Drawings and Prints

The Grove is a privately owned house museum. It is a Georgian stone residence, set up as a working home with tearooms and reception. It is George Town's most imposing early building which is believed to have been built circa 1830. It contains an interesting collection of furniture and antiques.300 major items plus many minor items
In this local history interpretation centre, an excellent collection of early photographs of the region are displayed with relevant objects, including wooden interactive models relating to mining. Fifteen historical monographs have been published and are for sale. The genealogy of Fingal, Portland and Ringarooma are stored on a database.20,000 negatives and prints, 1,500 objects and books, 200 genealogies in hard copy
Operated by the Glenorchy City Council, the Centre provides a large exhibition space. It also offers workshop facilities for community groups and artists.
The Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts is one of the State Library of Tasmania's heritage collections. It contains a collection of 18th and 19th century furniture, colonial paintings, silver and objets d'art, fine china and rare and antique books. The collection was left to the people of Tasmania by the late Henry Allport, a Hobart solicitor, and is housed on the ground floor of the State Library of Tasmania.7,000 books and manuscripts, 3,000 artworks, 2,000 photographs, approx 1,000 objects
Australia's oldest existing colonial gaol in original preservation offers the only surviving example of female solitary confinement cells in Tasmania and an extensive collection of convict relics. It includes men's solitary confinement cells, chain gang holding rooms, a flogging yard, privy, female cells and gaoler's house. Displayed documents describe the gaol's use until it was closed in 1928, highlighting the exploits of its most colourful prisoners (eg Martin Cash, Ikey Solomon).approximately 100 convict relics, plus documents
This is the art gallery of the Art Society of Tasmania. It displays changing exhibitions of art by members of the Society.
Runnymede an 1840's sandstone Regency villa surrounded by elegant lawns and gardens, focuses on aspects of Southern Tasmania's history. Today, as a house museum, it makes a strong statement about domestic life in the colony in the 1860's. It depicts the home environment of successful business and professional people, rather than that of the very rich. Through the three families who lived there over 120 years, Runnymede has close links with widely separate aspects of the colony's history. First, Scottish-born lawyer Robert Pitcairn, who played a part in the demise of convict transportation,...
The W.L Crowther Library is one of the State Library of Tasmania's heritage collections. Though primarily a library collection, it includes significant museum collections, especially relating to whaling, medical history and Tasmanian history.Approximately 14,000 library items, 1900 photo/albums, 270 artworks and 350 objects/groups of objects
Tasmania's state museum and art gallery established in the 1840s as the museum of the Royal Society of Tasmania. The buildings and site are of historical significance and include the first purpose built museum building dated 1863, the Commissariat Store 1808, the Cottage c1810 converted 1828, the Bond Store and Court Yard and Gateway 1823, the Queen's warehouse 1874, Art Gallery 1901, Custom House 1901 and extension of 1966 and 1986. The collections include Natural Sciences (Zoology, Botany, Geology), Applied Science, Humanities (Art, Decorative Arts, Costume, Social History, Indigenous...
The Pilot Station was est. in 1805, the oldest building on site was convict built in 1835 of blue stone rubble walls and convict handmade brick interior, this accommodated 4 pilots and their families and now houses the Maritime Museum, research centre & archives and the Sir Raymond Ferrall Gallery. The other dwellings house visitor accommodation and the Pilot Station crew.Maritime & communication memorabilia, diving suit & air pump, 9 lb cannon, whaling artifacts, items recovered from shipwrecks, signal flags, signal lanterns oil and electric, rope and knot display convict...
The National Trust properties are an integral part of Tasmania's unique heritage. They are maintained by the National Trust for your inspection and enjoyment. Take the time to visit these Properties and experience Tasmania's historic past first hand. See separate Guide entries for each property: Battery Point Walks, Clarendon, Entally House, Franklin House, Home Hill, Old Umbrella Shop, Penitentiary Chapel and Criminal Courts, Runnymede House, White House.House museums of the 1800's furnished in the period colonial and English furniture.
Clarendon, one of the great Georgian houses of Australia, was completed in 1838 for the wealthy woolgrower and merchant, James Cox. He was the second son of William Cox who pioneered the first road over the Blue Mountains in New South Wales.

Clarendon, situated on the banks of the South Esk with its extensive formal gardens and beautiful parklands, was given to the National Trust by Mrs. W. R. Menzies in 1962. The first restoration was completed in 1966, and in 1974 was restored to its original appearance by the addition of the portico and parapet. The house has been suitably...
The most historic of the Trust houses, Entally is thought to have been built in 1819 by Thomas Haydock Reibey, the eldest son of Mary & Thomas Reibey of Sydney. Shipping interests brought Thomas Reibey to Tasmania as early as 1816.Entally House was opened to the public in 1950 and is justly proud of its magnificent collection of Regency furniture and fine silverware. Set in superb grounds and gardens, Entally has a green house, chapel, coach house and stables also open for inspection.
Woolmers is of outstanding cultural significance because it has continuous association with the one family (Thomas Archer and his descendants), providing and encapsulated record of six generations of the family and the changes to their lifestyle, from the time the land was first settled in the Longford area, to the death of the last heir in 1994. It is the longest association in Tasmania. Woolmers has small museum status.Apart from the original house (1819) and the new additions in 1840's. The Extant outbuildings, workshop, cottages plant and artefacts are a unique record of the scale of...
The Galmorgan Spring Bay Historical Society was established to safeguard, maintain and collect local history for the municipality of Glamorgan Spring Bay. Important activities include response to family history research requests, gathering and safeguarding photographic and other records. Providing cultural enrichment and stimulation to the local community and participation in state and national historical activities.The collections core is a photographic record dating back to early life of white settlers in the area. Added to this are many records: diaries, letter, oral histories, books and...
A railway museum with working and static exhibits including Tasmania's oldest surviving steam locomotive. Trains run on the hour 10am to 4pm on a scenic line along the Don River to Coles Beach, Devonport. A large and varied collection of steam and diesel locomotives and passenger and revenue stock dating from 1869 to 1954. Stations, Signal box, communication equipment and railway memorabilia.11 x Steam Locomotives ; 7 x Diesel Locomotives and rail cars ; 26 x Passenger/Guards carriages, (50 +) x wagons and flat tray wagons, Railway cranes, extensive collection of tools, engineering equipment...
The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery is Launceston's cultural heartbeat and gateway to Tasmania's history and character. It tells the story of our lives and the time and place in which we live. It draws a map of who we are and where we've been. See separate Guide listings for the Community History Branch, the Inveresk museum site and the Launceston Planetarium.The Museum and Art Gallery holds collections of Australian colonial art, contemporary craft and design, Tasmanian history and natural sciences. Special features include a Chinese Temple, Planetarium and the interpretation of one of...
The Golden Dragon Museum is the first museum in Victoria to become accredited through the museum accreditation program in 1997. The Golden Dragon Museum provides a living history of The Chinese people of Bendigo from the goldrush of the 1850's to the present day. Central to the permanent display is Sun Loong, the longest imperial dragon in the world. The Museum also features one of the finest collections of Chinese processional regalia in the world, and several hundred Chinese coins, some dating back to 221 BC.Approximately 2000 photographs, including objects, embroidery and costumes. A...
Established as an artists' colony in the 1930s by Justus Jorgensen, Montsalvat is a cluster of medieval-styled buildings. The Great Hall contains paintings by Jorgensen and other members of the group.
Horsham Regional Art Gallery is housed in a fine art deco building, recently refurbished and extended in recent years. We have four temporary exhibition spaces featuring changing exhibitions of contemporary and traditional art photography. We are also recognised as one of the most friendly galleries!

Centrally located between the Grampians and Little Desert National Parks, and close to the world Mecca of rock climbing, Mt Arapiles, Horsham boasts a lively arts community, with one of the best community festivals, "Art is...", held in March each year.The collection has two...

Pages