Food Science

Built around 1855, the Victorian style double-storey building farmhouse is set in a spacious garden setting. It is furnished as a farmhouse of the 1875-1880 period, and is fully restored after an arson attack in 1994. Within the grounds are farm machinery, a smithy and buggy display, a Museum housing displays of artefacts, gowns and photographs and a Resource Centre.Approximately 500 items including archives and machinery
The Museum is housed primarily in the relocated office and weighbridge of the former Maffra Sugarbeet Factory, with an associated shed containing agricultural machinery. An audio-visual of sugarbeet growing around Maffra is included, as are small exhibitions on European exploration, Aborigines and pre-history. Archives and photographs are held off-site at Maffra Library. An extensive collection of Architectural plans is held.The Museum itself concentrates on collecting items relevant to the sugar beet industry. Local community archival material (including photographs) are held in the Flo...
The museum is operated by the Wangaratta Historical Society Inc. and is housed in the former Wangaratta Fire Station. The lower floor is divided into two display rooms and a research room, upstairs a storage area. Approximately 160 square metres of floor space. In addition there are a number of items on display in the cellar of the Vine Hotel at north Wangaratta.Smaller items of historical significance; household, commercial, industrial, agricultural military etc, from the Wangaratta District (we do not have space for large items such as farm vehicles). 10,000 photographs from the local area...
The Kyneton Museum collection is housed in a group of buildings, the most substantial of which was built in 1856 from local bluestone for the infant Bank of New South Wales. The branch was opened to service miners of the region's goldfields. Original outbuildings include kitchens, celler and stables, and these have been augmented by various outbuildings including an original settlers cottage which was relocated here in 1970. The outbuildings house the extensive agricultural display, whilst the kitchen and laundry show authentic household utensils. An original settler's cottage 'Theaden' is...
The Museum collection is housed in the old Esperance Railway Station building. It was officially opened in October 1976 and is staffed entirely by volunteers. Items from the wreckage of Skylab which crashed to earth near Esperance in 1979, a WAGR steam locomotive, exhibits from Sir Douglas Mawson's Antarctic expedition, a large agricultural machinery display, items from shipwrecks and items from early settlements make up a fascinating collection of exhibits. Restoration, accession, database, archival and display programmes are carried out.Estimated 4,000 items. Physical and documentary...
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen...
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum...
The building is the first permanent Courthouse in the Eastern Goldfields. It is part of the block of government buildings which is comprised of the Courthouse, Mining Registrar Offices and residences, Post Office and Residences. Construction commenced in 1892. The foundations are of local stone cemented together with mud. The walls are of locally made mud bricks.

Pages