Furniture

The Museum is situated in an old stone cottage of 4 rooms, one of the oldest buildings in town, having been built between 1847 and 1856 as a private residence. It was used as a bank by a number of banks from 1871 to the 1900s. It then became a residence again and when the owner died a group of interested people approached the RSL Club for permission to turn the cottage into a museum. It was agreed that a Historical Society be formed and after restoration of the cottage, the Museum was opened in October 1967. It was further restored in 1993 and now houses the Merriwa Tourist Information Centre...
The European settlement of Norfolk Island was founded in 1788 and the history of the island's European development has strong links to the Colonial development of NSW and Van Dieman's Land. Norfolk Island served as a convict settlement from 1788-1814 and again from 1825-1855 and was noted as a place of extreme punishment. In 1856, after the close of the second penal settlement, Norfolk Island became the home of 194 settlers from Pitcairn Island. These people were the direct descendants of the Bounty mutineers and they brought with them traditions, customs and language derived from their...
There are three exhibition galleries within the Grafton Regional Gallery - historic Prentice House, Main Gallery and The Loft. Major additions and renovations were completed in 1999. There are now state of the art exhibitions spaces, a multi-purpose studio workshop, an outdoor arena and collection storage facility. The gallery is home to the prestigious Jacaranda Acquisitive Drawing Award (JADA). With prize money of over $15,000, the JADA seeks to encourage and promote contemporary Australian drawing.The Gallery Collection of over 400 works is constantly growing through an active policy and...
This pioneer museum depicts the domestic and rural life of early Dubbo.Over 10,000 items
The Museum is housed in the former Wollombi Court House (1866). The exhibits are of a wide variety and reflect everyday life in the area. There are item relating for farming and mining as well as many household items. A major part of the collection is devoted to clothing. Another feature is the Wyndham collection, which consists of books, clothing, china, postcards, photos and furniture donated by the Wyndham family. The rear of the building has two cells used to house prisoners. The judges bench houses a growing photographic collection of the life and time of the area. Restored in 1954...
It is a fine example of a local history museum, well housed in premises attached to the Hunters Hill Town Hall, with objects displayed mainly in glass cabinets. The archives section is unfortunately very small, comprising shelving and steel filing cabinets. Files are kept in archive boxes, on book shelves and in the standard office type filing cabinets. The collection (material objects and ephemera) reflects aspects of local community life and environment. Hunters Hill, sometimes referred to as the "French Village", is a garden suburb of Sydney, where Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers...
Experiment Farm Cottage stands on the Colony's first land grant, Governor Phillip's reward to convict farmer James Ruse in 1791 for his successful farming experiment on this site. Colonial Surgeon John Harris bought Ruse's land in 1793 and built the existing Cottage in 1834. It is furnished to reflect the times and taste of Dr Harris. The cellar houses a permanent exhibition on the life of James Ruse.Approx 500 items of furniture and artefacts
The museum was built in 1872 of bricks made in Brewarrina. In June 1999 the museum will move down the street into the bowling club building, with tourism and information.Approx 1000 items and 400 photos. Items of local history are on display behind the courthouse once used as lock-up keeper's residence and connected to the rear of the courtroom.
A large 24 room folk museum established in the old Glen Innes Hospital. Land of the Beardies houses a very wide and representative collection of objects, artefacts and documents dating back to early settlement in the 1840s. It also provides an outside machinery exhibit and an archive and research centre with over 200,000 references.Over 10,000 items
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...
The museum's local history collection includes furniture, clothing, books, china, machinery and photos. These items are displayed in a bedroom, parlour and sewing room of a 1920s house and in an extension. Separate rooms have been devoted to materials from the Returned Service League and to the writer Miles Franklin. A large machinery shed holds agricultural equipment and large domestic machinery. School photos and memorabilia are also available.Collection covers items and information believed relevant to the history of Tumut and district. Textiles of the last century including articles worn...
Neotsfield was established from a land grant to Henry Dangar in 1825. The main house and stables were constructed from sun dried bricks made on site by convict labour. The eastern and western wings were added a little later to provide a U shaped courtyard. The property, buildings and outbuildings are of significant historic and architectural importance. The admission fee includes a guided tour of the house, outbuildings, formal garden and exhibitions.
The home and studio (1942-1970) of the late three times Archibald Prize winner, Sir William Dobell, and his sister, Thirza Alice, is maintained by local volunteers as a memorial museum. The house is on the interim list of the National Estates Register and contains original furniture, possessions, memorabilia, family mementoes, photographs and prints of his works are displayed. The house is also a centre for promotion of local community arts activities and exhibitions.Estimated 700-800 items. Original furniture, possessions, memorabilia, family mementos, photographs and prints of his works...
The Pioneer Women's hut is a small national museum run by volunteers and representing working class rural women (farm and town) and their families. The collection reflects everyday life and is shown in changing displays on themes such as: Coping With Flies; Mondays; Time For Fancywork; Hidden Lives.1700 objects, 300 magazines, 200 books
Berrima Museum is located in the historic village of Berrima, NSW, mid-way between Sydney and Canberra. The museum is managed and operated by volunteers of Berrima District Historical and Family History Society Inc, founded in 1960. Berrima Museum has been described as one of the best volunteer run museums in New South Wales. Its Mittagong archives contain an extensive collection of the history of the Berrima District, known today as the Wingecarribee Shire. Support material for the museum's displays is sourced from the archives. The museum was established in 1976 following the donation by...
Built in 1895, this two-storey former hotel opened as a museum in 1971. There are 22 rooms housing turn of the century fashions, furnishing and artefacts. Features include a kitchen; laundry; slab school house and historic machinery displayed in the grounds.600 varied items; 1 ha. machinery items
The Museum is housed in the restored station masters former residence circa 1883. It is furnished in period furniture from the 1880-1890s. The Museum is pursuing railway heritage items as one of it's collection strengths.200 items
The collection housed the Royal Australian Navy's presentations, relics and trophies, in buildings originally designed to warehouse armaments and ammunition. These are located on an island at the extreme western end of Sydney Harbour. The buildings date from 1865. Items from the collection are lent to most major maritime and military museums and throughout the Royal Australian Navy.Over 750,000 items
House containing personal items belonging to former Prime Minister of Australia Ben Chifley.

Pages