Glass

High on a hill, with the mountain ranges as a backdrop, this 1882 pioneer home sits lovingly restored and furnished by the Wandin Community. The house built of hand made bricks produced on the site, was finished in 1862. It was built by Henry Sebire, a stonemason, who originally came from Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Journey back to pioneer life in the 1800's as your guide escorts you through the Homestead, St Mary's Chapel, the historic garden and other interesting buildings, or view the Wandin collection of artefacts in our Museum. You may simply want to visit Martha's tearoom and...
Rippon Lea is the last of Australia's great privately owned 19th century suburban estates to survive largely intact. Commissioned by Frederick Sargood in 1868, the house, designed by Joseph Reed is in the Lombardic Romanesque style. The extensive garden retains 14 of the original 45 acres, and features a lake, grotto, gardens, buildings and a magnificent fernery. The garden was preserved by the last owners Ben Nathan and his daughter Louisa Jones. Mrs Jones modified the interior of the house in the 1930s, adding a glamorous Hollywood-style swimming pool. Mrs Jones gave Rippon Lea to the...
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
The Gallery holds a collection of European and Australian paintings, prints and decorative arts from the 1700s, ethnographic material, antiquities and oriental decorative arts. It includes a large collection of works by the eighteenth-century English artist Paul Sandby.Approximately 7,000 items – Australian and English paintings and prints (1700s to contemporary), Greek and Roman Antiquities, Oriental Ceramics from the Han dynasty onwards, European glass, silver and ceramics (1700s to contemporary).
The Portland CEMA Arts Centre is a multipurpose venue utilised by community organisations and hirers for meetings, workshops, rehearsals performance and exhibitions. Its collection includes a selection of prints, drawings, watercolours and oil collected during the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Highlights are a selection of Botanical drawings by the late Colin Woolcock and commissioned works in copper by the late Ronald Skate (c1980).
John Alexander, stonemason of Montrose Scotland, arrived in Ballarat, 1853, to build real history just 900 metres from the site of the 1854 Eureka Stockade, where the miners stood their ground against the harsh gold tax imposed by the government. In its middle class simple living style, Montrose captures our Celtic inheritance. Faithfully restored, Montrose is beautifully authentic, presenting an excellent portrayal of the personal trials and tribulations of our forebears. It now remains as possibly the finest restoration example of an authentic goldfields building, extant in Victoria. Today...
Museum established 1954. Two floors of displays - approx 250 sq metres. Began as collection relevant to background of the Bible and continues that thrust. Education programs for booked groups is main activity. All funding private.Approximately 2,500 objects. Antiquities from Egypt, Eastern Mediterranean, Levant and Mesopotamia. Strengths in Palestinian Pottery and Egyptian Pottery. Syrian Glass, Clay tablets, Mummified Child, Replicas.

This unique Museum is built from 13,569 bottles. A collection of old bottles, rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, memorabilia is housed inside. A Dutch Windmill built from 5,000 bottles with a turning sail is a feature of the Museum, which is situated close to the scenic Kinglake National Park.Approximately 4 000 items

While Australia's oldest public art gallery The National Gallery of Victoria undergoes a program of redevelopment, a temporary gallery is located at 285-321 Russell Street. The magnificently restored 19th century galleries at Russell Street house over 700 key works from the NGV's permanent collection. The National Gallery of Victoria on Russell marks the Gallery's return to its original home, which it occupied from 1861 until the move to the Roy Ground's designed building in St Kilda Road in 1968.

The National Gallery of Victoria International Art will open in 2002 at the St Kilda...
Displayed at the Colac Historical Centre, the collection of eighty four historic bottles from Colac and its districts is on permanent loan to the City of Colac.84 Bottles
Main collections include: Goldmining and life on the goldfields, R.E. Johns Aboriginal Collection, Beechworth Chinese Community Collection, Local Families, Identities Collection, Natural History and Development, Archives, Ned Kelly.In 1863 the Burke Museum was added to the Beechworth Public Library and Athenaeum (est 1856) in honour of Robert O'Hara Burke, the explorer of Burke and Wills fame. Today the Burke Museum presents cultural and natural heritage material, which contributes to the understanding and appreciation of the customs, activities, historic episodes, the natural environment and...
Completed in 1890, Labassa is a French Renaissance mansion significant for the relative completeness of its richly decorated and finely executed interiors.300 objects. Labassa features detailed stencilling, rich heavy wallpapers and a grand staircase with a magnificent stained-glass window and rare trompe l'oeil ceiling.
The mission of the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) is to be an independent membership organisation committed to the conservation of our heritage by our own action and by involvement and education of the community. Tasma Terrace is the principal office and is open weekdays, 9.00am to 5.00pm for enquiries, joining the trust and purchase of books and gifts. It is not however a museum property.The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) manages and opens the doors of many significant historical properties and gardens across Victoria. See separate Guide entries for Como Historic House and...
The Tilly Aston Heritage Collection is owned by Vision Australia Foundation, an organisation that has operated as a service provider for blind and vision impaired people since 1895. The collection's namesake, Tilly Aston, co founded the Association for the Advancement of the Blind (now Vision Australia Foundation), at the age of 21 and successfully obtained voting rights, transport concessions and a pension for blind people in addition to free postage for Braille material. Many of these achievements were at the forefront of worldwide change. The heritage collection represents this amazing...
Bundoora Homestead is a magnificent Queen Anne style Federation building registered by Heritage Victoria and certified by The National Trust. The Gallery hosts a year round exhibition program that includes both contemporary and earlier fine and decorative arts. The café at Bundoora Homestead offers a lunch menu.Bundoora Homestead displays temporary and permanent exhibitions. The collection consists of historical objects relating to the history of the homestead.
This eleven room wattle and daub cottage built circa 1832 consists of an entry, box room, parlour, nursery, bedroom, dining room, family room, sewing room, kitchen, laundry and side verandah. Appropriate artefacts covering several eras are in the various rooms, with display cases in every room. Set in a neat garden surroundsAccessioned photographs number 8,000. Accessioned artworks number 500. There are some 7,000 artifacts of all types.
Two storey building of stone, constructed in 1870 by the Peninsular and Oriental Steamship Navigation Company as a Cooperative Society Store for their goods, employees and families. From circa 1885 the building had a variety of uses - as a printery, soft drink factory, lodging house, apartments, and railway employees barracks (1973-1991). Extra rooms and a verandah were added circa 1935. It is currently leased to Albany Historical Society and used as a storage museum for the artefacts, visual art and photography not on display. Accessioning, conservation of artefacts, administration and...
Maritime museum focussing on display of shipwreck material. Housed in a registered historic building - the former convict built government commissariat (built in 1851, with later additions). A major 'icon' is the reconstructed hull of the Dutch East India 'Batavia' (1629) and associated objects. The Batavia mutiny story is a major feature.Over 25,000 shipwreck relics. Artefacts associated with historic shipwreck sites in Western Australia dating from 17th to the 20th Century. Mainly archaeological material recovered in the course of underwater excavations. Includes structural elements of wood...
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen...
WA’s largest regional museum, the new Western Australian Museum Geraldton showcases the Mid West region with original displays that intrigue, inform and inspire.
Located on the waterfront on the magnificent Batavia Coast Marina, the building itself symbolises the meeting of the land and the sea, a theme that is present throughout the Museum.
Three permanent galleries are housed within the Museum - the Mid West Gallery, Shipwreck Gallery and Aboriginal Gallery as well as a travelling exhibition hall and theatrette screening re-enactments of the famous Batavia mutiny.
Stepping...

Pages