Hunting, Fishing, Trapping

The museum's collection was commenced by the late Arther Jeffrey in 1972 and is housed in two buildings. The original museum has been moved to its present site and restored to hold memorabilia of early shire life. The main building houses Maritime and Endeavour displays, aboriginal artefacts, a photographic display and the reading room. Also on display are natural history objects including Sir Joseph Banks' plant studies, as well as coral, shell, fossil and rock collections .Significant items in the collection include the Endeavour voyage book, objects relating to Banks and Solander and their...
Yalga-binbi's main role is conducting community development consultancies and adult education in urban and rural settings. It is part of Shalom Community Development Services along with Shalom Teaching College (indigenous p-12 school), Elders Village, construction company etc, all set up by VAICCCollected between 1993 and 1996 (with some earlier works) Made with Meaning is a survey of the contemporary artwork of the Aboriginal people of Far North Queensland. Work comes from rural towns and remote communities of Cape York Peninsula, Gulf Country and rainforest cultures and environments. The...
The Museum is housed in an original river boat "Captain's Cottage" and details the history of Murray Bridge, the importance of the Murray River in the growth of the township and surrounding areas. It also outlines the process of swamp reclamation and the consequent dairy industry which has been a major part of the local industry. Model river boats and cottages are also on display.Approximately 5,500 items, 250 photographs
The museum is housed in the Hog Bay School building, the third school to be built on the site (1922). The first room you enter is the Maritime Room, this displays the history and shipwrecks of Kangaroo Island. The School Porch houses the displays of schooling. The Schoolroom has displays on Early Settlers, including aboriginal women, agriculture, industry, communications and social and domestic life are portrayed.2,000 items, 700 photographs. The displays are organised in such a way that the visitor quickly gains a feel for the history of Kangaroo Island, especially maritime, education, early...
The Museum is housed in a former General Store and timber yard. The collection comprises machinery, tools, clothing, photographs and household goods used by early settlers in the district. Each summer holidays an exhibition is held in the museum as an added attraction.Approximately 2,000 items
Local history of the district from 1880. Special sections on agriculture, entertainment, sports, marine, schools, churches, transport, household items, photographs, maps and books. The museum if also responsible for the care of Stokes Methodist Church and Pioneer Women's Memorial. Caretakers of the Provis Memorial Park. Markers at the sites of early schools and other places of historical interest. Listing of the heritage listed buildings in the area.900 items, 450 photographs. Memorabilia of local - transport, churches, schools, shipping, shops, early settlers, agriculture, entertainment,...
A local and social history museum depicting the heritage of Wallaroo. Main themes: copper mining and smelting period (1861-1923) History of the port of Wallaroo since 1861. General local history - sport, entertainment, industry, civic affairs and religion. Located in the first post office building 1865-1910. Has been Museum building since 1975.Over 3,000 exhibits depict the Industrial, Mining, Smelting, Maritime and Social History of the port of Wallaroo. The Museum is also home to the former Tipara Reef Lighthouse (1877-1996) Re-located to the Museum in 2001.
This privately owned tourist complex contains an extensive museum housed in 5 buildings with over 100 metres of glass show cases. Over 100 collection are featured, including displays of antiques, gemstones, butterflies, clocks, weapons, cameras, coins, birds eggs, badges, irons, bottles, fossils and shells. A feature of the complex is a display of local reptiles.120 varied collections
The Streaky Bay Museum is housed in the old school. It includes the family history of the Campbell family (1864), the Kelsh family (1860) Kelsh pioneer pug and pine cottage, the Freeman family (1856) and Mudge family 1855, as well as machinery dating back to the 1880s.A large collection of great variey. Furniture, household items, farm machinery, historic buildings, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and medical artefacts and instruments.. The collection is a source of local history of people and their way of life through the years.
This historical building holds a collection of local history items and memorabilia relating to whaling, fishing, agriculture and social history. A blacksmith shop is part of the complex, with the upstairs furnished in 1890s style.
Signal Point River Murray Interpretive Centre is housed in modern, purpose-built quarters in the river front historic precinct of Goolwa. The centre is built in the site of the original Murray Mouth Navigational signal Mast/Station. Displays at the centre celebrate the life and times of the "Murray River Trade", and draws attention to environmental and ecological challenges to the inland river system today.Static displays of local and Riverine History, paddle steamer models, inter-active displays of environmental problems, theatre, geomorphological displays on the origins of the...
A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
The W.L Crowther Library is one of the State Library of Tasmania's heritage collections. Though primarily a library collection, it includes significant museum collections, especially relating to whaling, medical history and Tasmanian history.Approximately 14,000 library items, 1900 photo/albums, 270 artworks and 350 objects/groups of objects
The National Trust properties are an integral part of Tasmania's unique heritage. They are maintained by the National Trust for your inspection and enjoyment. Take the time to visit these Properties and experience Tasmania's historic past first hand. See separate Guide entries for each property: Battery Point Walks, Clarendon, Entally House, Franklin House, Home Hill, Old Umbrella Shop, Penitentiary Chapel and Criminal Courts, Runnymede House, White House.House museums of the 1800's furnished in the period colonial and English furniture.
Brambuk Aboriginal Cultural Centre is a unique and award winning design based on the open wings of the white Cockatoo - totem of the Grampians/Gariwerd region. Brambuk is committed to education, training and employment of Indigenous people and the preservation and promotion of culture. It is 100% owned and operated by Aboriginal People.Aboriginal artefacts ranging in age from today to 40,000 years ago. Contemporary and traditional arts and craft, contemporary and traditional dance and stories.
The Cottage is furnished in the early 1900s style and contains many maps and photographs. Farm machinery and fishing gear are housed in the implement shed that sits in the Cottage's yard.
Our Museum consists of a house and various out buildings located on two town blocks in Port Welshpool. The collection is spread over the whole area. Our strong point is the early fishing industry in Corner Inlet, including a daily diary kept by the Smith family from 1887-1958. Housed in Welshpool's first residence (1881), the Museum contains a local history collection that includes natural history objects, fishing and maritime artefacts. Original display cases house a magnificent shell collection that dates from the 1800s.Our collection is the contents of the house which is now the museum,...
Louis Michel was the first person to discover gold in Australia. He did so in Anderson Creek, Warrandyte. Many famous artists have lived and worked here, many noted potters and craftsmen have lived and died here. The area has survived severe droughts, floods and raging fires. There has always been and always will be a good sense of community spirit in Warrandyte.Over 1000 photographs and a significant collection of archival materials, plus a modest collection of artefacts relating to gold mining and associated industries. Also artefacts from the indigenous culture and our artistic past.
Apollo Bay Old Cable Station Museum is housed in the Cable Station built in 1936 as the mainland terminal to the first undersea telephone link to Tasmania. The Museum is operated by the Apollo Bay and District Historical Society Inc.Approximately 5,000 photographs
The Museum is dedicated to conserving and displaying items relating to the local history of the Borough of Queenscliffe since 1838. The diverse collection reflects the many aspects of the development of Queenscliffe; sea pilot station, fishing village, military guardian of Port Phillip Bay and fashionable sea-side resort. The museum building is set in a grassed reserve between the Post Office and the Library in the main street of Queenscliff and houses both temporary and permanent exhibitions.Photographs from 1862 representing people, buildings, installations and the marine environment....

Pages