Lighting

A 30 room complex of men's cell blocks and some warder's quarters built in 1852 for imperial convicts shipped to WA as artisans and skilled labourers. Women's cells, the great hall and more warder's quarters were constructed of brick in 1872-75. At this time the complex was also used as a colonial prison. It was last used as a police lockup in the great depression of the 1930s. Extensive restoration from 1989 to 1996 returned its condition to as original as possible. Cells, warder's quarters, and the great hall contain appropriate displays.Accessioned photographs number 8,000....
Two storey building of stone, constructed in 1870 by the Peninsular and Oriental Steamship Navigation Company as a Cooperative Society Store for their goods, employees and families. From circa 1885 the building had a variety of uses - as a printery, soft drink factory, lodging house, apartments, and railway employees barracks (1973-1991). Extra rooms and a verandah were added circa 1935. It is currently leased to Albany Historical Society and used as a storage museum for the artefacts, visual art and photography not on display. Accessioning, conservation of artefacts, administration and...
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen...
Onslow Museum is housed in The Old Goods Shed which was transported over by Camel Train from the Old Town of Onslow in 1925. As it is an Historical Building it has been classified by the National Trust. Many larger items, such as the train and carriage used in transport of goods from the jetty, are on The wool ramps adjacent to the building.Artifacts relating to the pioneering days of the Onslow and surrounding Ashburton/ Pilbara district, plus a collection of photographs.
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum...

Pages