Local History

'Addington' is Australia's oldest remaining settlers cottage, pre-dating 1800. The house contains a collection of regional historic memorabilia, particularly memorabilia relating to Boy Scout and Girl Guide activity within the Ryde and surrounding districts.
The Great Lakes Historical Museum has a fine display of historic buildings from the Great Lakes area including the original National Bank at Forster (a 1940's cottage); the Tuncurry Public school, built in 1886; the Cheers family cottage, built in the 1940s; and the original Tuncurry police station lock-up which was used from 1948-59. In the grounds of the museum there is a typical 1960's fishing boat, a working windmill which pumps water for our lawns and various artefacts relating to the local history. The buildings have all been fully refurbished and contain interesting displays. The...
The museum is in a granite 2 storeyed building - the Royal Hotel 1845. It was owned by surveyor James Larmer who accompnied Mitchell on exploration trips and surveyed all the South East of the colony. The building was bought by Grand United Order of Oddfellows in 1882 and two large halls were added for meetings and balls. It is situated in the main street of Braidwood, a National Trust town. There is a speaker or excursion each month, an annual dinner in June.2100 artefacts, 900 photographs are of local origin. A unique attraction is the Nomchong collection. This family were traders in the...
The home and studio (1942-1970) of the late three times Archibald Prize winner, Sir William Dobell, and his sister, Thirza Alice, is maintained by local volunteers as a memorial museum. The house is on the interim list of the National Estates Register and contains original furniture, possessions, memorabilia, family mementoes, photographs and prints of his works are displayed. The house is also a centre for promotion of local community arts activities and exhibitions.Estimated 700-800 items. Original furniture, possessions, memorabilia, family mementos, photographs and prints of his works...
The Lismore Visitor and Heritage Centre provides tourist information, a large range of local arts and crafts, and a walk through representation of a rainforest. An historical section includes intricate models of life in the area.
The St. George Regional Museum is maintained and run by Hurstville City Council, as a facility designed to collect, preserve, interpret and exhibit artefacts that relate to the history, heritage and culture of the regional area. The Museum is an ever changing entity designed to adapt to the needs of the local community, through interesting educational and public programs and special events.The St. George Regional Museum collects, records, researches, preserves, displays and stores material culture from the St. George district pre-1788 to 1970. The material culture collected will be used in...
McCrossin's Mill Museum and function centre is owned and operated by volunteers of Uralla Historical Society. The superbly restored three-storey flour mill houses many exhibitions, each with a distinctive, sometimes even humorous flavour. Visitors are astonished to find such a "Professional" set up in the quaint village of Uralla. Population 2,500. They also love the mill's beautifully maintained gardens, and the "Death of Thunderbolt" Painting series.Major features: Chinese Artefacts, "Death of Thunderbolt paintings", Thunderbolt Exhibition, Corporal Cecil...
The Newcastle Region Maritime Museum is housed within the grounds of Fort Scratchley. Fine examples of small boats, model ships and maritime artefacts are on display together with exhibits relating to Newcastle's port development over the last two centuries. The Museum has an extensive collection of photographs and paintings. The Maritime Museum holds the annual Newcastle Maritime Festival held on the last weekend in January.30,000 shipping photographs, 5000 maritime artefacts and archival material, 2000 library items
Established in 1872, this is the oldest operating foundry in Australia. It is famous for its production of iron lace, ornamental and other castings. It also has an extensive collection of cedar patterns and early blacksmiths' and founders' tools. The entire foundry is in original working condition and is a fascinating industrial relic.Industrial Design, metalwork, woodwork, archaeology and antiquities, archives, cultural heritage, domestic items and technology, education and schools, images, local history, professions and trades, rural life, social history, engineering, horse-drawn...
Berrima Museum is located in the historic village of Berrima, NSW, mid-way between Sydney and Canberra. The museum is managed and operated by volunteers of Berrima District Historical and Family History Society Inc, founded in 1960. Berrima Museum has been described as one of the best volunteer run museums in New South Wales. Its Mittagong archives contain an extensive collection of the history of the Berrima District, known today as the Wingecarribee Shire. Support material for the museum's displays is sourced from the archives. The museum was established in 1976 following the donation by...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
Restored as a bicentennial project, the two-storey sandstone building which houses this museum was formerly a house and shop. Dating from the 1840's it is one of the oldest stone buildings in Muswellbrook, and it's displays include antiques, artefacts and items of local and historical interest.Over 1,000 photographs; over 1,000 items
Built in 1895, this two-storey former hotel opened as a museum in 1971. There are 22 rooms housing turn of the century fashions, furnishing and artefacts. Features include a kitchen; laundry; slab school house and historic machinery displayed in the grounds.600 varied items; 1 ha. machinery items
Historical papers, photos and memorabilia on the building of Sydney Harbour Bridge are on display at the bridge. The exhibition includes video material of the bridge being built and harbour tunnel footage.50 items; 100 photographs

The museum exhibits relate to the town of Murrurundi and the surrounding district. In addition to the exhibits, files are made up of many aspects of the lifestyle and achievements of those who have lived there since 1840 when the town of Murrurundi was first laid out. The twin town of Haydonton was laid out in 1841-42 by Thomas Haydon and was a private town. Files of many families are featured. The Fishburn Room contains a splendid model of HMS Endeavour which was built by Thomas Fishburn and acquired by Captain Cook who refitted it before sailing in it on his voyage of discovery.1500...

This local history collection covers Manly and Warringah, with an emphasis on Pittwater. It includes photographs, books, documents and newspaper cuttings. Displays are available for loan and can be specifically created to suit the user.3,000 photographs; 250 books; files & documents
The Sydney Children's museum is a hands on science and technology centre for children between the ages of two and twelve. Available also is a science program which travels to Preschools, Special needs groups and Vacation care centres within the Sydney and surrounding areas.The museum has outdoor activities for schools with a large park and interactive playground, catered children's birthday parties and 44 hands on interactive exhibits.44 hands on interactive exhibits for children aged between 2yrs and 12yrs.
Volunteer organisation housed in historic bank building, locally heritage listed. The collection comprises items and memorabilia donated by the local community. All relate to the area's agricultural and dairying past and to Berry's origins as an estate town of Coolangatta Estate. There is a good collection of early twentieth century photographs (some original) taken locally; and records relating to local families are maintained. The building which houses the collection (rented from Council) is a former ESA bank building designed by nineteenth century architect William W Wardell. It...
The building was formerly the local tourist information centre. Steel frame with brick walls and asbestos sheeting roof. It is situated off the main street and on the bank of the Richmond River. The town library, swimming pool and new tourist facility are adjacent. Just under 18,000 visitors for 1998, mostly from outside the area.The La Balsas raft is the main feature. The collection includes models of naval ships, sailing vessels, merchant shipping and many associated photographs, paintings, uniforms and other militaria.
General local history of the Bathurst region is featured in this collection of the Historical Society. Archives and photographs are included.1360 collection items.

Pages