Local History

The collection housed the Royal Australian Navy's presentations, relics and trophies, in buildings originally designed to warehouse armaments and ammunition. These are located on an island at the extreme western end of Sydney Harbour. The buildings date from 1865. Items from the collection are lent to most major maritime and military museums and throughout the Royal Australian Navy.Over 750,000 items
House containing personal items belonging to former Prime Minister of Australia Ben Chifley.
A Beau Geste-style fortress structure houses this social history museum. Its emphasis is on military history, with exhibits ranging from a Japanese tank to miniature soldiers. The Museum also features a historic comics section, stamps, hundreds of cameras, rare musical instruments and other items of general and Australian historical interest.
Housed in a 1900s weatherboard school house, the Museum numbers over 4,000 items, representing the rural and coal fields heritage of the region. Its two classrooms still contain original fittings, such as desks and forms, blackboards, and wall maps to retain the character and function of the building. Items displayed range from buttons to pianos and organs. Rare and old books dating from the 1830s are a feature. The collection is typical of any country town, depicting the typical lifestyle of the region from the 1920s.4,000 items, 400 photographs, 100 postcards, 400 books
Established in 1930, the Gallery & Museum houses an art collection which was started in 1924. The building was significantly enlarged in 1982, with the addition of the Museum section. The Gallery section presents temporary exhibitions that explores our cultural landscape. The Museum section focuses on early beach fashions, surfcraft and historical photographs. The Gallery and Museum is also active in the preservation of Manly's unique and colourful history.
Current exhibitions:
'Future Function' is an exhibition featuring twenty-eight ceramic artists, which explores the...
The Museum traces Westpac's history from its beginnings in 1817 as the Bank of NSW to the present age of plastic cards and electronic banking. It features dateline exhibits in chronological order; authentic room settings of early banks, a working branch of the 1890s and a programmed computer which answers commonly asked questions.The Westpac Museum presents: "Then and Now: A Journey from Melbourne in 1956 to Sydney 2000", comparing the technological, financial and social changes since the 1956 Melbourne games leading up to Sydney 2000 Olympics.
Housed in a historic weatherboard building which was formerly a Salvation Army Hall, the Henry Lawson Centre is a living memorial to the great Australian writer's life and times. It houses a fine collection of Lawsonia from all parts of Australia and is a repository for books, writings and memorabilia. Art representing Lawson's work is displayed in the building, which also functions as a study centre. The Henry Lawson Society holds an annual literary award progam which is incorporated into a Henry Lawson Festival in the June long weekend.Rated as possibly the best Henry Lawson collection in...
Originally an Inn (1857-1868), then a private school (1868-1886), Garroorigang has been the private home of the Hume family for over a century. Mr Hume was Goulburn's well known historian, and a collateral descendant of explorer Hamilton Hume. The house features an exquisite Victorian drawing room, a collection of Victorian kitchenware, relics of the convict and bushranging eras and Australiana.Original antique furniture of original 1868 owners of the home. Many items of Victorian Australia and relics of bush ranging and convict days plus the Hume family.
A small museum with a very comprehensive display of historical photos relevant to Yamba's history, some working models (eg. the lighthouse, the railway which was used to build Yamba's breakwater walls), some artefacts and a large quantity of reading material (newspaper cuttings, historical books etc).850 historical artefacts; 300 books; over 1,000 photographs, plus ten photograph albums and ten volumes of newspaper cuttings
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
Tocal Homestead is a collection of buildings dating from the 1820s including Webber's Cottage (1822), Blacksmith shop (1820s), Stone Barn (1830), Tocal Homestead (1841), Brick Stables (1860s) and Blacket Barn (1868). The Homestead itself, as with the out buildings, has remained virtually unchanged since its construction. The site also has evidence of Aboriginal inhabitants. The property Tocal originally operated as a sheep and horticultural enterprise, later becoming famous for its stud cattle and thoroughbred race horses Other features of the site include a bottle collection, graves,...
The main museum building was Mullumbimby's first post office, built in timber in 1907, which was relocated to its present site in 1984. Summers Park in which the museum buildings and external exhibits are located, has a replica slab cottage, a large collection of horse drawn farm implements, and equipment from the local railway, water supply facility and brick works. Mullumbimby is the service centre for the Brunswick Valley and lies in the heart of the Byron Shire. A monthly market is held in Summers Park on the third Saturday of each month.The Museum houses a general collection of local...
The Museum was formerly the Kandos Methodist Church, a unique building built to an American plan, brought to the town by the manager of NSW Cement, Lime and Coal Co. in 1915.

The Museum has a strong focus on the Cement industry based in this shire. It is possibly the only Museum in the state to collect, record and present the history and devlopment of the cement industry. There are also large collections relating to the domestic, agricultural, leisure, communications and transport history of the area. An extensive photograph collection together with written records relating to the...
Carss Cottage was built in the 1860s by William Carss, a Scottish emigrant and cabinet maker who came to Australia in 1831, brought here by the Reverend John Dunmore Lang. The Museum promotes Australian history, particularly that of the Kogarah municipality. Its displays are continually changing, highlighting local and national events. The collection includes a great variety of photographs, needlework, furniture etc.Approximately 2,000 items; 2,000 photographs
The museum is located in the unused refreshment rooms and staff accommodation areas of the heritage listed Mt Victoria Railway Station. The museum's collection contains early Australian memorabilia, local artefacts and the documented history of the districts early settlers. A collection of railway refreshment room memorabilia and a collection of artefacts recovered during the archaeological investigation of the Cox's River convict stockade are featured in the display.The collection comprises some 2,000 objects and 1,000 photographs. Farm machinery, household items furniture and paintings,...
Chiefly an audiovisual museum, The Story Of Nyngan is housed in the restored railway refreshment room. It includes some artefacts, and has a particular emphasis on the 1990 flood which inundated the town. Photograph records of white settlement, including local personalities, are held.
Richmond Vale Railway Museum was commenced in 1979 to rebuild the abandoned private railways of the J & A Brown coalmining family. The museum now operates steam engine - hauled passenger trains between former collieries of Richmond main and Pelaw main. The historic park occupies the site of what was once the largest shaft mine in the southern hemisphere. Many of the buildings have been restored.9 Steam locomotives used by local industries, 2 ex BHP steam cranes, which were used to build Newcastle steelworks. Four industrial diesel locomotives. 21 Passenger carriages, 62 ex government...
Elizabeth Bay House was constructed from 1835-1839, under the supervision of N.S.W based architects John Verge and John Bibb, from plans obtained from an unidentified English source for Alexander Macleay, Colonial Secretary of N.S.W 1826-1837 and his wife, Eliza. The house was intended to be the finest house in the colony. It was built within a celebrated landscape garden which was developed from 1826 onwards. Today the interiors of Elizabeth Bay house have been carefully reconstructed to the 1839-1845 period. Appropriate furniture, wallpaper, carpets, soft furnishings and fittings...
Since its opening in 1968, the Gundagai Museum has displayed a wealth of historical memorabilia depicting a life that was both hard and gracious. Special exhibits include Phar Lap's saddlecloth, the shirt worn by Banjo Patterson's Kiley of Kileys Run and the assayer's bowl used by US President Herbert Hoover. The museum also features displays on bushrangers; Melba XV; the famous Gundagai cow; and Aboriginal hero Yarri. Other items in its collection include scaled models of early buildings and historical photographs and documents.Approximately 10,000 items of historical memorabilia
A public plaza, First Government Place, preserves the site of the first Government House (1788). A modern museum explores the meanings of 1788 as a critical turning point in the history of Australians, with displays on Aboriginality, the environment, trading and meeting, transport, power, law authority, everyday life.150 prints and photographs; 100 Museum of Sydney and First Government house objects.

Pages