Local History

Visitors can explore all aspects of Cobar's unique industrial, pastoral, Aboriginal and social history during a visit to the centre. Displays are housed in the Great Cobar Copper Mine's magnificent administration building erected in 1910. Interpretive signs outside guide visitors through the grounds and an amazing collection of mining and transport artefacts, and on to the surrounding heritage areas.20,000 objects relating to the social, mining, pastoral and Aboriginal history of the Cobar district, ranging from large transport to fine instruments. Includes over 3,000 photographs and 50 art...
The museum is housed in a 100 year old weatherboard cottage with additional items held in a re-located cottage and sheds. There are also displays outside. The collection began as a Bicentenary celebration project and features displays depicting the history of Junee and district, and family histories.
The museum is devoted to the preservation of all manner of items from the railways of New South Wales, including the Dorrigo Branch line. There are currently 57 locomotives, 300 carriages and wagons and thousands of small exhibits. Work continues on preparing the site for the display of trains and carriages. While no date has been determined for the official opening there are plans to have open days when the public will have the opportunity to view the exhibits. Totally volunteer organisation with 700 members, membership details available on request.The largest preserved railway...
The Campbelltown Gallery was purpose built as a Bicentenary project. The building was designed to incorporate exhibition spaces, a library, kitchen facilities for major functions as well as workshop spaces for community and educational art and craft classes. A stimulating and diverse range of local, regional and national exhibitions are displayed. Adjoining the gallery is the rapidly developing Sculpture Garden and a Japanese Teahouse Garden. The Gallery offers workshop courses in a range of art and craft disciplines.The Campbelltown Gallery has a commitment to collecting works that...
The Museum houses a collection of historic artefacts, some pertaining to Gilgandra. The Cooee March Room contains memorabilia of the Boer War, World War I (Grace March) and World War II. A large shed houses rural and outdoor exhibits of machinery and historic buildings.
The Museum holds a large collection of household items, farm machinery, tools, furniture, and books with photographs of people and places from early times. Memorabilia from Boer and World Wars is also kept.
The NSW Lancers Memorial Museum commemorates the history of the NSW Lancers, Australian Light Horse, Cavalry and the Armoured Corps. Situated in 19th Century Lancer Barracks, the Museum has a large collection of cavalry and armoured corps memorabilia including a well maintained collection of armoured vehicles. The Museum contains New South Wales Cavalry and Light Horse memorabilia as well as memorabilia, photographic equipment and vehicles from the Royal Australian Armoured Corp.The collection has many strengths. It includes uniforms, saddlery, banners, drums, photos, models and armoured...
Visitors to this working museum can view a collection of light railway equipment in progressive stages of restoration, and on steaming days, ride in vintage carriages behind steam locomotives. The railway display includes steam locomotives, vintage carriages, early era miner's trams and mine cars. In addition, a selection of restored industrial steam machinery engines are demonstrated in motion.
Fairfield City Museum and Gallery consists of a museum with a permanent local history exhibition, a historical village, a temporary exhibition gallery and a community access space. The historic village, complete with soundscapes, brings to life Western Sydney from 1900 to the 1930s, with reconstructed and heritage buildings, including a schoolhouse, a slab hut, a weatherboard cottage, a blacksmith's shop, a motor garage, The Biz newspaper printery and Wheatley's Store. The temporary exhibition gallery and community access space host exhibitions representing the diverse cultures of Fairfield...
This interactive museum and interpretive centre displays the best of the Broken Hill city mineral collection. The GeoCentre uses the wonders of Broken Hill geology to explain Earth Sciences, especially mineralogy, metallurgy and geological time.1000 - 2000 mineral specimens. Several hundred mining social history artefacts.
The front building of the Museum was originally used as a house dating from 1842. It is the only remaining house building in the CBD area of Port Macquarie from that era.
All artefacts on display show development from convict beginnings to early settlement from the 1840s. Displays at the museum include; a 'street of shops' depicting life as it was in the 1800s and a prize-winning costume collection. The museum has been in operation for over 40 years and is the winner of awards for best museum.More than 20,000 items collected over a period of 40 years. Artefacts from all aspects of Port...
5 hectare Japanese Garden including two lakes, tea house, bonsai house, pottery house, cottage, restaurant and cultural centre. Cultural Centre includes three galleries of exhibits of Nanga paintings, dolls, kimonos, masks, ceramics and many items relevant to Japanese arts and culture. Cultural events include Sakura Matsuri (Cherry Blossom Festival 2nd weekend in October every year).Three galleries of exhibits including Nanga paintings, dolls, kimonos, masks, ceramics and 5 hectare garden including tea house, bonsai house and pottery house.
Film and audio cassettes of historical relevance to the north and north-west of New South Wales, Australia. Most film was sourced from regional television stations. Archive has the abilities to select segments of film from database records and copy onto video tape for sale to the public.7 000+ reels of 8mm, 16mm film, video and audio cassettes
Artefacts and local history are our main theme. Our museum is a two story brick building situated in Murrumburrah, with exhibits on both floors. We cater for school groups.The collections focus is on local history; Bound copies of local newspapers, photographs, clothing display, chemist shop, blacksmith shop, railway exhibit, mining display, kitchen and household items, school, musical instruments. There is also a small library and a collection of maps.
About 1856 the museum building, originally a hotel, was built by James Mortal a rubble mason. Some of the original stonework can be seen as foundations for the verandah and the kitchen walls. The premises continued as a hotel until 1899 variously known as Golden Fleece Hotel, Tattersall's and the Royal Hotel. From 1899 to 1924 the premise was continuously used by a number of doctors as a surgery and residence. The Molong Historical Society Inc acquired the building in 1970 with the assistance of the Molong Shire Council and opened as the museum in November 1970.estimated 4 000, plus items and...
Woodford Academy, the oldest building on the Blue Mountains, is one of the most intact and substantial examples of an early colonial inn (C1833-1867), known at first as "The Woodman" and later as "The Kings Arms". From 1868 it served as Alfred Fairfax's country home and operated as a guest house in the 1880's to 1906. In 1907 John McManamey opened Woodford Academy as a boy's boarding school. The school closed in 1936, the last of the McManamey family remaining in residence until1988. It is now a National Trust Property. The building reflects 160 years of varied and...
The Sydney Tramway Museum is Australia's oldest tramway museum and the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and is located in the Southern Sydney suburb of Loftus. The Sydney tramway service was a world class undertaking operating 1535 tramcars at its peak. In 1944/45 it carried over 404.6 million passengers. An excellent video on the system, "Shooting Through", is Available from the museum. The Museum has an extensive range of Sydney Trams in its 60+ tram fleet. These include "C" cars 290 (Australia's oldest preserved electric car, built 1896) and 29, single truck saloon...
Housed in Osborne Hall, 1878, originally entertainment centre with Osborne Hotel. Great variety of items pertaining to life in Forbes from early days, household settings, clothing, gold mining collection, splendid and extensive photographic collection, Paul Wenz corner, Ben Hall (Bush Ranger) unique memorabilia, aboriginal display, outside area has examples of agricultural and shearing items, farming vehicle and many more treasures of the way of life in earlier Forbes and District.Approximately 20 000 plus items
The Society was formed in 1963 and since 1968 has opeated a museum in the former School of Arts building, which is heritage-listed. The purpose of the Museum is the collecting, preserving and interpreting of local heritage for everyone. The Society aims to promote local history, including family history and the Museum collection, to the local community and the general public.Dungog Museum has a wide range of items representing local and family history. The collection reflects the area's rural history, including dairying and the timber industry, and local manufacturing including items from...
Local history of agricultural and mining machinery (mostly horse powered). 14 harvesters, 3 binders, 2 winnowers, 2 hay loaders, 2 hay presses, hay mowers-rakes, sweeps, chaffcutters, 4 wagons, sulkies, carts, 1926 I.H.C Truck, 1932 Bedford Truck, Tractors, ploughs, cultivators, seedsowers, wool presses, shearing plant.300 items

Pages