Mines and Mining

The only surviving tent house in Mt Isa. The house was built in 1937 as one of many workers houses built by Mt Isa Mines to a standard pattern. This design was thought to derive from tent housing and incorporates a free standing roof and frame covering a separate structure with a canvas ceiling.1000 items
The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre recalls those familiar features of the Australian landscape - corrugated iron roofs, water tanks, silos, wool sheds and shady verandahs. The interior features a vaulted ceiling and displays designed to reflect the wide-open spaces, colour and character of the outback landscape they celebrate.

The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre has now proven itself to be the envisaged tourism destination. Longreach is a pivotal point on the Tropic of Capricorn, linking the Reef in the east with...
The Museum was formed to preserve the regions maritime and local history. The museum's aim is to provide an education centre for school children to learn about our local history, and also for visiting tourists.1 500 photographs, 900 books, plus estimated 2000 items (displayed)
The museum building was formerly a Scared Heart Convent of the Sisters of Mercy; two story timber 15mts x 25mts, internal walls are stained with tongue and groove crow's ash (1946). Yarraman Railway Station (1913) and Arthur Brown's butcher shop (c.1920). The grounds contain a scrub/rainforest area, farm machinery, plant shade house, water wise garden and unique water tank system from convent days. The total area is 1.2 hectares.The collection started in October 1997. Yarraman Heritage Centre has a wide range of community involvement, manly because of the necessity to attract large fundings...
The Building is of prime importance, a lone survivor in a commercial town. Visitors, national and international can discover the classic wild west adventure saga of our history. Know where they have been - not just what they have seen.Community records, huge photo collection, a new display 1.50m "Battle of the Coral Sea" depicting events and location of US and Australian forces in the area. A pictorial history of Douglas Shire" written by Curator (new) "Reflecting on the past".
We are a community based not-for-profit organisation who collect and preserve paper-based material that focuses on the history of Charters Towers and the surrounding Dalrymple Shire.Charters Towers and Dalrymple Archives focuses on all aspects of Charters Towers history. The collection contains 2,300 records, 1,500 photographs plus mining records including maps and plans.
The museum is housed in the Hog Bay School building, the third school to be built on the site (1922). The first room you enter is the Maritime Room, this displays the history and shipwrecks of Kangaroo Island. The School Porch houses the displays of schooling. The Schoolroom has displays on Early Settlers, including aboriginal women, agriculture, industry, communications and social and domestic life are portrayed.2,000 items, 700 photographs. The displays are organised in such a way that the visitor quickly gains a feel for the history of Kangaroo Island, especially maritime, education, early...
Housed in the former Moonta Mines School is a collection of historical artefacts relating to the Cornish heritage and settlement of the district. Particular emphasis is placed on copper mining. Numerous records, photographs and microfilm are also held. The Moonta National Trust also operates an historic miner's cottage nearby, and an interpretive tourist railway through the former mine site.20,000 items, 5,000 photographs
The Investigator Science and Technology Centre is South Australia's own interactive Science and Technology Centre. The spirit of The Investigator is learning about science and technology through exciting interactive exhibitions and amazing science shows. The Investigator also has a Soundhouse, where music is composed, recorded and performed using headphones, piano keyboards and computers. Additionally The Investigator runs a metro and regional travelling exhibit and science show program called Outreach. Exhibitions change regularly and in 2000 themes vary from Sports, and aliens' perspectives...
In a picturesque setting at the top of High Street in historic Willunga, the Courthouse complex stands on the original Government Reserve where, in 1839, police and surveyors arrived to help the first settlers take up the land. Displaced Aboriginals camped here and received rations. Today's visitors experience the authentic C19th Courtroom (complete with prisoner's box, jury box and witness box), adjoining cells and exercise yard, attached police residence and nearby stables. Past deeds and misdeeds are vividly brought to life - the heroism of the mounted constables, the controversial female...
An undercover collection of locomotives and railway vehicles, depicting the history of railways in SA and the Commonwealth Railways. The steam era, railcars and diesel's and all three rail gauges are represented. The museum also contains displays of railway operations and other historic memorabilia associated with railway history.100 railway vehicles, 12,000 photographs and approximately 50,000 documents along with a collection of smaller railway memorabilia, uniforms, clocks, signal lights and signs.
This privately owned tourist complex contains an extensive museum housed in 5 buildings with over 100 metres of glass show cases. Over 100 collection are featured, including displays of antiques, gemstones, butterflies, clocks, weapons, cameras, coins, birds eggs, badges, irons, bottles, fossils and shells. A feature of the complex is a display of local reptiles.120 varied collections
The Burra Mine was the largest metal mine in Australia, with typically Cornish surface and underground operations. The mine was worked for copper from 1845 to 1877. Between 1971 and 1981 the mine was reworked by open cutting. The Open Air Museum contains extensive remains of the mining operation. Also on the site is the Engine-house Museum, the only reconstructed Cornish Engine-house in the world. Admission to the Engine-house Museum is by separate fee. (See separate AMOL directory entry).50 different books and souvenirs for sale
The enginehouse has been fully restored (1986), apart from the original engine. A scale model (1:16) is fully operational and explained by guides. Videos (x3) provide further relevant information as do information boards on all three floors. Walks outside include; via a restored adit into the retimbered shaft, access to Morphett's Windinghouse, pool, mine offices and cottages, Grave's enginehouse and view of open-cut mine.Model and information boards mentioned above. Scale model of jinker. Mining artefacts, including cabinets inside of more sensitive material (e.g. 1820's pocket bible)....
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
The Museum has a pictorial display depicting the history of Aboriginal and European settlement of Coober Pedy, as well as all facets of old and new ways of opal mining. The interpretative centre amplifies Aboriginal Dreamtime and European influences. The theatrette communicates an audio visual account of the opal story. Admission includes a tour of an underground house and an original opal mine.
The museum is a National Trust property. It is located on the remains of the Bon Accord Mine site and incorporates the original mine office and workshop (c1859) The Bon Accord Mine commenced operations in 1846 and ceased in 1863. There were many years of inactivity during this period as no payable copper deposits were found. The display in the mine office includes boards with comprehensive information, photographs, mining relics, ore samples and the office pay table from the Monster (Burra Burra) Mine. There are two models featured in the museum - one of a Horsewhim, the other of "...
The complex is comprised of a stone courthouse, police station, police horse stables and original lock-up. Established in 1848, it played an important role in the development of the district. Exhibitions are also displayed in two modern buildings on site.The early police and judiciary are the main themes of our museum exhibition, supported by displays dealing with early settlement in the area. We also have extensive historic photographic and paper (documents etc) collections.
The museum is located in the repaired ruins of large ornate brick engine houses, built in 1905 for the Beaconsfield "Tasmania" gold mine. This 950sqm space is augmented by a 540sqm new building, outside space and a near-by park depicting the flowery gully school and a miner's cottage. A viewing platform overlooks the surface operational area of the Beaconsfield Mine Joint Venture. Average viewing time for the museum is 1 hour.2,000 items. Relics of Tasmania's largest gold mine 1878-1914, which produced 26 tonnes of gold. Adjacent to a large new mine about to produce gold from the...
The most infamous convict station in Van Diemen's Land was built on this small rainforest island and operated from 1822 to 1833 and then again in 1846 and 1847 as a probation station. Many of the ruins can still be seen and restoration and stabilisation work has been carried out there in recent years.15 interpretive signs, 6 major ruins

Pages