Mines and Mining

A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
The Museum was established in a former lighthouse keeper's cottage in 1980. All aspects of the Island's history are represented in the displays of the King Island Museum. Relics from the large number of shipwrecks around the coastline of the Island are also featured.estimated 2,000 objects and 1,500 photographs
Created by Mr. Eric Thomas. The main feature of the Gallery Museum is its Photographic collection dating from 1890's. It shows people and places on the west coast of Tasmania, with an extensive display on the mount Lyell diaster, which claimed 42 lives. Other displays include old lamps, silver china, coins, tools and hospital artefacts. Household items and clothing, right down to grandma's undies. There are 22 rooms to roam through with more to open in the future. Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee (small donation) while watching video's on the west coast.Over 900 photographs plus artefacts. A 1912...
(i) to preserve & maintain the "Victoria" Powder Magazine building situated on Carriage Drive, Queens Domain, Hobart within the guide-lines laid down for historic buildings on the register of National Estate.

(ii) to establish & maintain a museum relating to the military theme "the defences of the Derwent" from 1803 to 1945, at the "Victoria" Powder Magazine.

(iii) to raise monies pursuant to objectives (i) & (ii) by conducting military re-enactments in period uniform, and by acquiring, buying and selling Tasmanian Colonial...
The "Old Court House" was built in 1938 and was used as a Court of Petty Sessions until the 1970's and for Council meetings until 1993. The Bruny History Collection was established in 1988 and the History Room opened in 1997. The History Room provides a venue for the community and visiting public to peruse information on Bruny Island's history with subjects arranged in alphabetical order including Aboriginal History, Convicts, Family Trees, Industries, schools, Wars and many others.The collection contains items of yesteryear, local community archival records and photographs...

The Gold Museum performs a dual role as the home of the celebrated Simon collection of gold nuggets and coins, and as the Regional Museum for Ballarat. Permanent and temporary exhibitions exploring the history of the district are presented, encompassing both Ballarat social history and Koori cultural heritage.The Simon Gold Pavilion tells the story of gold throughout the ages, while the recently opened 'Ballarat: Inspired by Gold' exhibition traces the evolution of a grand Victorian city. The multi-media 'Land of the Watha Wurrung' delivers a dramatic interpretation of the region’s Koori...

The Golden Dragon Museum is the first museum in Victoria to become accredited through the museum accreditation program in 1997. The Golden Dragon Museum provides a living history of The Chinese people of Bendigo from the goldrush of the 1850's to the present day. Central to the permanent display is Sun Loong, the longest imperial dragon in the world. The Museum also features one of the finest collections of Chinese processional regalia in the world, and several hundred Chinese coins, some dating back to 221 BC.Approximately 2000 photographs, including objects, embroidery and costumes. A...
Chiltern and District Museum is an historic building built in 1866 which includes district records; shire, cemetery, town and district and library of books dating to 17th Century.6,000+ items. Art, decorative art, cultural heritage, genealogy, historic people, houses - local history, agricultural, clothing, uniforms, gold mining, literature, goldfields library, AW Eustace Art Collection including oil on gum leaf paintings.
A visit to the state mine in Wonthaggi is a journey back to the difficult working conditions of the mining days past. Preserved and managed by Parks Victoria for future generations, this original mine gives visitors opportunity to venture underground and gain an understanding of the life of a miner seventy years ago.

Access to the mine today is via a gently sloping inclined tunnel. On most occasions visitors walk into the mine, while those experiencing walking difficulties can ride underground on skips (carts). All groups return to the surface on the skips to save an walk uphill!...
The permanent display of various steam engines is supplemented by exciting rallies each May and November.Large collection of restored steam engines, traction engines, steam rollers, internal combustion engines, farm tractors, restored farm cottage displaying old wares etc, working 90 tonne steam shovel, working steam powered 'power' generating display.
The former Bairnsdale College (1891) contains a display on farming machinery, a bark roof log cabin, a country community hall/school and historic domestic items. Photographic and archival material relating to the history of East Gippsland is stored at the Resource Centre. Heritage garden surrounds the building.Approximately 20,000 items including machinery; 20,000 photographs, documents, maps, etc microfilm of East Gippsland newspapers.
Housed in the old Rushworth Mechanic's Institute, the Museum offers a glimpse of the ordinary lifestyle of the 1853 gold rush days up until more modern times. A gold cradle, early farm implements and exhibits on rural life are among the many interesting everyday items on display.
The Italian Historical Society [I.H.S] was established in 1980 to collect, preserve, interpret and foster an understanding of the history and heritage of Italian immigration to Australia. It is the only historical society with this specialization in Australia. The main components of the HIS Collection are the library, the photographic collection, oral histories, letters, documents and official records. Within these collections are the other key sub-categories including diplomatic archives, internment records and newspaper cuttings. The HIS is located symbolically, in the heart of Italian...

The Museum, consists of an historic post office (1890), a early and later period school buildings, pioneer's cottage and a bark hut. Lewis Lasseter (of fabled gold reef fame) - story of his activities in the district. His work boat is on display at the Museum. Displays deal with local history - from the discovery of gold, followed by timber getting, then dairying. As the area developed into a thriving community.Approximately 800 artefacts and 2000 photographs, and 100 documents

An extensive international collection of gems, minerals and fossils are displayed in a well presented simulated mine. A recorded commentary supplements this display which is all on ground level.Approximately over 1000 gems, minerals and fossils from all over the world.

This was one of several government magazines built for the safe storage of gunpowder towards the end of the 1850s when surface gold mining became exhausted and blasting was required. Miners lodged gunpowder in the magazine, paying a small rent for the service.20 objects.

The Society's Museum is house in the former railway station which has been listed by Heritage Victoria. The Photographic and artefact collection related mainly to the state coal mine which operated from 1909 to 1968. Other displays relate to Wonthaggi and the various institutions which shared its history. EG co-operative store, Wonthaggi miners dispensary, union theatre, schools, sporting clubs, Wonthaggi and district hospital miners union and miners woman's auxiliary.1000 photo's (Wonthaggi and district 1909 to present), 3000 artefacts (mining tools, household artefacts, etc), 200 audio...
Our Museum consists of a house and various out buildings located on two town blocks in Port Welshpool. The collection is spread over the whole area. Our strong point is the early fishing industry in Corner Inlet, including a daily diary kept by the Smith family from 1887-1958. Housed in Welshpool's first residence (1881), the Museum contains a local history collection that includes natural history objects, fishing and maritime artefacts. Original display cases house a magnificent shell collection that dates from the 1800s.Our collection is the contents of the house which is now the museum,...
The Telegraph Station (1856) was established for the goldfields but now houses a collection of memorabilia relating to early Castlemaine. Working nineteenth century telegraphic equipment is displayed.Approximately 300 items
A treasure trove of information on local and district families and social life. mining records and memorabilia of gold rush and deep lead mining. Art works provide a significant insight into the cultural heritage of the area. Newspapers, microfilm and photograph, provide an almost complete record of the first one hundred years of settlement.Approximately 4000 items and 2000 photographs. Housed in the former Town Hall, a building classified by the National Trust - comprising notable artists and art works of historical importance. Featuring local artists Lindsay, Litherland, Moyle, Tibbits and...

Pages