Mines and Mining

This museum provides an overview of mining in Australia. It includes displays on prospectors, mineral discovery and the government's role in mining. On the heritage site visitors can tour the 1893 underground mine, watch a gold pour demonstration or try their luck at panning for gold. The seven hectare site displays a diverse collection of mining memorabilia including site-historic headframes and numerous heritage buildings.Approximately 600 to 800 mining objects, plus a collection of minerals from the National Museum of Australia.
Chiverton House is a community museum; its collection reflects changing lifestyles influenced by mining (1848-1950). The building, histories and collections relating to Capt Samuel Mitchell and his family provide a link to the convicts and Lynton Hiring Station (1853-56), the railway (1879-1957), pastoral and farming development (1850 onwards) and the local effects of events such as depressions and wars.4,000 objects include house (as operating home) objects, farm machinery (some restored) 1,000 photos include local families, identities, property homes and events.
The Museum is a branch of the Western Australian Museum. It is housed in a modern building dominated by a massive mining headframe attached to an old hotel - all within botanical gardens - containing genuine and replica buildings showing aspects of goldfields life. The exhibitions change regularly and include travelling displays from across Australia. The emphasis is on the period of the gold rush (1893) and its effect on the region's social structure and ecology. Other aspects are included such as the presence of the pastoral and sandalwood industries. The gold vault with the priceless...
1906 Road Board Building
1930 Road Board Building
Mining Industry of Collie
A very large historical precinct of mining equipment and buildings (commissioned by Herbert Hoover, 1896) and restored houses, shop and boarding house in the town of Gwalia. The Museum has a excellent display of photographs, business and household equipment from 100 years of mining. This History blends with the modern open cut mining of the sons of Gwalia mine which the Museum overlooks. The state hotel and mine managers residence are impressive buildings against the simple timber and iron structures of Gwalia.1 000 photographs and 2 000 items record the history of mining and the people of...
Onslow Museum is housed in The Old Goods Shed which was transported over by Camel Train from the Old Town of Onslow in 1925. As it is an Historical Building it has been classified by the National Trust. Many larger items, such as the train and carriage used in transport of goods from the jetty, are on The wool ramps adjacent to the building.Artifacts relating to the pioneering days of the Onslow and surrounding Ashburton/ Pilbara district, plus a collection of photographs.
The museum is an eclectic array of mining and agricultural equipment, horse and camel-drawn vehicles and miscellany such as a water tank and old business signs. The collection is arranged in an open-air park which features large gum and Chinese pepper trees and has a picnic bench and table. Quirky statues of locally important identities such as Tommy Windich, Ernest Giles and Warden Finnerty line the picket fence facing Bayley Street, the main street of Coolgardie. The collection was amassed by local garage owner, the late Ben Prior, who found most of the objects whilst prospecting for gold...
The exhibition is an extensive display of objects and images relating to the history of Coolgardie, particularly the gold mining boom of the 1890s. The exhibit extends over two floors and more than a dozen rooms and features hand-made tools and furniture from the early gold mining days such as the Coolgardie Safe, tin water bottles and seats made from kerosene tins. Other significant materials on display are clothing and memorabilia from Afghan camel herders, indigenous artefacts, a large diorama of the town in its heyday, rocks, mining equipment such as the local dryblowers and much more....
The J S Battye of West Australian History is part of the State Library of Western Australia. The Battye Library, as it is more commonly known, has prime responsibility for collecting and preserving published and original materials of relevance to Western Australia. It holds the most comprehensive collection of Western Australian documentary heritage materials in the world.The collections of the Battye Library include Private Archives which holds original papers documenting the concerns and activities of Western Australia's private sector; the Pictorial collection containing approximately...
The building is the first permanent Courthouse in the Eastern Goldfields. It is part of the block of government buildings which is comprised of the Courthouse, Mining Registrar Offices and residences, Post Office and Residences. Construction commenced in 1892. The foundations are of local stone cemented together with mud. The walls are of locally made mud bricks.
We have a photographic collection of approximately 40,000 on all aspects of the Eastern Goldfields Region and a large library.Eastern Goldfields archival records, photos, negatives, donated memorabilia
Located in the grounds of the Old Timers Village the Museum is half way between Alice Springs CBD and the airport. Old Timers began in the early 1950's as part of Rev Dr John Flynn's dream of, "a mantle of safety" for people of the inland, a place where they could retire in comfort and receive medical attention. Today it consists of nursing home, hostel, independent living units, day therapy centre and Museum.

It was the dream of another man in the 1960's that saw the Museum created. Then manager of Old Timers, John Blakeman, concerned that the history of Central...
Mining in the Tennant Creek region, historical text and photos, statues of two prospectors, interactive displays, rock collections and original assay equipment and scales. Gold Stamp Battery original and still working ten stamp battery gold are crushing plant, operates daily for tours. Other mining machinery in underground mine. Tours are conducted daily at 11.00am. Ghost Tour at night. Historic buildings and machinery are scattered around the site.Three rooms, 200 items
Housed in a historic 110yr old building, this museum contains photographs of development in the Northern Territory, Chinese relics, minerals, war years, communications, mining and social history. The museum also holds the only photographic collection of the Pine Creek area.Items have been donated to the Pine Creek National Trust Museum by many people in the area. The museum displays many items relating to early settlement, an extensive bottle and mineral collection, war relics, Chinese household goods, photographs and text.
Tuxworth-Fullwood House is the headquarters of the Tennant Creek National Trust. This property, constructed in 1942 by the Australian Military Forces as 55 Army Camp Hospital, is also a former outpatients clinic for the Tennant Creek district. Displays, including a diorama of a miners camp, focus on settlement, mining and development of the region. Outdoor displays include a police cell, C1930s, and a mine site. An extensive archive houses the Tuxworth and Fullwood collections relating to local history.
The precinct is of great historical and architectural significance. Built in 1888/89 it was a temporary terminus to an incomplete Transcontinental Railway. It is of cultural significance as the social and economic focal point of the town of Pine Creek for over eighty years. The precinct includes a restored steam locomotive and rolling stock and is indicative of the design and technology of the 1880s.An area of historical and architectural significance which was the social and economic focal point of the town for over 80 years. Railway memorabilia inside the station is on loan from museums and...
Battery Hill Mining centre is a heritage site with guided tours of a ten head stamp battery and underground mine. The collection consists of 200 items of machinery pertaining to the Mining Industry. Free access is available to the mining machinery.The collection includes approx 200 items of machinery placed outside along pathways and across acres of land; items include a winderbox, headframe, furnaces and portal rock drills. Original assay equipment and scales with photographic and text displays are held in a small museum, which was the assay building, designed by Museum and Art gallery of...

Pages