Postal Services

Louis Michel was the first person to discover gold in Australia. He did so in Anderson Creek, Warrandyte. Many famous artists have lived and worked here, many noted potters and craftsmen have lived and died here. The area has survived severe droughts, floods and raging fires. There has always been and always will be a good sense of community spirit in Warrandyte.Over 1000 photographs and a significant collection of archival materials, plus a modest collection of artefacts relating to gold mining and associated industries. Also artefacts from the indigenous culture and our artistic past.
To preserve in our Museum memorabilia of Pentridge and Coburg. To encourage in our local schools an interest in Coburg History.2000 items, 3 000 photographs. his bluestone building (on the register of Victorian Historic Buildings) houses a range of local history material, including extensive records of early land transactions in Coburg and Pentridge, photographs of the district and of Pentridge Prison. Artefacts relating to early Coburg are displayed and include two sets of Coburg Mayoral Robes and Town Clerk's Robes. Front room dedicated to "Australia Remembers" displays of both...
A collector's paradise, the Museum presents over 200 collections in thirty rooms. Set amidst five acres of International Gardens (the Savill Gardens), its special attractions include the fourteenth portable gaol built in Victoria and the state's smallest church.Estimate over 1 million items
Housed in the old woodend Court House, the Resource Centre caters for local and family history inquiries. The collection is accessed by computers and a master file by over 100,000 cards. Microfilm, microfiche records, audio tapes and transcripts, school and cemetery records, photographs, rate books etc, make up the collectionEstimated 100,000 references and catalogued items
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
Australia's first outdoor museum, Pioneer Settlement Museum portrays life in the Murray-Mallee in the era 1830-1930, including pre-contact between aborigines and settlers. There is an excellent schools education program, riverboat cruises on the Murray River, Australia's first sound and light show, regular street theatre and staffed shops. The museum covers 7 acres, with areas showing town and rural life of the settlement period, and aboriginal display areas. Included in the entry price are rides in horsedrawn vehicles and vintage cars. A working blacksmith fashions artifacts, the printer...
The building was originally built as a coach house/blacksmith shop, in 1880, from local field limestone. It served a variety of commercial purposes until its conversion to a museum in 1993. Its whitewashed interior and polished timber floors is a perfect setting to display historical items. Dartmoor has an interesting history, a meeting place in Koori times, a Fording place during European pastoral expansion and epicentre of the Radiata Pine industry from 1927. See the trials and triumphs of a rural community.District memorabilia; photographs, artefacts, ephemera, implements and historical...
The original four roomed building, c.1888, from which the irrigation scheme for the Western Goulburn Valley was developed, was purchased and restored in 1988. This building now houses local history and information on the history of irrigation. Two brick extensions, totalling 200 sq. metres have since been added to house the Wartime Camps collection, included is a foyer, shop and lecture room come art gallery complete with video viewing facilities.Photographs, art and craft work, records, recollections and other archival material recovered from the former prisoners and internees from the seven...
Several old buildings in main street (Allan Street). Kyabram Reform movement which swept the country 1901-1903 to lower the number of policies in parliament and wages. Plaques, schools, hall, hotels ect.Photographs, farming machinery, cottage of mud brick and timber slab. Children's clothing, linen, kitchenware, musical items, old tins, old irons, tools, egg scales, teacadie, local community records.
Exhibits include every Australian Commonwealth stamp, a philatelic history of the nation, an Australian design history, "Think Design", a hands on exhibition about stamp design for children of all ages, and a gallery which features 4 new exhibitions a year investigating Australian culture.

The gallery's exhibitions are designed for philatelists, stamp collectors, children and people interested in Australian culture, history and design.The National Philatelic Collection is a unique repository of artwork and pre-print items relating to design and the development of...
The Museum collection is housed in the old Esperance Railway Station building. It was officially opened in October 1976 and is staffed entirely by volunteers. Items from the wreckage of Skylab which crashed to earth near Esperance in 1979, a WAGR steam locomotive, exhibits from Sir Douglas Mawson's Antarctic expedition, a large agricultural machinery display, items from shipwrecks and items from early settlements make up a fascinating collection of exhibits. Restoration, accession, database, archival and display programmes are carried out.Estimated 4,000 items. Physical and documentary...
The Monsignor Hawes Priest House Museum is run by a small group of parish volunteers. The museum is situated at the side of the local Catholic church which was also built by the priest Architect Monsignor JC Hawes during his tenue as Priest to the local community of Mullewa a small wheat belt town situated 500kms north-east of Perth. This Museum and church plays a central part of the Monsignor Hawes Heritage trail.The Mons. Hawes Priest House collection contains items of furniture, library books and vestments used by Mons. Hawes, the collector also contains architectural designs, note books,...
Situated in the main street of Wyalkatchem, the main museum building is a 1936 Wheat Bin. Bulk handling of wheat originated in the Shire of Wyalkatchem and the wheat bin is the oldest in preservation and is a museum piece on its own. Most items have been restored and are still operational. Some interesting "as is" items are also on display. A second shed, partly built from materials recycled from a demolished Wheat bin holds a 40 restored tractor collection. The yard also has a variety of equipment. The domestic collection, "The School House Museum" is in the process of re...
1906 Road Board Building
1930 Road Board Building
Mining Industry of Collie
Onslow Museum is housed in The Old Goods Shed which was transported over by Camel Train from the Old Town of Onslow in 1925. As it is an Historical Building it has been classified by the National Trust. Many larger items, such as the train and carriage used in transport of goods from the jetty, are on The wool ramps adjacent to the building.Artifacts relating to the pioneering days of the Onslow and surrounding Ashburton/ Pilbara district, plus a collection of photographs.
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum...
In 1879 Alfred Giles, who was overlanding for Springvale near Katherine, carried out the first sinking endeavours at Bonney Well. The Telegraph Department completed the work in 1884. Further alterations occurred in 1892, with the well being abandoned in 1936. Bonney Well is one of the last remaining original water improvements on the Overland Telegraph Line and stock route.

Pages