Prisons or Convicts

To preserve in our Museum memorabilia of Pentridge and Coburg. To encourage in our local schools an interest in Coburg History.2000 items, 3 000 photographs. his bluestone building (on the register of Victorian Historic Buildings) houses a range of local history material, including extensive records of early land transactions in Coburg and Pentridge, photographs of the district and of Pentridge Prison. Artefacts relating to early Coburg are displayed and include two sets of Coburg Mayoral Robes and Town Clerk's Robes. Front room dedicated to "Australia Remembers" displays of both...
A collector's paradise, the Museum presents over 200 collections in thirty rooms. Set amidst five acres of International Gardens (the Savill Gardens), its special attractions include the fourteenth portable gaol built in Victoria and the state's smallest church.Estimate over 1 million items
Built in 1858 of local honey coloured granite, the Beechworth Courthouse was converted to a museum in 1991. The original furniture and fittings are complemented by information on the history of the courthouse and displays on the police, judiciary and bushrangers.Approximately 200 items
The Museum is housed in a Trust National Building, which is currently undergoing restoration. There are many maritime objects, including models of ships and a scale model of "Gerberus". We also have early clothing, domestic articles, an historic signature quilt from World War I, which has been to Sydney on loan. We also have a sound effects machine, thousands of photographs, silverware, WWI memorabilia, family research and a bi-monthly newsletter.World War I memorabilia including a signature quilt made by the women of Williamstown including Jacka's signature. We have archival...
This Museum is housed in Echuca's former Police Station and its cells. It specialises in the history of Echuca, its place in the river trade and its past citizens through its collection of documents, river charts, photographs and artefacts. Genealogical data is on microfiche and copies of local newspapers. Echuca Borough Council Rate and Valuation books and church records are on microfilm.3500 items
Friends of J Ward Inc is a volunteer group dedicated to preserving the structure and history of J Ward Ararat. J Ward was for over 100 years the place of incarceration of Victoria's Criminally Insane. Built as a prison during the gold rush of 1857-61; was soon redundant and taken over by the lunacy dept. Now considered draconian to house even the Criminally Insane, J Ward is a museum to a bygone era.The Museum at J Ward includes some of the horrifying p of yesteryear and some used not so long ago. The single most important item preserved is J Ward itself. See life as it was in the institution...
Main collections include: Goldmining and life on the goldfields, R.E. Johns Aboriginal Collection, Beechworth Chinese Community Collection, Local Families, Identities Collection, Natural History and Development, Archives, Ned Kelly.In 1863 the Burke Museum was added to the Beechworth Public Library and Athenaeum (est 1856) in honour of Robert O'Hara Burke, the explorer of Burke and Wills fame. Today the Burke Museum presents cultural and natural heritage material, which contributes to the understanding and appreciation of the customs, activities, historic episodes, the natural environment and...
The museum is operated by the Wangaratta Historical Society Inc. and is housed in the former Wangaratta Fire Station. The lower floor is divided into two display rooms and a research room, upstairs a storage area. Approximately 160 square metres of floor space. In addition there are a number of items on display in the cellar of the Vine Hotel at north Wangaratta.Smaller items of historical significance; household, commercial, industrial, agricultural military etc, from the Wangaratta District (we do not have space for large items such as farm vehicles). 10,000 photographs from the local area...
The original four roomed building, c.1888, from which the irrigation scheme for the Western Goulburn Valley was developed, was purchased and restored in 1988. This building now houses local history and information on the history of irrigation. Two brick extensions, totalling 200 sq. metres have since been added to house the Wartime Camps collection, included is a foyer, shop and lecture room come art gallery complete with video viewing facilities.Photographs, art and craft work, records, recollections and other archival material recovered from the former prisoners and internees from the seven...
The Old Melbourne Gaol is a vivid and stark reminder of the 19th Century prison life. Only one cell block remains of the original complex, built approximately 150 years ago. The gaol opened in 1845 and closed in 1929, and was the site of 135 executions, including the infamous Ned Kelly. Since closing in 1929 the Gaol has been used as a police storage facility and military detention centre during WWII.Three particular features of our collection are an original suit of Kelly Gang armour, Ned Kelly's death mask and Ned Kelly's pistol. The gaol also house a large number of artefacts. Of...
Archival facility and Photgraphic collection, old Gaol building. Bridgetown population 4,000. 270km south of Perth.
Bridgetown is one of eight heritage listed towns in Western Australia. Historic work panphlet is available.900 old phtographs of Bridgetown area. Written achival information and locally produced fistoric books. Access to oral histories.
This eleven room wattle and daub cottage built circa 1832 consists of an entry, box room, parlour, nursery, bedroom, dining room, family room, sewing room, kitchen, laundry and side verandah. Appropriate artefacts covering several eras are in the various rooms, with display cases in every room. Set in a neat garden surroundsAccessioned photographs number 8,000. Accessioned artworks number 500. There are some 7,000 artifacts of all types.
A 30 room complex of men's cell blocks and some warder's quarters built in 1852 for imperial convicts shipped to WA as artisans and skilled labourers. Women's cells, the great hall and more warder's quarters were constructed of brick in 1872-75. At this time the complex was also used as a colonial prison. It was last used as a police lockup in the great depression of the 1930s. Extensive restoration from 1989 to 1996 returned its condition to as original as possible. Cells, warder's quarters, and the great hall contain appropriate displays.Accessioned photographs number 8,000....
Two storey building of stone, constructed in 1870 by the Peninsular and Oriental Steamship Navigation Company as a Cooperative Society Store for their goods, employees and families. From circa 1885 the building had a variety of uses - as a printery, soft drink factory, lodging house, apartments, and railway employees barracks (1973-1991). Extra rooms and a verandah were added circa 1935. It is currently leased to Albany Historical Society and used as a storage museum for the artefacts, visual art and photography not on display. Accessioning, conservation of artefacts, administration and...
Chiverton House is a community museum; its collection reflects changing lifestyles influenced by mining (1848-1950). The building, histories and collections relating to Capt Samuel Mitchell and his family provide a link to the convicts and Lynton Hiring Station (1853-56), the railway (1879-1957), pastoral and farming development (1850 onwards) and the local effects of events such as depressions and wars.4,000 objects include house (as operating home) objects, farm machinery (some restored) 1,000 photos include local families, identities, property homes and events.
Fremantle Prison is one of Western Australia's premier cultural heritage sites situated on 6 hectares. It was built by convict labour in the 1850s and decommissioned as an operating gaol in 1991. It was the last convict prison built in Australia and remains the most intact. It features the longest and tallest cell range constructed by the British Royal Engineers in this country.
Fremantle Prison has special architectural significance in addition to its monumental limestone buildings. Within the walls are the wells and reservoir that provided water for Fremantle. The early jarrah...
In 1863 the first school between Perth and Freemantle was built on Freshwater Bay. This building now forms the core of the museum site, which opened in 1975. Exhibits are changed periodically and address issues related to the loacl history of Claremont. The museum collects and preserves material culture associated with the district of Claremont, including oral histories and photographs. The Public Access System (PAS) provides researchers with information on Claremont's history. Our education program for schools is designed to fit the curriculum.Local community. Artefacts, photographs, oral...
Housed in an old building that has been extended. We have a small Museum which embraces a costume collection of c 2,000 pieces, an art collection of c 200 pieces, a huge photograph collection and a library. All of these are focused on Western Australian history and are run and maintained by volunteers of various trained expertise.Historic costumes and all related account remain including sewing machines, irons act. Photographs. Paintings and drawings.
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen...
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum...

Pages