Railways or Tramways

The Museum's collections focus on: the 1894 settler's cottage; the 1910 Congregational church and manse; the AMP Society Land Development; the Gold Escort Route of 1852; and the Wild Dog Fence which saved the fledgling colony of South Australia from failing.Approximately 1,000 items including a feral dog preserved by taxidermist, as well as photographs.
An undercover collection of locomotives and railway vehicles, depicting the history of railways in SA and the Commonwealth Railways. The steam era, railcars and diesel's and all three rail gauges are represented. The museum also contains displays of railway operations and other historic memorabilia associated with railway history.100 railway vehicles, 12,000 photographs and approximately 50,000 documents along with a collection of smaller railway memorabilia, uniforms, clocks, signal lights and signs.
The home was built for William Moyle, a Cornwall engineer who operated the adjacent cordial factory and public baths. It is made of local stone with ironwork and illustrates turn of the century well-to-do living. The house is heritage listed and displays a wide range of collections, including period costumes, stained glass, furniture, household appliances, and a doll display. A brochure is available which provides fuller details.Thousands of artefacts including 1,000 pair of salt and pepper shakers, 2,500 dolls, 600 teddy bears
The Museum is in the former Railway Station, built in 1885, and adjacent goods shed; it was opened in 1971 the centenary year of Jamestown and district. Items in the Museum Collection have been donated by the local people & they all recall a past way of life. The display highlights people and events unique to Jamestown local people expect the museum to be the custodians of archival items donated by them, so the collection has changed as we have noticed an increasing interest in local and family history.The Museum has a diverse collection of household items and other things connected to...
Former customs and station master's house built in 1866/67 of Georgian style architecture. Four furnished rooms containing historical documents, photographs, pictures, portraits, displays, furniture and furnishings relevant to the early history of the area and its association with an overseas port and latterly with the railways. Shop with National Trust items, books, crafts, jams, souvenirs. The new Encounter Coast Discovery Centre houses a living display of the history of the Encounter Coast area from 1800 to 1900, with fascinating artefacts and audio narrative.
This historical building holds a collection of local history items and memorabilia relating to whaling, fishing, agriculture and social history. A blacksmith shop is part of the complex, with the upstairs furnished in 1890s style.
The Museum interprets the story of Goolwa, Currency Creek and Hindmarsh Island from Aboriginal times through European settlement to the present day. The museum contains a large collection of objects relating to the settlement of the Goolwa district from 1840 and includes Aboriginal artefacts, shipping artefacts relating to the Murray-Darling river system and its ocean outlets, and objects illustrating pioneering agricultural and village life from 1840 to the present.Objects related to shipbuilding and community life. Community archival records and shipping records are a major part of the...
The museum's focus is on railway siganlling & safe working, telegraphic communications, aviation communications & navigation, and aviation pioneers, particularly of South Australia. Our state's Air Force heritage is honoured with special displays of model aircraft, uniforms, photographs and memorabilia. Emphasis is placed on working displays throughout the museum. There are extensive library resources.One building with courtyard displays. Railway signal equipment, aviation electronics equipment, aviation pioneers display, photographs, memorabilia. Home of the Civil Aviation Historical...
Oldest 2 story commercial premises, Built 1875. Underground Bakehouse. Old grocery Shop, Victoriana displays, music room, kitchen, bedroom. Dressmaking establishment, photo gallery, laundry/bathroom. Ironmongery room. Currently establishing large display of items from horse drawn era, in custom built shed, everything is represented of local history, books, histories, photo's and artefacts, outside display of farming equipment, tractors, wagons ect.Local archives and photos, farming machinery from the past, furniture, china, glass, musical instruments, household items each area has a...
A narrow gauge bush railway with 7km of track extending from the main road to a disused jetty near Southport passing scenic and historic sites. At certain times of the year a steam locomotive is used.
Pearn's Steam Museum is a volunteer group dedicated to the restoration and preservation of early agricultural heritage.The collection includes Foden, Birdsall, Fowler, Buffalo Pitts, Avelinga, Porter and Eclipse steam traction engines. Railway memorabilia, stationary engines, associated farm and household tools, implements, tractors, fairground organ, miniature train travel on a 500m loop of the complex.
A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
Alpenrail is a display of about 200 square metres, featuring the the scenery of the Bernese Alps. Alpine villages, rivers, lakes among the forests, the railways and culture, are all presented with a background of lively Swiss music. Most of the locomotives, bridges and buildings are hand made by the owners. The Village is suitable for all ages. It is under cover and hands-on displays are available.Small number of old toy trains.
The Society is devoted to re-opening the scenic and historic Derwent Valley railway for steam and diesel. It provides diesel-electric hauled day excursions to National Park as well as occasional trips to other destinations on the Tasmanian railway network. The Society has three 1951 vintage steam locomotive, 3 1950/1961 vintage diesel electric locomotives, 3 articulated passenger carriages circa 1950, 2 standard carriages of 1940s vintage, and assorted freight wagons.3 locomotives, 5 carriages, assorted freight wagons
A railway museum with working and static exhibits. Has several kilometres of track along the Don River and operates daily passenger trains powered by steam locomotives from the Museum to the Don Heads. It has a large and varied collection of steam locomotives and passenger carriages dating from 1869 to 1951.
The Museum contains may culinary domestic items as well as some antique machinery and office equipment. Medals, coins, clothing, bottles and approximately 1,000 historic photos are displayed at two monthly intervals, as the area only allows for a small percentage to be displayed at one time.250 items; 1,000 photos
A railway museum with working and static exhibits including Tasmania's oldest surviving steam locomotive. Trains run on the hour 10am to 4pm on a scenic line along the Don River to Coles Beach, Devonport. A large and varied collection of steam and diesel locomotives and passenger and revenue stock dating from 1869 to 1954. Stations, Signal box, communication equipment and railway memorabilia.11 x Steam Locomotives ; 7 x Diesel Locomotives and rail cars ; 26 x Passenger/Guards carriages, (50 +) x wagons and flat tray wagons, Railway cranes, extensive collection of tools, engineering equipment...
The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery is Launceston's cultural heartbeat and gateway to Tasmania's history and character. It tells the story of our lives and the time and place in which we live. It draws a map of who we are and where we've been. See separate Guide listings for the Community History Branch, the Inveresk museum site and the Launceston Planetarium.The Museum and Art Gallery holds collections of Australian colonial art, contemporary craft and design, Tasmanian history and natural sciences. Special features include a Chinese Temple, Planetarium and the interpretation of one of...
The "Old Court House" was built in 1938 and was used as a Court of Petty Sessions until the 1970's and for Council meetings until 1993. The Bruny History Collection was established in 1988 and the History Room opened in 1997. The History Room provides a venue for the community and visiting public to peruse information on Bruny Island's history with subjects arranged in alphabetical order including Aboriginal History, Convicts, Family Trees, Industries, schools, Wars and many others.The collection contains items of yesteryear, local community archival records and photographs...
The Museum aims to preserve representative items of transport interest and has developed into an important community asset in the Glenorchy Municipality. The museum caters for the cultural and educational needs of those who live in the area as well as those who find pleasure in Tasmanian transport heritage: those enthusiasts for whom past forms of transport and associated memorabilia have a particular fascination. The museum operates train rides on the first and third Sunday of each month.The collection includes steam locomotives; rail cars and rolling stock; reconstructed railway station...

Pages