Religion

The Town is on a 20 acre site which houses ninety buildings laid out in an old town setting. It includes eleven streets, a railway line with fourteen carriages and a station. The shops, houses and public building are furnished from 1880 to 1950. Visitors feel they have stepped into the past from the present day.
A local and social history museum depicting the heritage of Wallaroo. Main themes: copper mining and smelting period (1861-1923) History of the port of Wallaroo since 1861. General local history - sport, entertainment, industry, civic affairs and religion. Located in the first post office building 1865-1910. Has been Museum building since 1975.Over 3,000 exhibits depict the Industrial, Mining, Smelting, Maritime and Social History of the port of Wallaroo. The Museum is also home to the former Tipara Reef Lighthouse (1877-1996) Re-located to the Museum in 2001.
The Hahndorf Academy houses both a German migration museum and an art gallery. The gallery content os wholly South Australian with frequent exhibitions. The academy also has artist's studios with painters, jeweller, leadlight, paper and leather crafts people.The museum contains descriptions and artefacts from the migration of the first Germans in South Australia in 1839. Shipping logs, musical instruments, school items, farming equipment, dresses etc. Also a collection of orginal charcoal drawings from the fammous artist, Sir Hans Heysen, who lived in Hahndorf.
The Museum's collections focus on: the 1894 settler's cottage; the 1910 Congregational church and manse; the AMP Society Land Development; the Gold Escort Route of 1852; and the Wild Dog Fence which saved the fledgling colony of South Australia from failing.Approximately 1,000 items including a feral dog preserved by taxidermist, as well as photographs.
Luhr's cottage is the original dwelling of the Lutheran School's first school teacher and his wife and family of 6 children (one stillborn). It has been furnished to match the era. It is constructed of pug and timber (Redgum) and fronted by a cottage garden. At the rear is a room dedicated to schoolroom items including large pupils desk, copy books, readers and German wall charts. In the shed are agricultural machines and a German wagon.Housed in Luhr's Cottage is a collection of homewares and bric a brac relating to the German heritage of Light Pass and the Barossa Valley. The "...
The home was built for William Moyle, a Cornwall engineer who operated the adjacent cordial factory and public baths. It is made of local stone with ironwork and illustrates turn of the century well-to-do living. The house is heritage listed and displays a wide range of collections, including period costumes, stained glass, furniture, household appliances, and a doll display. A brochure is available which provides fuller details.Thousands of artefacts including 1,000 pair of salt and pepper shakers, 2,500 dolls, 600 teddy bears
The Streaky Bay Museum is housed in the old school. It includes the family history of the Campbell family (1864), the Kelsh family (1860) Kelsh pioneer pug and pine cottage, the Freeman family (1856) and Mudge family 1855, as well as machinery dating back to the 1880s.A large collection of great variey. Furniture, household items, farm machinery, historic buildings, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and medical artefacts and instruments.. The collection is a source of local history of people and their way of life through the years.
The enginehouse has been fully restored (1986), apart from the original engine. A scale model (1:16) is fully operational and explained by guides. Videos (x3) provide further relevant information as do information boards on all three floors. Walks outside include; via a restored adit into the retimbered shaft, access to Morphett's Windinghouse, pool, mine offices and cottages, Grave's enginehouse and view of open-cut mine.Model and information boards mentioned above. Scale model of jinker. Mining artefacts, including cabinets inside of more sensitive material (e.g. 1820's pocket bible)....
The contents of the Museum reflect the life of Kapunda through home, work, sport and farming. The Museum covers some 11,000 square feet depicting all aspects of lifestyles and working life in Kapunda. There are important collections relating to copper mining, manufacture of farm implements, the Hawke Foundry and social life. The Kapunda Museum is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, Bagot's Fortune.20,000 items
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
The Gumeracha and District History Centre is situated in the Library Complex, Albert Street Gumeracha. Comprising of the whole of the Torrens Valley Ward of the Adelaide Hills Council (formerly Gumeracha Council). Including the townships of Houghton, Inglewood, Hermitage, Cudlee Creek, Chain of Ponds, Millbrook, Kersbrook, Gumeracha, Kenton Valley, Forreston, Birdwood and Mt. Torrens.
The museum is located in a heritage building in the heart of the Adelaide central business district. All items in the collection relate to freemasonry in South Australia and the Northern Territory, covering the period from 1834 to the present day. Some items originate from interstate or overseas. A guided tour operates every Thursday at 2:00 pm.The collection contains thousands of items of memorabilia, including regalia, jewels, furniture, glassware, minute books, paintings, warrants, and documents.
The collection has written and historical materials of significance to the Clare regionThe collection is comprised of written, photographic and microform material
The Museum is in the main Cathedral building which houses many items of interest. It is self contained within the Cloisters of the Cathedral. In static and changing displays, the Museum exhibits material relating to the Anglican Church in Tasmania from 1804 to the present.
A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
Port Arthur Historic Site is the pre-eminent symbol and most outstanding example of Australia's convict system.

Port Arthur exerted great cultural influence within Tasmania and throughout Australia as the focal point of a large-scale penal and industrial enterprise which encompassed the entire Tasman Peninsula and Southern Tasmania.

In its peak Port Arthur was the second largest penal system settlement in Australia and was often referred to as 'hell on earth'.

Today, PAHS encompasses over 40 hectares and features more than 30 restored buildings, ruins and...
The Archives Office of Tasmania, established through the provisions of the Archives Act 1983 (and previous archival legislation) is the repository for all Tasmanian government records which are no longer of immediate administrative use but which are considered worthy of permanent or long-term preservation. It is currently administratively linked to the Department of Education.The Archives Office holds many thousands of linear metres of records, the vast majority of which are those of State and local government agencies.

The statutory definition of 'records' is extremely wide,...
The Cygnet Living History Museum is a central display area and archive for the information, photographs and artefacts pertaining to the history of the Cygnet region and the wider Hvon. Information is being constantly researched and added to the Museum's collection. Visual displays which change quarterly, are used by the museum to highlight topics of the area's unique local history. Past displays have included settlement and establishment of the region, family histories, historic buildings, wooden boat building, timber and other industries, festivals, probation stations and the convict era....
The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery is Launceston's cultural heartbeat and gateway to Tasmania's history and character. It tells the story of our lives and the time and place in which we live. It draws a map of who we are and where we've been. See separate Guide listings for the Community History Branch, the Inveresk museum site and the Launceston Planetarium.The Museum and Art Gallery holds collections of Australian colonial art, contemporary craft and design, Tasmanian history and natural sciences. Special features include a Chinese Temple, Planetarium and the interpretation of one of...

Pages