Religion

The "Old Court House" was built in 1938 and was used as a Court of Petty Sessions until the 1970's and for Council meetings until 1993. The Bruny History Collection was established in 1988 and the History Room opened in 1997. The History Room provides a venue for the community and visiting public to peruse information on Bruny Island's history with subjects arranged in alphabetical order including Aboriginal History, Convicts, Family Trees, Industries, schools, Wars and many others.The collection contains items of yesteryear, local community archival records and photographs...
Newspapers, files on local organisations (eg churches, schools), photographs, local cemetery records, obituaries and some local family histories are included in this collection. The Society organises displays for special organisations and its local history artefacts are a useful resource for school groups.
The Italian Historical Society [I.H.S] was established in 1980 to collect, preserve, interpret and foster an understanding of the history and heritage of Italian immigration to Australia. It is the only historical society with this specialization in Australia. The main components of the HIS Collection are the library, the photographic collection, oral histories, letters, documents and official records. Within these collections are the other key sub-categories including diplomatic archives, internment records and newspaper cuttings. The HIS is located symbolically, in the heart of Italian...
Some rooms in the homestead and the outbuildings contain period furnishings, fittings or equipment. There are also displays of photographs and artefacts (including agricultural equipment) relating to the history of Knox. The research centre next door to the museum collects documents, photographs, newspapers, books, genealogical records and audio-visual material for local history and family history.1,500 artefacts, 8,000 general photographs, 18,000 local school photographs, documents, books and microfiche. The museum also holds the Ferntree Gully Pioneer Index on a genealogical computer...
The Local History Resource Centre was established in 1984 as part of the Victoria 150th Celebrations. The collection is housed in the former Ouyen Courthouse building which it shares with the Mallee Genealogical Society. The centre houses material collected from the southern part of the Rural City Council area. The photographic collection is a special feature, comprising approximately 2,500 black and white photographs. The aim of the centre is to make local history information accessible to everyone.Photographs, microfilm of the early Ouyen newspapers from 1911, including some early copies...
Heritage Hill is a unique historic precinct located in the heart of Dandenong featuring three century old buildings and 2 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens. St James Anglican Church (1864); Laurel Lodge (1869); and Benga Oral History Centre and Garden (1936). survive as fine examples of 19th and 20th century architecture and represent the social, cultural and natural history of Dandenong. Through exhibitions and period rooms, visitors can gain an insight into Dandenong's transformation from a rural market town into a bustling, multicultural metropolis.Laurel Lodge and Benga House a...
A comprehensive and fascinating collection of early photographs, maps, collectables, historic documents, (including Camperdown Chronicles), artefacts and memorabilia.
Steiglitz Court House is partially restored with internal furnishings. It features displays on the early gold mining history and pastoral history of the region, including interpretive and historic photos. Information is also provided on Steiglitz Historic Park and the Brisbane Ranges National Park.Approximately 100 items

The former Drysdale Court House (1880) presently houses a local history collection, index of family histories of the peninsula, pioneer index, index of arrivals by ship at Port Henry, court house furnishings, shire honour boards and plaques, cemetery records, early school rolls and agricultural equipment.

Built in 1905 as a general merchant's store and attached residence, the Museum now houses the L.L. Pitts photographs and items from local organisations, general interest and farming objects.. Unique photographs taken by Lilian Louisa Pitts between 1900 and 1928 record the lives and times of Merrigum. The house has each room displayed in setting for that room e.g. bedroom, kitchen. Each year in May, Heritage Day is held with many operating displays.Estimated 3000 items. The museum was built in 1905 as a general store and residence. The collection consists of local history artefacts, domestic...
This family and local history Resource Centre has an extensive indexed collection relating to local people, places, events and topics along with family history files, birth and marriage certificates and photographs.Over 80,000 index cards listing information on local identities, businesses, towns etc. Approx. 1000 photographs of local people and places. Local church records, school registers, cemeteries, inquests.
The Clunes Museum is an historic building (1860) in the main street of Clunes which houses a collection of memorabilia from Victoria's first gold town. Displays include agricultural, gold, coins and cultural themes. Reception has a shop where local crafts, souvenirs and local history books are on sale. A research section offers a wide range of records dating back to the early 1860's. The Clunes Museum is run by volunteers. The Clunes Museum is accredited by MAP.The major strengths of the collection of 2,500 objects are photographs and items pertaining to gold mining, agriculture, industry,...
Melbourne Museum aims to inform and inspire visitors.

Melbourne Museum stands adjacent to the historic Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens. Together, they constitute the largest museum complex in the Southern Hemisphere.

Melbourne Museum uses the latest technology and interpretation methods to present educational exhibitions and programs on science and technology, indigenous cultures, the environment, the human mind and body and Australian society.

National icons on display include Phar Lap, Australia's greatest ever racehorse, and CSIRAC (...
To preserve in our Museum memorabilia of Pentridge and Coburg. To encourage in our local schools an interest in Coburg History.2000 items, 3 000 photographs. his bluestone building (on the register of Victorian Historic Buildings) houses a range of local history material, including extensive records of early land transactions in Coburg and Pentridge, photographs of the district and of Pentridge Prison. Artefacts relating to early Coburg are displayed and include two sets of Coburg Mayoral Robes and Town Clerk's Robes. Front room dedicated to "Australia Remembers" displays of both...
This former Courthouse built in 1914 holds a collection of small domestic and agricultural artefacts on display and features a War Memorial Room. Documents include family, school, church, district, shire, sports and railway histories as well as ndividual files. Family research for inquiries is undertaken, using local resources and index of papers. Minute books of local organisations are stored safely. The museum also holds a collection of local historical objects.1300 photos and 500 artefacts and paper items all catalogued. Local community archival records in storage boxes; school registers...
Housed in the historic former Army Medical Corps Drill Hall, this major archive specialises in Victorian history and contains manuscripts, documents, photographs and some artefacts (a catalogue is available). The Society has a library of Victorian, local and family history.Approximately 23,500 manuscripts plus 11000 books, 6000 photographs, 800 postcards and 600 map, and some artefacts.
This ecclesiastical collection is housed in an 1880s building and covers the history of the Catholic Church in Victoria. Photographic displays, rare books, embroidered vestments and illuminated manuscripts are housed here. An Archival and Research Centre holds official diocesan documentation, newspapers and letters.Estimated 10,000 items plus approximately 8-10,000 photographs
A collector's paradise, the Museum presents over 200 collections in thirty rooms. Set amidst five acres of International Gardens (the Savill Gardens), its special attractions include the fourteenth portable gaol built in Victoria and the state's smallest church.Estimate over 1 million items
High on a hill, with the mountain ranges as a backdrop, this 1882 pioneer home sits lovingly restored and furnished by the Wandin Community. The house built of hand made bricks produced on the site, was finished in 1862. It was built by Henry Sebire, a stonemason, who originally came from Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Journey back to pioneer life in the 1800's as your guide escorts you through the Homestead, St Mary's Chapel, the historic garden and other interesting buildings, or view the Wandin collection of artefacts in our Museum. You may simply want to visit Martha's tearoom and...
The Jewish Museum of Australia is a national institution dedicated to the conservation, preservaton and exhibition of Jewish heritage, arts, customs and religious practice in all its diversity. The permanent exhibitions are "A Timeline of Jewish History", "Australian Jewish History", "The Jewish Year" and "Belief and Ritual". The temporary gallery features a dynamic schedule of changing exhibitions. The collection comprises objects of ritual, religious, historical, cultural, social and artistic significance which encompass Jewish life and history. All...

Pages