Women

The museum is currently housed in the former Young Public School, built in 1883. Originally opened in the town library in 1967 by the Young Historical Society, formed in 1958, the museum later moved to larger premises in the old Presbyterian Church building that was unfortunately destroyed to make way for a restaurant. The museum then moved to the Young Public School.Collection items total tens of thousands and have various points of interest. Displays include a collection of fashion items dating from 1854, war memorabilia and items from the Old Young Gaol. Also, a number of trades and...
Nutcote was the harbourside home of the famous children's author and illustrator May Gibbs. It was built to her design in 1925 by acclaimed Sydney architect B.J Waterhouse. She lived there for forty four years until her death in 1969. Following a nation-wide outcry at the proposed demolition by a developer, the house was bought by the North Sydney Council and opened to the public in 1994.May Gibbs' property and possessions were sold on her death and the funds given to children's charities. The main items in the collection are the house itself and the garden; some items of furniture originally...
The Museum of the Riverina has two impressive sites. The first is situated in the former Historic Council Chambers, built in 1881, and converted in 1998 to function as a museum facility. This site is used as a meeting venue - in the former chamber - and as a venue for hosting a regular program of travelling exhibitions.

The second site, adjacent to the Botanic Gardens, was formerly run by the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society, and opened in 1965. The site was renovated and reopened in September 2001 and contains internal exhibitions and a number of outbuildings. The...
This picturesque colonial Georgian cottage (c.1845) set in fine gardens was bequeathed to the National Trust by Miss Ida Traill, a descendant of pioneering settlers in the Bathurst district. The 19th century cottage garden is ablaze with colour in Spring. Containing memorabilia collected by Miss Traill and her family, the cottage provides an authentic record of life in Australia's oldest inland city.
The Museum is housed in one of Katoomba's historic sandstone residences. Situated half a kilometre from Echo Point, The Three Sisters and The Scenic Railway, the Museum is on all mountain scenic bus routes.The Museum's collection of purses and handbags dates from 1650 to the late 1900s and shows examples of fashion excesses and trends. There are over 400 items in the collection demonstrating many craft techniques such as beadwork, crochet and embroidery.
The College of Nursing archival collection contains records pertaining to the college, the development of nursing in Australia as well as individual nurses and other nursing organisation records.The collection consists of mostly paper records and photographs and a large nursing badge collection.
The Powerhouse Museum Research Library collection, services and staff expertise provide a rich research resource for museum staff, library visitors and colleagues in the cultural sector. The Research Library collection dates from the establishment of the museum in 1880. The collection is diverse and reflects the changing research requirements from the past and anticipates future research needs. The library collects to support exhibition development, publication production, education programmes, museology and corporate information needs.The research Library collection reflects the interests...
Pioneer Cottage is a house museum, built in c.1880 of local cedar and beech by the pioneer John Kerle Burnett. Structurally unaltered, the rooms and furnishings are arranged as used by the Burnetts. On display are many household items that were in everyday use. The Burnett family lived in the cottage for more than seventy years. The displays reflect their early lifestyle and the living alterations they made as times changed. The Sibyl Vise Museum Room provides visitors with the opportunity to browse through photographs and read about the history of Buderim. At the rear of the cottage a slab...
The museum is situated in ten hectares of parkland and houses a vast display of mining era memorabilia: housing, dairy display, mining equipment etc. It also features a railway museum and a light horse museum. The winding engine operates under steam a minimum of four times a year.Over 4,000 items
The Winton and District Historical Society have operated the Qantilda Museum since 1972. The members of the society are volunteers who donate their time to help educate people about the pioneers who built the outback. During the 28 year existence of the historical society a huge collection of outback memorabilia and artworks have been accumulated, documented and set out in such a way as to educate people on the livelihood of the aboriginal inhabitants and, the livelihood of the districts settlers and their descendants. A reading room, which is frequently updated, provides an immense...
The stone house was constructed in the 1880s. The Museum features local historical items of interest, including photographs, machinery, communications and cultural materials from the local area.The Stone House, The Fossil Museum, The Howard Cottage with photographs, medical and local items, rural items.

1892 Country Post Office and Residence, furnished country Dance Hall, large lace collection, household requirements used from the turn of the 20th Century, early 1900 farm implements, Blacksmith shop and tools, cheese making equipment, World War 2 memorabilia, shepherds hut, country school building and much, much moreLarge lace collection, World War II Memorabilia, photographs, farm machinery, circa 1900 buildings, picnic area, BBQ, Cheese making equipment, Blacksmith shop and tools.

Our Chinchilla Museum has restored Pioneer cottage - fully furnished. Prickly Pear story from devastation to eradication. Traction steam engines, vintage motor vehicles, horse drawn vehicles, original Chinchilla state school, fully furnished - Two halls containing collection of Memorabilia of yesteryear: fully restored dairy and cream shed.Over 5,000 items on display, including farm machinery, horse drawn vehicles, well appointed library housing history of Chinchilla and its pioneers. First Chinchilla school (1883) on grounds containing early school memorabilia.
The Cooktown Museum is a museum of maritime history with a focus on Cape York/Torres Strait Islands and the surrounding regions. The museum's collection is a tribute to seafaring men who brought civilisation to the Far North. The pioneering history, the gold rush, early cyclones, early discovery, shipping and Chinese migration are just some of the themes depicted in the museum's collection.The collection consists of over 300 photographs and newspaper cuttings; 600 marine specimens including a shell collection; 11 model ships; 5 anchors; 2 gold skips; 8 canoes and other maritime memorabilia.
'Miegunyah' (1886) is a colonial home built when the local tradition was at its most ornate and opulent. It functions as a House Museum and headquarters of the Queensland Women's Historical Association. It is set in a tranquil leafy garden in historic Bowen Hills. The Association's comprehensive collection of personal and household items not only interprets this lifestyle but also enables regular changing exhibitions on wide ranging subjects. The building itself encapsules the late 19th century middle class Brisbane lifestyle. Within its collection it holds major items of memorabilia from Sir...
The Museum was established in a Pioneer house by the owner, Ms Olive Wieland, as a children's project in 1990. A Morning Star Chapel was begun for children 12 years ago. The Museum complements the Chapel, which is in the front room of the house. It contains an antique organ, table and chair and pews. The Museum includes a range of shells, pictures, wood specimens, household items and many items used on farms from the 1920s and earlier.Original farm implements, Horse drawn plow and other horse drawn farming equipment.
Housed in the relocated old Tolga Railway Station, the Tolga Historical Society have a collection of photographs depicting life during World War II, when Tolga was a major base for troops and for an ambulance train, as well as photos of the activities of the local saw mills which have now ceased operations. Other photos depict local maize farming activities and the building of the nearby maize silos. New showcases have recently been constructed to hold the exhibits. Railway apparatus from the original station is still intact.
Located in the main street adjacent to closed ANZ Bank, Café and B&B, the museum is housed in five buildings which contain a varied collection of items and memorabilia depicting life and activities from the surrounding shire area. The main building contains a reconstructed general store and barber shop, and rooms have been outfitted with furniture depicting a parlour and bedroom from the 1920s. A slab shed, built with materials from local properties, holds mining and agricultural equipment. Many exhibits depict rural life from earlier times, including examples of fencing, a horse works...
Social history displays of items of cultural and historic interest in a building of historic significance (former School of Arts - National Trust listed). Specialising in photographic displays with large collection of originals and copies. Also needlework and lace artefacts.3500 photographs and continually growing - predominantly on the Maryborough Burnett region, 3000 books, hundreds of files. Wedding gowns 1890-1910.
The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre recalls those familiar features of the Australian landscape - corrugated iron roofs, water tanks, silos, wool sheds and shady verandahs. The interior features a vaulted ceiling and displays designed to reflect the wide-open spaces, colour and character of the outback landscape they celebrate.

The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre has now proven itself to be the envisaged tourism destination. Longreach is a pivotal point on the Tropic of Capricorn, linking the Reef in the east with...

Pages