Architecture

The National Library of Australia is the country's largest library and one of its leading research and reference libraries. As a major cultural institution, the National Library's role is to maintain and develop a national collection of library material to record the documentary heritage of all Australians, and to make those collections available for all Australians to use. The National Library was designed by Sydney architect Walter Bunning. It is situated on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, Australia's National Capital. With Parliament House and the National Gallery of...
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The museum, originally the Post Office Hotel, is of slab construction, with a puddled iron roof. Built in 1860, it was occupied continuously until 1970, (as a private home since World War I). The museum is furnished as a private home and features extensive photo and gem-rock collections. Other buildings in the grounds include a school and a blacksmith shop.2,000 items; 2,000 photos; 2,000 gems and minerals
The Conservation Resource Centre records the history of houses, furnishings and gardens in New South Wales. It provides information, original source material and specialist services relating to domestic design history and building conservation. The research library contains and important collection of architectural and furnishing pattern books, department store and trade catalogues, journals, pamphlets, charts and archival material, as well as reference books and current periodicals. The reference collection contains artefacts from New South Wales houses, including wallpapers, soft...
This Scottish Baronial Style Mansion was built in the late 1880's by James Ewan. Glenleigh is said to be the finest example of Victorian interiors with stencilling of some degree in each room. Ceilings in the main rooms were specially painted by Italian artists to fit in with the character of the individual room.
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
John Verge designed the country homestead Bedervale set in a pleasant eight acre garden on a working rural property. The homestead adjoins an earlier enclosed courtyard and farmyard. It contains a unique collection of the original families furniture and personal effects from the 1840's and is still lived in as a home.Family collection from pre 1840 to 1900 in situ plus recent family additions. Australian and English furniture, china, paintings, household effects and kitchen utensils. Horse drawn vehicles and machinery.
Susannah Place is a small terrace row of four dwellings, built in 1843 and occupied until 1990. As a house museum, Susannah Place conserves, interprets and presents its historical interiors, collection and structural fabric in a way which acknowledges and illuminates changes in occupants and the broader transformation of the surrounding Rocks neighbourhood. The collection includes a rich archive of oral history records and personal effects contributed by the former occupants.
Built in 1851, Alne Bank is a late Georgian house of stuccoed rubble stone with cedar fittings and furniture. It has been the home of the Hindmarsh family for five generations, and it features a stone barn housing museum pieces, a family cemetery and a working dairy. One of its specialities is information on the history of cedar in the area.
Cooma Cottage was the home of Australias first native born explorer Hamilton Hume. Architecturally the house is a fine example of several forms of early colonial building.10 pieces of original Hume furniture in the 160yr old restored home of Hamilton Hume.
A former courthouse building (1869) is the site of a local history museum which focuses on Clarence Town as a terminal of navigation and river port. It's collection encompasses shipbuilding, exploration, maps, documents photographs, memorabilia, household items, timber-getting, agriculture and the history of the settlement of Williams River. In addition to the above, a native cottage garden is in the process of being established, together with a replica pioneer settlers cottage about to be constructed, materials on site, containing names, photographs (where available), and information on...
It is a fine example of a local history museum, well housed in premises attached to the Hunters Hill Town Hall, with objects displayed mainly in glass cabinets. The archives section is unfortunately very small, comprising shelving and steel filing cabinets. Files are kept in archive boxes, on book shelves and in the standard office type filing cabinets. The collection (material objects and ephemera) reflects aspects of local community life and environment. Hunters Hill, sometimes referred to as the "French Village", is a garden suburb of Sydney, where Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers...
Experiment Farm Cottage stands on the Colony's first land grant, Governor Phillip's reward to convict farmer James Ruse in 1791 for his successful farming experiment on this site. Colonial Surgeon John Harris bought Ruse's land in 1793 and built the existing Cottage in 1834. It is furnished to reflect the times and taste of Dr Harris. The cellar houses a permanent exhibition on the life of James Ruse.Approx 500 items of furniture and artefacts
Neotsfield was established from a land grant to Henry Dangar in 1825. The main house and stables were constructed from sun dried bricks made on site by convict labour. The eastern and western wings were added a little later to provide a U shaped courtyard. The property, buildings and outbuildings are of significant historic and architectural importance. The admission fee includes a guided tour of the house, outbuildings, formal garden and exhibitions.
'Addington' is Australia's oldest remaining settlers cottage, pre-dating 1800. The house contains a collection of regional historic memorabilia, particularly memorabilia relating to Boy Scout and Girl Guide activity within the Ryde and surrounding districts.
The Museum of Contemporary Art is Australia’s only museum dedicated to exhibiting, interpreting and collecting contemporary art from across Australia and around the world. With a continually changing program of exhibitions there’s always something new, exciting and inspiring to see at the MCA. Regular events, many of which are free, include lectures, performance and workshops throughout the year.

For touring exhibitions information go to http://www.mca.com.au/default.asp?page_id=155,000 works (1960s - present)

The museum exhibits relate to the town of Murrurundi and the surrounding district. In addition to the exhibits, files are made up of many aspects of the lifestyle and achievements of those who have lived there since 1840 when the town of Murrurundi was first laid out. The twin town of Haydonton was laid out in 1841-42 by Thomas Haydon and was a private town. Files of many families are featured. The Fishburn Room contains a splendid model of HMS Endeavour which was built by Thomas Fishburn and acquired by Captain Cook who refitted it before sailing in it on his voyage of discovery.1500...

The collection housed the Royal Australian Navy's presentations, relics and trophies, in buildings originally designed to warehouse armaments and ammunition. These are located on an island at the extreme western end of Sydney Harbour. The buildings date from 1865. Items from the collection are lent to most major maritime and military museums and throughout the Royal Australian Navy.Over 750,000 items
The Museum traces Westpac's history from its beginnings in 1817 as the Bank of NSW to the present age of plastic cards and electronic banking. It features dateline exhibits in chronological order; authentic room settings of early banks, a working branch of the 1890s and a programmed computer which answers commonly asked questions.The Westpac Museum presents: "Then and Now: A Journey from Melbourne in 1956 to Sydney 2000", comparing the technological, financial and social changes since the 1956 Melbourne games leading up to Sydney 2000 Olympics.
This heritage sandstone building has held a continuous license to operate as a pub since 1845. It's original cellar kitchen has artefacts on display.

Pages