Art

The Burra Mine was the largest metal mine in Australia, with typically Cornish surface and underground operations. The mine was worked for copper from 1845 to 1877. Between 1971 and 1981 the mine was reworked by open cutting. The Open Air Museum contains extensive remains of the mining operation. Also on the site is the Engine-house Museum, the only reconstructed Cornish Engine-house in the world. Admission to the Engine-house Museum is by separate fee. (See separate AMOL directory entry).50 different books and souvenirs for sale
The enginehouse has been fully restored (1986), apart from the original engine. A scale model (1:16) is fully operational and explained by guides. Videos (x3) provide further relevant information as do information boards on all three floors. Walks outside include; via a restored adit into the retimbered shaft, access to Morphett's Windinghouse, pool, mine offices and cottages, Grave's enginehouse and view of open-cut mine.Model and information boards mentioned above. Scale model of jinker. Mining artefacts, including cabinets inside of more sensitive material (e.g. 1820's pocket bible)....
The Riddoch Art Gallery is South Australia's only publicly-funded and professionally-staffed regional gallery. It is named in honour of grazier and Philanthropist, John Riddoch, who donated the original collection of early Australian and British works. The focus of the collection is post 1960s Australian art and includes paintings, photographs, graphics, works on paper, textiles, sculpture installations and craftworks. Specialist collections include the Rodney Gooch Collection of Aboriginal art, comprising of over 200 artworks including works by Emily Kame Kngwarreye and paintings,...
The Museum has been developed in the old One Tree Hill School building, c1854 (previously Uleybury School) as a classroom containing educational furniture and material through the years. There is also a craft shed with displays of children's art/craft. The Museum can be used by schools to show children what schools and teaching were like in the past.photographs and educational specimens
Established in 1881, the Art Gallery of South Australia houses the state's collection of Australian, European and Asian Art. In addition to the collection displays, the gallery hosts a regular program of temporary exhibitions, public talks and children's activities.40,000 plus items
The museum's collection reflects the heritage of the post WW2 immigrants who brought their culture and art to Australia from Latvia. There are various art forms on display including Latvian national costumes with elaborate patterns that once expressed religious and mystical ideas. The collection comprises of textiles; historical artefacts; present day examples of traditional folk art; jewellery; ceramics; wood carvings; documents; books; coins; paintings; photographs and oral history.The collection comprises of approx. 600 items. Textiles which include national costumes, rugs and handicrafts...
Located in Port Pirie Regional Tourism Arts Centre in a redeveloped passenger railway station, this award winning architectural designed building reflects the industrial, maritime and railway heritage of Port Pirie.Port Pirie Regional Art Gallery has a small collection of two dimensional works which concentrates on collecting regional South Australian artists and works focusing on the Flinders Ranges.
The New Land Gallery is unique in a national context for preferentially assisting the career development of South Australian country-based artists. The gallery runs a temporary exhibition program as well as holding a permanent collection of contemporary art by regional artists.Contemporary collection of paintings, prints, drawings and sculpture by regional South Australian artists.
Based in the Adelaide Central School of Art, Adelaide Central Gallery began in 1987 as an artist-run exhibition space. Its programme includes the work of well known and emerging artists in all media from both Adelaide and interstate. The exhibitions are managed by a gallery director. Exhibiting painters, sculptors, printmakers, craftspeople and photographers give informal lectures in the gallery on a regular basis. These sessions provide unique insights, especially for students, into the development of an artist's life and work.
Purpose built local government archival facility complete with environmentally controlled repositories, public search room and conservation laboratory.The archives contain 5,000 records. In the Civic Ccollection there are 3,000 items including 400 artworks. The Oral History Collection has 110 taped interviews and transcripts.
The museum is located in the repaired ruins of large ornate brick engine houses, built in 1905 for the Beaconsfield "Tasmania" gold mine. This 950sqm space is augmented by a 540sqm new building, outside space and a near-by park depicting the flowery gully school and a miner's cottage. A viewing platform overlooks the surface operational area of the Beaconsfield Mine Joint Venture. Average viewing time for the museum is 1 hour.2,000 items. Relics of Tasmania's largest gold mine 1878-1914, which produced 26 tonnes of gold. Adjacent to a large new mine about to produce gold from the...
Opened in 1978 the art gallery is regionally based and possesses one of the finest collections of Australian contemporary prints (works on paper) in Tasmania. Exhibitions are linked to local, state and national events and the Gallery maintains an ever changing exhibition schedule.800+ items in the permanent collection

Built by Thomas White in 1841, White House displays a fine collection of 17th and 18th century oak furniture, china, icons, paintings, prints, pewter and copper. The outbuildings house early bicycles, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and a special display of toys and miniature furnishings. Refreshments are available from a restored bakery with a wood fired oven.Approximately 250 items in the house, plus 20 vehicles, 15 bicycles and a large toy collection in outbuildings. The variety of collections on display at White House provide something of interest to most people including children....

This regional public art museum is housed in a converted historic church in the heart of Devonport. It has a predominantly 20th century collection of fine and decorative art and craft, with an emphasis on work by Tasmanian artists and crafts people. Exhibitions are enhanced by public programs including workshops, artists' slide talks, lectures and holiday art activities.arts collections 1,150 items; historical collections 328 items; 50,000-80,000 photographic negatives
Operated by the Glenorchy City Council, the Centre provides a large exhibition space. It also offers workshop facilities for community groups and artists.
Australia's oldest existing colonial gaol in original preservation offers the only surviving example of female solitary confinement cells in Tasmania and an extensive collection of convict relics. It includes men's solitary confinement cells, chain gang holding rooms, a flogging yard, privy, female cells and gaoler's house. Displayed documents describe the gaol's use until it was closed in 1928, highlighting the exploits of its most colourful prisoners (eg Martin Cash, Ikey Solomon).approximately 100 convict relics, plus documents
In the heart of Hobart's historic Salamanca Place behind the walls of five impressive Georgian warehouses and one historic cottage is one of the most exciting, lively and innovative art centres in Australia. The Salamanca Arts Centre is home to a great many art and craft, as well as artists, craft people and art organisations. Some of Tasmania's premiere cultural venues are within the Centre, including the Long Gallery, Side Space Gallery and Peacock Theatre, each with a constantly changing program of exhibitions and performances.
This is the art gallery of the Art Society of Tasmania. It displays changing exhibitions of art by members of the Society.
The Forest and Heritage Centre tells the story of the timber industry in Geeveston with displays of old photographs, tools and equipment to explanations of the modern day timber industry accessed on computer terminals within the forest room. Visitors to the centre can also view a wood turner in action, creating the local timbers.Approximately 50-100 items. Historical display of the timber industry of Geeveston including current timber industry information. Recent acquisition of an antique woodworking collection (still to be assessed, restored and displayed) believed to be the only collection...
Tasmania's state museum and art gallery established in the 1840s as the museum of the Royal Society of Tasmania. The buildings and site are of historical significance and include the first purpose built museum building dated 1863, the Commissariat Store 1808, the Cottage c1810 converted 1828, the Bond Store and Court Yard and Gateway 1823, the Queen's warehouse 1874, Art Gallery 1901, Custom House 1901 and extension of 1966 and 1986. The collections include Natural Sciences (Zoology, Botany, Geology), Applied Science, Humanities (Art, Decorative Arts, Costume, Social History, Indigenous...

Pages