Illuminated Manuscripts

'Miegunyah' (1886) is a colonial home built when the local tradition was at its most ornate and opulent. It functions as a House Museum and headquarters of the Queensland Women's Historical Association. It is set in a tranquil leafy garden in historic Bowen Hills. The Association's comprehensive collection of personal and household items not only interprets this lifestyle but also enables regular changing exhibitions on wide ranging subjects. The building itself encapsules the late 19th century middle class Brisbane lifestyle. Within its collection it holds major items of memorabilia from Sir...
Rockhampton is the only city in Queensland that has has an uninterrupted military presence of a 'regional' Troop since 1859. Our aretfacts and militaria traces this history through the display of uniforms from that time until now along with transport displays and displays of insignia.Because we cater for 'local' memorabilia, our displays have a deep emotional impact on all visitors. We have attempted to cover all conflicts the local troops have been involved in since Queensland's Statehood in 1859. Not only do we have a listing army connection but the Naval Brigade on the Central Queensland...
Since their arrival in Brisbane on 10th May 1861, the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation have established a variety of significant health, education, and social welfare programs throughout the state - from Townsville in the north, to Roma in the west, and south to Stanthorpe on the border - and missions in Papua New Guinea and other overseas locations.

The Mercy Heritage Centre is dedicated to preserving the work of the Mercy Sisters, and their well-provenanced history, and maintains collections of relevant artefacts. We also serve as a contact for the Congregational...
Eight separate buildings: The historic pioneer house, the one teacher school, the blacksmith shop, the Government Shed are equipped. Sheds house the farm machinery, stationary engines and fir engine, while a separate museum centre contains a library, photographic and interpretive displays, taped histories and various documents relating to social history. All in bushland setting.Kimba's local history museum includes pioneer domestic and farming items, stationary engines, harness vehicles and equipment, vintage trucks and tractors, a water conservation model, schooling and communication...
The museum is located in a heritage building in the heart of the Adelaide central business district. All items in the collection relate to freemasonry in South Australia and the Northern Territory, covering the period from 1834 to the present day. Some items originate from interstate or overseas. A guided tour operates every Thursday at 2:00 pm.The collection contains thousands of items of memorabilia, including regalia, jewels, furniture, glassware, minute books, paintings, warrants, and documents.
The Museum in John St Pakenham shares a common foyer with the Pakenham Library and houses books, paintings, plans, photos, clothes, old household objects, histories and council memorabilia.2000 items, many photographs. Good collection of local area. Local history books produced "In the Wake of the Pack Tracks", "North of the Line" and "Berwick Nostalgia". Collection of canes (approx 200). Railway memorabilia now on loan to Puffing Billy.
A treasure trove of information on local and district families and social life. mining records and memorabilia of gold rush and deep lead mining. Art works provide a significant insight into the cultural heritage of the area. Newspapers, microfilm and photograph, provide an almost complete record of the first one hundred years of settlement.Approximately 4000 items and 2000 photographs. Housed in the former Town Hall, a building classified by the National Trust - comprising notable artists and art works of historical importance. Featuring local artists Lindsay, Litherland, Moyle, Tibbits and...

The former Drysdale Court House (1880) presently houses a local history collection, index of family histories of the peninsula, pioneer index, index of arrivals by ship at Port Henry, court house furnishings, shire honour boards and plaques, cemetery records, early school rolls and agricultural equipment.

The Museum's Aboriginal name translates as "home of yesterday". It is housed in a bluestone and brick building built in 1874. Displays, including many photographs, dressed models, clothing and farm machinery, reflect the gold mining rush of 1856. The Mooney and Charles Best collections of Aboriginal artefacts are also featured, the Mooney collection being on loan from the City of Ararat.Approximately 4000 items, plus 1000 photographs

The Clunes Museum is an historic building (1860) in the main street of Clunes which houses a collection of memorabilia from Victoria's first gold town. Displays include agricultural, gold, coins and cultural themes. Reception has a shop where local crafts, souvenirs and local history books are on sale. A research section offers a wide range of records dating back to the early 1860's. The Clunes Museum is run by volunteers. The Clunes Museum is accredited by MAP.The major strengths of the collection of 2,500 objects are photographs and items pertaining to gold mining, agriculture, industry,...
The Museum is dedicated to conserving and displaying items relating to the local history of the Borough of Queenscliffe since 1838. The diverse collection reflects the many aspects of the development of Queenscliffe; sea pilot station, fishing village, military guardian of Port Phillip Bay and fashionable sea-side resort. The museum building is set in a grassed reserve between the Post Office and the Library in the main street of Queenscliff and houses both temporary and permanent exhibitions.Photographs from 1862 representing people, buildings, installations and the marine environment....
To preserve in our Museum memorabilia of Pentridge and Coburg. To encourage in our local schools an interest in Coburg History.2000 items, 3 000 photographs. his bluestone building (on the register of Victorian Historic Buildings) houses a range of local history material, including extensive records of early land transactions in Coburg and Pentridge, photographs of the district and of Pentridge Prison. Artefacts relating to early Coburg are displayed and include two sets of Coburg Mayoral Robes and Town Clerk's Robes. Front room dedicated to "Australia Remembers" displays of both...
This former Courthouse built in 1914 holds a collection of small domestic and agricultural artefacts on display and features a War Memorial Room. Documents include family, school, church, district, shire, sports and railway histories as well as ndividual files. Family research for inquiries is undertaken, using local resources and index of papers. Minute books of local organisations are stored safely. The museum also holds a collection of local historical objects.1300 photos and 500 artefacts and paper items all catalogued. Local community archival records in storage boxes; school registers...
The Stonnington Local History Collection is a collection of archival material held at two separate locations, Malvern and Prahran. Each archive houses historical photographs, plans, correspondence and ephemera. The collection also includes historical civic items held at the Prahran Town Hall and Malvern Town Hall. The archives can be accessed by contacting the local history officer. The officers also offer a research service. The local history officers work in partnership with the local historical societies. Prahran is a demographically diverse area with both grand architecture and...
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
The Gallery holds a collection of European and Australian paintings, prints and decorative arts from the 1700s, ethnographic material, antiquities and oriental decorative arts. It includes a large collection of works by the eighteenth-century English artist Paul Sandby.Approximately 7,000 items – Australian and English paintings and prints (1700s to contemporary), Greek and Roman Antiquities, Oriental Ceramics from the Han dynasty onwards, European glass, silver and ceramics (1700s to contemporary).
Built in 1884, the Ballarat Fine Art Gallery is Australia's oldest and largest regional gallery and Australia's 5th largest collection. Its collection spans early colonial through to contemporary art, with important works-on-paper collections and collections of decorative arts, costume and sculpture. Works from the Heidelberg School, and prints dating from Captain Cook's voyages to the present day are included. The Gallery also houses the original Eureka Flag, an important gold fields collection and Lindsay Family works.Approximately 6000 works of which approximately 3500 include work-on-...
The Museum is housed in a Trust National Building, which is currently undergoing restoration. There are many maritime objects, including models of ships and a scale model of "Gerberus". We also have early clothing, domestic articles, an historic signature quilt from World War I, which has been to Sydney on loan. We also have a sound effects machine, thousands of photographs, silverware, WWI memorabilia, family research and a bi-monthly newsletter.World War I memorabilia including a signature quilt made by the women of Williamstown including Jacka's signature. We have archival...
While Australia's oldest public art gallery The National Gallery of Victoria undergoes a program of redevelopment, a temporary gallery is located at 285-321 Russell Street. The magnificently restored 19th century galleries at Russell Street house over 700 key works from the NGV's permanent collection. The National Gallery of Victoria on Russell marks the Gallery's return to its original home, which it occupied from 1861 until the move to the Roy Ground's designed building in St Kilda Road in 1968.

The National Gallery of Victoria International Art will open in 2002 at the St Kilda...
This collection incorporates the Melbourne Open Air Sculpture Museum. It has approximately 4000 historical and contemporary objects including architectural plans, photographs, civic and ceremonial objects, sister city gifts, commemorative objects, and a visual art collection. It is used for research and for long and short term exhibitions. The Open Air Sculpture Museum is a collection of heritage and contemporary monuments and sculptures in public spaces.4000 items

Pages