Western District

The Warragul and District Historical Society collection is held at the Old Shire Hall in Warragul. It includes a large photograph collection, newspapers and artefacts associated with the district's history, particularly its timber and dairy industries.Estimated 2,000 items plus 1,000 photographs....

Newspapers, files on local organisations (eg churches, schools), photographs, local cemetery records, obituaries and some local family histories are included in this collection. The Society organises displays for special organisations and its local history artefacts are a useful resource for...
The Centre is housed in the historic Port Fairy Court House, formerly the district's Supreme court. The main courtroom is intact and includes the original furniture. Four other rooms feature displays on shipping and seafarers of the area, local properties and the origins of Port Fairy, one of...
The Battery was built to defend Victoria against a feared Russian invasion in 1889. A small collection of photographs and memorabilia are on display, while the underground Magazine and Lamp Passage are accessible by ladder. Three cannons were restored as part of Portland's 150th anniversary and...
Warrnambool Art Gallery was established in 1886 and has actively been acquiring artwork ever since. In 1986, a purpose built building opened on the civic green, Warrnambool. It houses two permanent collection galleries, a prints & drawing gallery, a temporary exhibitions space and a community...
Original buildings (lifeboat house 1862 and rocket house 1886), house an exceptional collection of maritime rescue equipment from the 19th and early 20th centuries. The collection includes a restored sea-going lifeboat, which was built at the Williamstown marine yard in 1857.Approximately 150...
A collector's paradise, the Museum presents over 200 collections in thirty rooms. Set amidst five acres of International Gardens (the Savill Gardens), its special attractions include the fourteenth portable gaol built in Victoria and the state's smallest church.Estimate over 1 million items
The Portland CEMA Arts Centre is a multipurpose venue utilised by community organisations and hirers for meetings, workshops, rehearsals performance and exhibitions. Its collection includes a selection of prints, drawings, watercolours and oil collected during the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Highlights...
Motor Museum featuring vehicles, stationary engines, motorcycles, signs, models, trams, tractor, a fully set up workshop, photographic and general motoring memorabilia. Extensive range of veteran, vintage and classic cars and trucks. Working exhibit - showing the internal workings of an early model...
The building was originally built as a coach house/blacksmith shop, in 1880, from local field limestone. It served a variety of commercial purposes until its conversion to a museum in 1993. Its whitewashed interior and polished timber floors is a perfect setting to display historical items....