Penrith Regional Art Gallery and The Lewers Bequest

This art gallery was formerly the home and workplace of artists Margo and Gerald Lewers. The permanent collection is an important survey of the development of Modernism in Australian art from the early 1930s to the late 1970s. The collection focuses on abstraction and is represented by the Lewers and their contemporaries, including artists such as Ralph Balson, Yvonne Audette, Carl Plate, Frank and Margel Hinder and Tony Tuckson. The Gallery has three distinct exhibition spaces - a large purpose built gallery; the original homestead (c1900); and Ancher House, a fine example of domestic architecture from the 1960s. It is set on two acres of garden overlooking the Nepean River.

Address: 
86 River Road, Emu Plains, NSW
Tel: 
0247351100
Hours: 
10am-5pm Seven days a week
Admission: 
Free
Facilities: 
Bookshop, education program, two acres of gardens
Collection: 
600 artworks approximately; 2,000 photographs and archival documentation
Share

Items

Oil painting

Dream of an Ancient Tablet

Dream of an Ancient Tablet
Creator:
Yvonne Audette
Description:
Abstract painting - oil on masonite.
Date:
circa 1968
Item Id Number:
1992.002

Painting

Broken Circles

Broken Circles
Creator:
Margo Lewers
Description:
Geometric abstract, expressionist painting - PVC on masonite.
Date:
1968
Item Id Number:
1980.053

Sculpture

The Rowers

The Rowers
Creator:
Gerald Francis Lewers
Description:
Stylised wooden sculptures of two rowers in action.
Date:
Early 1940s
Item Id Number:
1980.016

Oil painting

Constructive Element

Creator:
Ralph Balson
Description:
Geometric abstract painting, oil on cardboard.
Date:
1944
Item Id Number:
1980.061

Painting

Construction

Creator:
Frank Hinder
Description:
Geometric abstract painting, egg tempera on paper.
Date:
circa 1943
Item Id Number:
1980.018