Craft

The National Gallery of Australia is home to the nation's collection of art and has works drawn from every branch of the visual arts. The core of the collection is the Australia Collection which includes works by Roberts, Streeton, Condor, Boyd and Nolan. The International Collection parallels the Gallery's holdings of Australian art over the past two hundred years. It represents the major schools and movements in art from 1850 to the present. Other collections include Aboriginal Art comprising selections of traditional bark paintings through to contemporary works and Asian Art, including...
Blundell's Cottage was built in 1860 to accommodate skilled workers on the Duntroon Estate. It remains the only such building in the Parliamentry Triangle. Furnished to depict turn-of-the-century rural life, the cottage provides an intriguing contrast to modern Canberra. Visitors gain an insight into the Limestone Plains before it was chosen as the site for the National Capital. Education program designed for ages 8 to 11.The cottage collection comprises less than 700 objects, the majority of which are on display. The focus is domestic and rural equipment from the period 1890-1910.
A 1901 Federation style house and attached annexe, furnished in pre-1900 period. The annexe houses the Society's local and family history section. This includes photographs, a local library and all Grafton newspapers since 1859. The collection also includes local artefacts, memorabilia and documentation of early Grafton.Estimated 5,000 items and 10,000 photographs, plus 800 local history reference books in the library
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...
The Gallery is located in the Goulburn Civic Centre designed by Philip Cox Architects and completed in 1990. The Gallery's exhibition and public programs cover a broad range of art media and conceptual investigations, with areas of particular interest being contemporary Australian textiles and regional art. It is recognised for its role in developing collaborative curatorial projects. The collection is small but includes a nucleus of significant contemporary textiles and a series of drawings by Australian artist Guy Warren.150 items, including paintings, works on paper and textiles
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The museum, originally the Post Office Hotel, is of slab construction, with a puddled iron roof. Built in 1860, it was occupied continuously until 1970, (as a private home since World War I). The museum is furnished as a private home and features extensive photo and gem-rock collections. Other buildings in the grounds include a school and a blacksmith shop.2,000 items; 2,000 photos; 2,000 gems and minerals
The Conservation Resource Centre records the history of houses, furnishings and gardens in New South Wales. It provides information, original source material and specialist services relating to domestic design history and building conservation. The research library contains and important collection of architectural and furnishing pattern books, department store and trade catalogues, journals, pamphlets, charts and archival material, as well as reference books and current periodicals. The reference collection contains artefacts from New South Wales houses, including wallpapers, soft...
A small social history museum designed to show primary school students what life was like in Hornsby Shire when their grandparents were children. Set in the late 1930s, there is a pre-electric kitchen, corner stove, electrified laundry/bathroom with chip heater and a schoolroom, as well as a pictorial history of the development of the Shire and small changing displays. As part of the educational program, school groups can wash socks and play old fashioned school yard games in the park surrounding the museum. The museum also works well with nursing home and Alzheimers day care groups. Its...
Susannah Place is a small terrace row of four dwellings, built in 1843 and occupied until 1990. As a house museum, Susannah Place conserves, interprets and presents its historical interiors, collection and structural fabric in a way which acknowledges and illuminates changes in occupants and the broader transformation of the surrounding Rocks neighbourhood. The collection includes a rich archive of oral history records and personal effects contributed by the former occupants.
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
There are three exhibition galleries within the Grafton Regional Gallery - historic Prentice House, Main Gallery and The Loft. Major additions and renovations were completed in 1999. There are now state of the art exhibitions spaces, a multi-purpose studio workshop, an outdoor arena and collection storage facility. The gallery is home to the prestigious Jacaranda Acquisitive Drawing Award (JADA). With prize money of over $15,000, the JADA seeks to encourage and promote contemporary Australian drawing.The Gallery Collection of over 400 works is constantly growing through an active policy and...
A former courthouse building (1869) is the site of a local history museum which focuses on Clarence Town as a terminal of navigation and river port. It's collection encompasses shipbuilding, exploration, maps, documents photographs, memorabilia, household items, timber-getting, agriculture and the history of the settlement of Williams River. In addition to the above, a native cottage garden is in the process of being established, together with a replica pioneer settlers cottage about to be constructed, materials on site, containing names, photographs (where available), and information on...
Sketchley Cottage is a furnished slab cottage which was owned by a convict. A separate museum on the site houses heritage items, machines and a blacksmith shop.500-1,000 items. Emphasis on agricultural items hand made tools, linen and farm machinery
A large 24 room folk museum established in the old Glen Innes Hospital. Land of the Beardies houses a very wide and representative collection of objects, artefacts and documents dating back to early settlement in the 1840s. It also provides an outside machinery exhibit and an archive and research centre with over 200,000 references.Over 10,000 items
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
This art gallery was formerly the home and workplace of artists Margo and Gerald Lewers. The permanent collection is an important survey of the development of Modernism in Australian art from the early 1930s to the late 1970s. The collection focuses on abstraction and is represented by the Lewers and their contemporaries, including artists such as Ralph Balson, Yvonne Audette, Carl Plate, Frank and Margel Hinder and Tony Tuckson. The Gallery has three distinct exhibition spaces - a large purpose built gallery; the original homestead (c1900); and Ancher House, a fine example of domestic...
The museum is in a granite 2 storeyed building - the Royal Hotel 1845. It was owned by surveyor James Larmer who accompnied Mitchell on exploration trips and surveyed all the South East of the colony. The building was bought by Grand United Order of Oddfellows in 1882 and two large halls were added for meetings and balls. It is situated in the main street of Braidwood, a National Trust town. There is a speaker or excursion each month, an annual dinner in June.2100 artefacts, 900 photographs are of local origin. A unique attraction is the Nomchong collection. This family were traders in the...
The Pioneer Women's hut is a small national museum run by volunteers and representing working class rural women (farm and town) and their families. The collection reflects everyday life and is shown in changing displays on themes such as: Coping With Flies; Mondays; Time For Fancywork; Hidden Lives.1700 objects, 300 magazines, 200 books
The Lismore Visitor and Heritage Centre provides tourist information, a large range of local arts and crafts, and a walk through representation of a rainforest. An historical section includes intricate models of life in the area.

Pages