Quilt No.729NS - Nancy Stinson

Nancy Stinson
Owner: 
Nancy Stinson
Location: 
NSW Riverina
Maker
Maker: 
Sara Harborne
Made in
AUSTRALIA NSW
Date: 
1921 - 1940
Description: 
The padding consists of layers of pieced used clothing including; part of machine knitted child's wool dress (Nancy had this when she was 3 or 4); part of father's cardigan; parts of 'neck to knee' bathers in light green and dark green wool. The padding is all hand pieced and machined around the edge. There have been 2 wholecloth cotton covers to this quilt. It is one of a pair.
1870 x 1020mm
History: 

Sara Harborne made the padding and the first cover(discarded long ago) of this quilt in Billinudgell on the north coast of NSW c.1933. It was made to go on a camp stretcher at their beach camping holiday. It is now owned by Sara's daughter Nancy Stinson who made a second cover for the same padding c.1970. It is not used now.

Story: 

"The quilts were made by Nancy Stinson's mother, Sara Harborne (1893-1978) in about 1933.
Sara's husband was a school teacher and in 1931 the family went to Billinudgel. The children were Enid, Nancy and James. New Brighton Beach, about where Ocean Shores is now, was close to Billinudgel and just north of Brunswick Heads. Sara and the children went there for some years for a camping beach holiday. The 2 quilts were made to go on the camp stretchers. The family had 2 tents, one for the kitchen and one for sleeping. There was hessian put around 3 trees and this area was for changing in. Sara's husband did not like the beach and did not go on the camping holidays. He stayed at Fernleigh and looked after the animals. The family had moved to Fernleigh in 1934, it was about 25 miles from Billinudgel.
Sara was an excellent seamstress and made all the children's clothes until they went to High School. Nancy remembers only one bought dress and that was when she went to hospital to get her tonsils out. Sara used to get catalogues from Farmers, David Jones and Anthony Horderns and Nancy remembers calico aprons with pre stamped patterns on them. She remembers sewing many of these including fancy working one that had Phar Lap on it in 1933.
At Fernleigh Nancy worked for 9 weeks for 45/- in order to buy a watch for 2 pounds ten shillings. She helped neighbours who lived about half a mile down the road, helping milk the cows and other farm jobs. Her mother Sara, put in the last 5/- for the watch. Nancy and her sister rode horses 4 miles to Nashburn railway station to catch the North Coast mail train for about 16 miles to Lismore where they went to High School so Nancy had to have a watch,
Nancy identified many pieces of clothing in the padding for the quilts and thought the dark woollen 'neck to knee' bathers came from her mother and father and the lighter ones belonged to Nancy and her sister Enid. Nancy mentioned a label still on one piece of the light green bathers inside the neck: 'Sydney Snow Ltd. Pitt and Liverpool St, Sydney, N.S.W.'
Nancy (born 1923) and Logan (deceased) were married in 1951 and have 5 children (Bill 1952, Wendy 1955, Robyn 1957, Peter 1960, David 1967. The quilts came to her some time after they were at 'Kinloch' on the Temora road where they were in general use on the beds. They came to town (Coolamon) to Dunrobin Street in 1973 and Peter and David mainly used the quilts. Peter took one to Bringabee Station where he was working and David used one at Dunrobin Street.
Nancy values the quilts that have only ever had two covers. She is a fine needlewoman herself, likes quilting and is good at many crafts."
[Notes taken on visit to Nancy Stinson by Morley Grainger and Wendy Hucker on 30.1.2000 and phone conversation between Nancy and Wendy on 31.1.2000]

Nancy looking at her baby dress, 2000
Nancy looking at her baby dress, 2000
Nancy (left) and Enid 1925
Nancy (left) and Enid 1925
New Brighton late 1930s
New Brighton late 1930s
Share

Related Quilts:

Yvonne Hamdorf
Wholecloth pram quilt with a top of pink cotton sateen, and the reverse is a more finely woven, ivory, fabric. All over quilting design as main feature, with stylised hearts, leaves and cross hatching. The padding is cotton batting. 870 x 660 mm.
John Tomkin
Hand stitched, cotton, appliquéd, quilt in a flower pattern on a plain background. Colours are shades of green, apricot and browns. This quilt was known as a 'Bride's Quilt'. Padding is thought to be layers of white fabric raised almost like a wadding. The backing is cotton material. 2470 x 2020 mm.
Inverell Pioneer Village
Wholecloth quilt made of red floral crinoline cotton material. Quilting is in vertical rows, alternating cables with orange peel patterns. Padding is of cotton flock. Backing is of white cotton. Quilt is edged with a self fabric ruffle on three sides. Hand sewn.
2236 x 2236mm
Dorothy Stevens
Utilitarian quilt. Padding consists of recycled hand knitted jumper pieces (mainly 3 ply crepe and 8 ply) tacked to a layer of cotton material with strong buttonhole twist thread. The top is a piece of cotton fabric. Machine quilted in rows approximately 70mm apart.
1827 x 1423mm
Jindera Pioneer Museum
Quilt made of 26 x 13 rectangles of woollen men's suiting samples. Each rectangle is about 70 x 130 mm. Wide variety of patterns, mainly stripes, and colous. The padding is part of a worn cream blanket and joined pieces of woollen clothing. The backing is a well worn piece of brushed cotton. Machine made.
11900 x 1870 mm
Powerhouse Museum
"A quilt or coverlet of natural cotton sheeting with appliqueed motifs cut from a variety of crimson cotton damask. The quilt is hand sewn and nearly square and has a 12 cm border made from the same crimson damasks. The applique motifs consist of a range of hexagons, rosettes, flowers, hearts and stars that radiate outwards from a large centrally placed star shape. All are the same shade of crimson red which suggests they were dyed in the same dye pot. The fabrics are now quite thin and soft which suggests that the quilt, or the fabric it was made from, was well used." [PHM]
1960 x 1950mm