Aboriginal Artefacts

Opening as the flagship for Centenary of Federation celebrations, the National Museum is the first in the country devoted to the stories of Australia and Australians, exploring the key issues, events and people that have shaped and influenced our nation. Rare and fascinating objects which illustrate the complex origins of the Australian continent and nation have been collected for the past 20 years and are the focus for the Museum's wide range of stoires and exhibitions. State of the art technology and exhibition design present these stories in an exciting and inventive manner, including...
The Headland Museum at Nambucca Heads is a small, uncluttered Museum with a large photographic display depicting the early days of timber and shipping in the area. Some fine pieces of furniture, china, and ceramics are housed in the Museum, as well as craft, kitchenalia and farming implements. Aboriginal artefacts are featured, including a genuine "King" plate. Records of shipwrecks on the Nambucca are available, as well as of general shipbuilding including the "Royal Tar". Early mill owners are documented and a good collection of timber working tools is on display. The...
The Museum collection is housed in a building of local stone, listed on the Register of National Estate and comprising a schoolmaster's residence and attached schoolroom (c.1873). The display highlights the history of the Merimbula-Pambula area & identifies some well known local individuals, such as Syms Covington assistant to Charles Darwin, William Mckell who was later Governor General of Australia.500 items plus estimated 600 photographs. Photographic displays, artefacts and business records relating to early local industries and families e.g. The Maizena factory and the Munn family,...
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
The museum is housed in The Old Narrabri Gaol which is listed on the National Estate Register and classified by the National Trust. Exhibits are mounted in the cells, exercise yards and outbuildings. They consist mainly of historical items associated with life in the town of Narrabri and surrounding district.100,000+ file reference cards to local people, photographs, local newspapers from late 1800s and on microfilm, World War memorabilia, family history records, and burial records.
The Museum is housed in the former Wollombi Court House (1866). The exhibits are of a wide variety and reflect everyday life in the area. There are item relating for farming and mining as well as many household items. A major part of the collection is devoted to clothing. Another feature is the Wyndham collection, which consists of books, clothing, china, postcards, photos and furniture donated by the Wyndham family. The rear of the building has two cells used to house prisoners. The judges bench houses a growing photographic collection of the life and time of the area. Restored in 1954...
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The Great Lakes Historical Museum has a fine display of historic buildings from the Great Lakes area including the original National Bank at Forster (a 1940's cottage); the Tuncurry Public school, built in 1886; the Cheers family cottage, built in the 1940s; and the original Tuncurry police station lock-up which was used from 1948-59. In the grounds of the museum there is a typical 1960's fishing boat, a working windmill which pumps water for our lawns and various artefacts relating to the local history. The buildings have all been fully refurbished and contain interesting displays. The...
The collection was given to the University of Sydney in 1887 by Sir William John Macleay, and incorporated the natural history and ethnographic collections of three members of the Macleay family. The collections are still of considerable research interest and great historical significance, and have been expanded to include historic scientific instruments and historic photographs. The museum has many nineteenth century features including elegant cedar display cases and an atmosphere of great charm and aesthetic appeal. Temporary exhibitions complement the permanent displays.700,000 insects...
The St. George Regional Museum is maintained and run by Hurstville City Council, as a facility designed to collect, preserve, interpret and exhibit artefacts that relate to the history, heritage and culture of the regional area. The Museum is an ever changing entity designed to adapt to the needs of the local community, through interesting educational and public programs and special events.The St. George Regional Museum collects, records, researches, preserves, displays and stores material culture from the St. George district pre-1788 to 1970. The material culture collected will be used in...
McCrossin's Mill Museum and function centre is owned and operated by volunteers of Uralla Historical Society. The superbly restored three-storey flour mill houses many exhibitions, each with a distinctive, sometimes even humorous flavour. Visitors are astonished to find such a "Professional" set up in the quaint village of Uralla. Population 2,500. They also love the mill's beautifully maintained gardens, and the "Death of Thunderbolt" Painting series.Major features: Chinese Artefacts, "Death of Thunderbolt paintings", Thunderbolt Exhibition, Corporal Cecil...
Berrima Museum is located in the historic village of Berrima, NSW, mid-way between Sydney and Canberra. The museum is managed and operated by volunteers of Berrima District Historical and Family History Society Inc, founded in 1960. Berrima Museum has been described as one of the best volunteer run museums in New South Wales. Its Mittagong archives contain an extensive collection of the history of the Berrima District, known today as the Wingecarribee Shire. Support material for the museum's displays is sourced from the archives. The museum was established in 1976 following the donation by...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
Volunteer organisation housed in historic bank building, locally heritage listed. The collection comprises items and memorabilia donated by the local community. All relate to the area's agricultural and dairying past and to Berry's origins as an estate town of Coolangatta Estate. There is a good collection of early twentieth century photographs (some original) taken locally; and records relating to local families are maintained. The building which houses the collection (rented from Council) is a former ESA bank building designed by nineteenth century architect William W Wardell. It...
General local history of the Bathurst region is featured in this collection of the Historical Society. Archives and photographs are included.1360 collection items.
The main museum building was Mullumbimby's first post office, built in timber in 1907, which was relocated to its present site in 1984. Summers Park in which the museum buildings and external exhibits are located, has a replica slab cottage, a large collection of horse drawn farm implements, and equipment from the local railway, water supply facility and brick works. Mullumbimby is the service centre for the Brunswick Valley and lies in the heart of the Byron Shire. A monthly market is held in Summers Park on the third Saturday of each month.The Museum houses a general collection of local...
Visitors can explore all aspects of Cobar's unique industrial, pastoral, Aboriginal and social history during a visit to the centre. Displays are housed in the Great Cobar Copper Mine's magnificent administration building erected in 1910. Interpretive signs outside guide visitors through the grounds and an amazing collection of mining and transport artefacts, and on to the surrounding heritage areas.20,000 objects relating to the social, mining, pastoral and Aboriginal history of the Cobar district, ranging from large transport to fine instruments. Includes over 3,000 photographs and 50 art...
The front building of the Museum was originally used as a house dating from 1842. It is the only remaining house building in the CBD area of Port Macquarie from that era.
All artefacts on display show development from convict beginnings to early settlement from the 1840s. Displays at the museum include; a 'street of shops' depicting life as it was in the 1800s and a prize-winning costume collection. The museum has been in operation for over 40 years and is the winner of awards for best museum.More than 20,000 items collected over a period of 40 years. Artefacts from all aspects of Port...
Housed in Osborne Hall, 1878, originally entertainment centre with Osborne Hotel. Great variety of items pertaining to life in Forbes from early days, household settings, clothing, gold mining collection, splendid and extensive photographic collection, Paul Wenz corner, Ben Hall (Bush Ranger) unique memorabilia, aboriginal display, outside area has examples of agricultural and shearing items, farming vehicle and many more treasures of the way of life in earlier Forbes and District.Approximately 20 000 plus items
The Society was formed in 1963 and since 1968 has opeated a museum in the former School of Arts building, which is heritage-listed. The purpose of the Museum is the collecting, preserving and interpreting of local heritage for everyone. The Society aims to promote local history, including family history and the Museum collection, to the local community and the general public.Dungog Museum has a wide range of items representing local and family history. The collection reflects the area's rural history, including dairying and the timber industry, and local manufacturing including items from...

Pages