Building Technology

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
Located in National Triangle, minutes from the city and other major attractions. Australia's largest interactive science centre with over 200 hands-on exhibits. Specifically catering for families and offers good value for money. Spend a couple of hours or an entire day. Free parking.6 large galleries with themed exhibitions that are constantly changing to keep up-to-date with current topics. All exhibits are hands-on and have a strong educational focus.
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
Gledswood Farm Museum is an attraction of Gledswood Homestead, itself a tourist destination and heritage attraction. The museum is located in the granary of the coach house.422 artefacts, 196 photographs
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
Society of 40 persons dedicated to restoration of 1860's Hargraves Courthouse complex. Large triple solid brick courthouse and living quarters, semi attached via enclosed walkway, vertical iron bark slab kitchen (now fully restored), detached vertical slab laundry and large separate horizontal slab stables building. An 1860's public toilet is expected to be operational later in 2002. Hargraves is the site of the first underground gold mine in Australia, founded 1854.In addition to the buildings described above, the society has amassed a large collection of old photographs depicting the...
Susannah Place is a small terrace row of four dwellings, built in 1843 and occupied until 1990. As a house museum, Susannah Place conserves, interprets and presents its historical interiors, collection and structural fabric in a way which acknowledges and illuminates changes in occupants and the broader transformation of the surrounding Rocks neighbourhood. The collection includes a rich archive of oral history records and personal effects contributed by the former occupants.
Built in 1851, Alne Bank is a late Georgian house of stuccoed rubble stone with cedar fittings and furniture. It has been the home of the Hindmarsh family for five generations, and it features a stone barn housing museum pieces, a family cemetery and a working dairy. One of its specialities is information on the history of cedar in the area.
Don Bank is an early 19th century cottage and a surviving example of a timber slab house construction. The house was one of the first built on the Wollstonecraft land grant and has connections to the Berry and Wollstonecraft families. Don Bank's static displays feature the house itself, its changing styles and fabrics as well as the social history of the area. A highlight of Don Bank's collection is its kitchen objects and extensive costume and textile collection.500 clothing and textiles items; 300 household items
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The Fort Scratchley Historic Site is a nineteenth century Coast Defence Fort, constructed in 1882 and extensively modernised in 1892 and then again in 1910. As a result, this single site shows the development of Australia's coast defences from the muzzle loading era through to its zenith during World War II. Remaining at the fort are most of the original gun emplacements and underground ammunition stores and magazines, as well as four 80 pounder rifled muzzle loading guns and two 6 inch Mark VII breech loading guns, which are examples of the earliest and the latest guns used at the fort.2,...
Historical papers, photos and memorabilia on the building of Sydney Harbour Bridge are on display at the bridge. The exhibition includes video material of the bridge being built and harbour tunnel footage.50 items; 100 photographs
Tocal Homestead is a collection of buildings dating from the 1820s including Webber's Cottage (1822), Blacksmith shop (1820s), Stone Barn (1830), Tocal Homestead (1841), Brick Stables (1860s) and Blacket Barn (1868). The Homestead itself, as with the out buildings, has remained virtually unchanged since its construction. The site also has evidence of Aboriginal inhabitants. The property Tocal originally operated as a sheep and horticultural enterprise, later becoming famous for its stud cattle and thoroughbred race horses Other features of the site include a bottle collection, graves,...
Elizabeth Bay House was constructed from 1835-1839, under the supervision of N.S.W based architects John Verge and John Bibb, from plans obtained from an unidentified English source for Alexander Macleay, Colonial Secretary of N.S.W 1826-1837 and his wife, Eliza. The house was intended to be the finest house in the colony. It was built within a celebrated landscape garden which was developed from 1826 onwards. Today the interiors of Elizabeth Bay house have been carefully reconstructed to the 1839-1845 period. Appropriate furniture, wallpaper, carpets, soft furnishings and fittings...
Once at the heart of a large estate, Elizabeth Farm was the home of John and Elizabeth Macarthur, and was an important social, political and agricultural centre during the first forty years after the establishment of the colony of New South Wales. Construction of the house commenced in 1793, and it remains the oldest surviving European building in Australia. Remodelled and extended in the 1820s, it is a typical early homestead, a single storey structure with encircling verandahs. The furnishings are largely reproduction, based on detailed research, and reflect the house's appearance and...
Fairfield City Museum and Gallery consists of a museum with a permanent local history exhibition, a historical village, a temporary exhibition gallery and a community access space. The historic village, complete with soundscapes, brings to life Western Sydney from 1900 to the 1930s, with reconstructed and heritage buildings, including a schoolhouse, a slab hut, a weatherboard cottage, a blacksmith's shop, a motor garage, The Biz newspaper printery and Wheatley's Store. The temporary exhibition gallery and community access space host exhibitions representing the diverse cultures of Fairfield...
The Museum building was constructed in 1909. It was opened in 1910 as the Gloucester Shire Council Chambers. The Council occupied the building until 1959. It then became a private residence until 1984 when the Gloucester District Historical Society Inc. purchased it. The building is listed in the Register of the National Trust of Australia (NSW).The Society collects and displays objects from the Gloucester District. Objects are, Australian domestic items, textiles, toys, military memorabilia, geological specimens, tools and photographs of activities, events and scenes of the Gloucester
...
This display concentrates on the history of the Port of Maryborough and how the city developed around the Port (an important river port and the Port of Entry for immigration)Approximately 5,000 items. Collection relates to the museum displays and the history of the Port of Maryborough and associated industries.
This heritage-listed woolscour, that once operated by steam, has been left intact as a living document. It is this last one of this type in Australia. There is a 20 stand shearing shed attached to the wool washing complex and an open flowing bore nearby. Outbuildings include a cookhouse, shearers quarters and managers residence. It has been left mainly intact and conservation work completed in 2002 reintroduced steam to the site.The collection consists mainly of historic machinery and buildings, large boilers, steam engines, wool wash troughs, large steam driven dryers, historic wool presses...
Acland was the last underground coal mine on the Darling Downs of Queensland and the last in Australia to work under these conditions, the only one to be intact from a working colliery. Guided tours show how and why items were used, the history and make-up of coal.Eight buildings and associated machinery. All items used by coal miners at the Acland Colliery (1913-1984). Hand Borers used 1913 to 1956 - Coal Cutter, Loader, Loco's, Crusher, Winch and drum used 1956 to 1984. Coal mining lights from Tallow to modern electric, Gas Testing - Safety Lamp, Drager, Anemometer, Sling Hygrometer, Books...

Pages