Australian War Memorial

Australian War Memorial

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to the present. The Memorial's Research Centre holds an unrivalled collection of private and official records relating to war and significant holdings of books, newspapers and journals.

Commemorative works and sculptures are sited in the grounds of the Memorial, particularly in the Sculpture Garden on the western side of the building. In the Research Centre, on the ground floor, visitors are encouraged to look up family members, research military history, watch films and view photographs and works of art online. Visitors can also access the Memorial's many databases online via the Memorial's website. The Memorial also holds a vast collection of official war art by artists such as Drysdale, Streeton, Nolan, Tom Roberts and more recently Wendy Sharpe and Rick Amor

In the last five years the Memorial has undergone an extensive redevelopment program resulting in new galleries, such as the Second World Gallery, Bradbury Aircraft Hall and a hands on Discovery Room for children and school groups. ANZAC Hall, the Memorial's newest exhibition space was opened in June 2001. ANZAC Hall contains a vast collection of military technology, including the Japanese Midget Submarine that attacked Sydney Harbour in 1942. The Sydney Under Attack 'object theatre' presentation uses light, sound, photos and film to re-create the attack. The presentation runs hourly each day from 11am. Also on show is Australia's oldest military aircraft - the Deperdussin, a First World War Mark IV tank, an Iroquois helicopter from Vietnam and a virtual re-enactment of Australia's first naval victory in 1914.

Address: 
Treloar Crescent, Campbell, ACT
Tel: 
0262434211
Hours: 
Every day 10.00am - 5.00pm, ACT and NSW School Holidays 9.00am - 5.00pm. Closed Christmas Day.
Admission: 
Free, but a donation is appreciated.
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access, disabled parking, gift shop, two cafes. The Landing Place in ANZAC Hall and the Outpost located next to the Memorial's main building, research centre, on-line information, free guided tours, temporary exhibitions, public education programs, image sales, guided tours, education programs, corporate function and theatre facilities, coach parking.
Collection: 
The Memorial's collection reflects Australia's participation in armed conflicts in many parts of the world. These include colonial wars in New Zealand and the Sudan, the South African War, the Boxer Rebellion in China, the First and Second World Wars, the Korean War, the Malayan Emergency, the Indonesian Confrontation, the Vietnam War and modern peacekeeping operations, including the Interfet Forces in East Timor.

The collection includes a wide range of objects: sculptures, paintings, uniforms, medals, badges, flags, weapons, aircraft, vehicles, battlefield relics, photographs, film, sound recordings, official records, private papers, maps and ephemera.
Share

Items

Mosaic

Hall of Memory Mosaic

Hall of Memory Mosaic
Creator:
Napier Waller
Description:
Commemorative mosaic
Date:
1958
Item Id Number:
AWM 90409

The Memorial’s Hall of Memory is decorated with a mosaic designed by Napier Waller. He had fought with the Australian Imperial Force as an artilleryman in the First World War and lost his right arm at the battle of Bullecourt in 1917. He was commissioned to create the mosaic and stained glass windows in 1937. The mosaic is made up of six million glass tiles of 70 different colours, covering more than 1,280 square metres. The tiles were laid in the 1950s by a team of war widows working with an Italian mosaic artist under Waller’s direction. The mosaic commemorates the servicemen and women of the army, navy, air force and auxiliary services in the Second World War

In the 1990s it became apparent that serious cracking in the dome was causing the tiles to fall off. In October 1997 the Memorial initiated a program of restoration, managed by Bligh Voller Nield architects, assisted by International Conservation Services and the English Heritage Authority, which ensured that the work was carried out in accordance with applicable heritage standards. The restoration program involved the removal of about one third of the mosaic, the application of new grout and the painstaking replacement of the tiles.

The work took over two years to complete and cost about $1 million. The restored Hall of Memory was opened by the Queen during her visit to the Memorial on 27 March 2000.