Childhood

Located in National Triangle, minutes from the city and other major attractions. Australia's largest interactive science centre with over 200 hands-on exhibits. Specifically catering for families and offers good value for money. Spend a couple of hours or an entire day. Free parking.6 large galleries with themed exhibitions that are constantly changing to keep up-to-date with current topics. All exhibits are hands-on and have a strong educational focus.
The Schoolhouse was built in the early 1840s and operated continuously until 1880 and from 1895 to 1907. The Museum consists of the original schoolroom and five other rooms used as a home for the school Master and his family. In addition to the furnishings and artefacts of the school and the schoolhouse, the Museum has a collection of photographs on display of Canberra in the 19th and early 20th centuries and a collection of objects relating to the history of St John's Church and other churches of the district.approximately 600 items including up to 200 photographs.
The Lu Rees Archives is a collection of resources encouraging the study and research of Australian children's literature. The archives is named after Lu Rees, who was the creator of the collection. Her own collection of children's books and manuscripts formed the nucleus of the collection which begun in 1974. In July 1980 this collection was deposited with the University of Canberra Library in Australia and the library has agreed to house, organise and support collection development.The Lu Rees Archives is a significant and unique collection of Australian children's Literature. It holds...
A 1901 Federation style house and attached annexe, furnished in pre-1900 period. The annexe houses the Society's local and family history section. This includes photographs, a local library and all Grafton newspapers since 1859. The collection also includes local artefacts, memorabilia and documentation of early Grafton.Estimated 5,000 items and 10,000 photographs, plus 800 local history reference books in the library
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...
Closed in 1969 as an official teaching establishment, the 1908 weatherboard teacher's residence and one-teacher schoolhouse set in 10 acres of recreation grounds, were restored as a Bicentennial project and the museum was subsequently opened in November 1988. The school site was originally established in 1869. The present school, the second to be built on the site, is fully functional and seats 30 plus primary school age children. Pens, ink, project sheets and teachers' aids are available for use. The school houses a large collection of early kindergarten and primary school text books and...
Nimbin Museum is a journey through eight rooms in chronological order (Aboriginal, pioneer, and hippy eras) as the visitor follows the rainbow serpent path. One of the strengths of the collection is "hippypernalia". Nimbin is a holy town and this trip is sacred!7,000 items and numerous inbuilt artistic works
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
A small social history museum designed to show primary school students what life was like in Hornsby Shire when their grandparents were children. Set in the late 1930s, there is a pre-electric kitchen, corner stove, electrified laundry/bathroom with chip heater and a schoolroom, as well as a pictorial history of the development of the Shire and small changing displays. As part of the educational program, school groups can wash socks and play old fashioned school yard games in the park surrounding the museum. The museum also works well with nursing home and Alzheimers day care groups. Its...
Built in 1885-6, Meroogal is a 5 bedroom timber house with "Gothic" trimmings. Four generations of women from the Thorburn family have occupied the house. Their daily routines, domestic chores and the pursuit of genteel interests have left indelible marks on the house. Meroogal, with its intact collection of furniture and furnishings allows visitors a personal insight into the private world of a single family.The collection includes furniture, household objects, diaries, letters, scrapbooks, photographs and clothes, allowing a very personal insight into the private world.
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
Susannah Place is a small terrace row of four dwellings, built in 1843 and occupied until 1990. As a house museum, Susannah Place conserves, interprets and presents its historical interiors, collection and structural fabric in a way which acknowledges and illuminates changes in occupants and the broader transformation of the surrounding Rocks neighbourhood. The collection includes a rich archive of oral history records and personal effects contributed by the former occupants.
The Ungarie Museum contains items of historical interest, donated by residents over the years. These include old photographs, bottles, rocks, other small collectibles, farming implements, household equipment and books. Some machinery is displayed in the outside yard.Approximately 600 items listed in catalogue
It is a fine example of a local history museum, well housed in premises attached to the Hunters Hill Town Hall, with objects displayed mainly in glass cabinets. The archives section is unfortunately very small, comprising shelving and steel filing cabinets. Files are kept in archive boxes, on book shelves and in the standard office type filing cabinets. The collection (material objects and ephemera) reflects aspects of local community life and environment. Hunters Hill, sometimes referred to as the "French Village", is a garden suburb of Sydney, where Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers...
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...
The Pioneer Women's hut is a small national museum run by volunteers and representing working class rural women (farm and town) and their families. The collection reflects everyday life and is shown in changing displays on themes such as: Coping With Flies; Mondays; Time For Fancywork; Hidden Lives.1700 objects, 300 magazines, 200 books
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
Built in 1895, this two-storey former hotel opened as a museum in 1971. There are 22 rooms housing turn of the century fashions, furnishing and artefacts. Features include a kitchen; laundry; slab school house and historic machinery displayed in the grounds.600 varied items; 1 ha. machinery items

Pages