St John's Schoolhouse Museum

The Schoolhouse was built in the early 1840s and operated continuously until 1880 and from 1895 to 1907. The Museum consists of the original schoolroom and five other rooms used as a home for the school Master and his family. In addition to the furnishings and artefacts of the school and the schoolhouse, the Museum has a collection of photographs on display of Canberra in the 19th and early 20th centuries and a collection of objects relating to the history of St John's Church and other churches of the district.

Address: 
Constitution Avenue, Reid, ACT
Tel: 
0262496839
Hours: 
2pm-4pm Sat-Sun, 10am-12 noon Wed, 2pm-4pm on public holidays, during January school holidays, Canberra Festival and Heritage Week
Admission: 
Adults $1.50, schoolchildren 50c, family $4, concession $1
Facilities: 
School groups are especially catered for.
Collection: 
approximately 600 items including up to 200 photographs.
Share

Items

Photograph

St John's School Teacher James Abernethy and Pupils

Description:
10 inch x 12 inch b&w group portrait.
Date:
1872
Item Id Number:
185

Abacus

Description:
School abacus, size 9 inch x 10 inch.
Item Id Number:
285

School book

School Book of Maggie Anderson

Description:
School book which belonged to Maggie Anderson, a pupil of St John's School. Working book, awarded first prize for accuracy, 8 inch x 6 inch.
Date:
1904
Item Id Number:
279

Sewing sampler

School Sewing Sampler

Creator:
A.S.
Description:
Needlework sewing sampler, 6 inch x 6 inch, with initials A.S. third class.
Date:
circa 1892
Item Id Number:
283

Book

Fourth Book, Lessons for the Use of Schools

Creator:
John Ferguson, Sydney (publisher)
Description:
Book owned by James Abernethy, schoolmaster at St John's School in 1877 and used in the school.
Item Id Number:
464