EducationAndSchools

Located in National Triangle, minutes from the city and other major attractions. Australia's largest interactive science centre with over 200 hands-on exhibits. Specifically catering for families and offers good value for money. Spend a couple of hours or an entire day. Free parking.6 large galleries with themed exhibitions that are constantly changing to keep up-to-date with current topics. All exhibits are hands-on and have a strong educational focus.
The Polish Historical Institute in Australia aims to locate, collect, catalogue and preserve historical records such as the personal papers of Polish immigrants and Australians of polish descent plus the records of polish organisations in Australia. These records are deposited at the National Library of Australia and access to the collection is through the Manuscripts Reading Room.The Institute's collection comprises records of Polish organisations and papers of some Polish immigrants, including correspondence; minutes of meetings; newsletters and scrapbooks. The Institute has provided...
The museum complex is made up of a cottage built by the first Mayor of Tamworth in 1875 adjacent to a vertical slab shepherd's hut (ca1845), both on their original sites. The Mayor was Philip Gidley King, superintendent of the Peel River Land and Mineral Company (also at times known as the Australian Agricultural Co). King was the great grandson of the third Governor of New South Wales of the same name. Both buildings have been restored and conserved and furnished circa 1890s. They display memorabilia and bric-a-brac of historical interest in a garden setting.4,000 items
Closed in 1969 as an official teaching establishment, the 1908 weatherboard teacher's residence and one-teacher schoolhouse set in 10 acres of recreation grounds, were restored as a Bicentennial project and the museum was subsequently opened in November 1988. The school site was originally established in 1869. The present school, the second to be built on the site, is fully functional and seats 30 plus primary school age children. Pens, ink, project sheets and teachers' aids are available for use. The school houses a large collection of early kindergarten and primary school text books and...
Designed by world renowned Australian architect Glen Murcutt, the building in which this museum is housed is considered to be the first Australian building. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early time of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.Approximately 10,000 items. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from...
Nimbin Museum is a journey through eight rooms in chronological order (Aboriginal, pioneer, and hippy eras) as the visitor follows the rainbow serpent path. One of the strengths of the collection is "hippypernalia". Nimbin is a holy town and this trip is sacred!7,000 items and numerous inbuilt artistic works
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The museum, originally the Post Office Hotel, is of slab construction, with a puddled iron roof. Built in 1860, it was occupied continuously until 1970, (as a private home since World War I). The museum is furnished as a private home and features extensive photo and gem-rock collections. Other buildings in the grounds include a school and a blacksmith shop.2,000 items; 2,000 photos; 2,000 gems and minerals
We promote the preservation of the historic Yaralla estate, and the awareness of historic buildings and sites in our area. We also aim to preserve items from the past showing the differences between life in the old days and the present. Additionally, we gather and preserve information from past to present pertaining to our area.Household items, clothing, toys, office equipment, the first motor mower, large family tree from a first fleeter, tools etc
This restored Court House built in 1877 houses a collection of historic photos of Stroud and district. It also displays information on the formation of the Australian Agricultural Company in London in 1824, the farm grant of 500,000 acres on the Port Stephen estate and local and family history.
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
The Headland Museum at Nambucca Heads is a small, uncluttered Museum with a large photographic display depicting the early days of timber and shipping in the area. Some fine pieces of furniture, china, and ceramics are housed in the Museum, as well as craft, kitchenalia and farming implements. Aboriginal artefacts are featured, including a genuine "King" plate. Records of shipwrecks on the Nambucca are available, as well as of general shipbuilding including the "Royal Tar". Early mill owners are documented and a good collection of timber working tools is on display. The...
Local museum with over 4,000 photographs and several books on the Hills District for purchase. The museum conducts local area tours for adults and children. Guest speakers are available. Research facilities for local and family history are also available.2,000 items, 4,000 photographs. Tool collection very good - complete set of wood working tools.
A small social history museum designed to show primary school students what life was like in Hornsby Shire when their grandparents were children. Set in the late 1930s, there is a pre-electric kitchen, corner stove, electrified laundry/bathroom with chip heater and a schoolroom, as well as a pictorial history of the development of the Shire and small changing displays. As part of the educational program, school groups can wash socks and play old fashioned school yard games in the park surrounding the museum. The museum also works well with nursing home and Alzheimers day care groups. Its...
The entry to the Lachlan Historical Village is the Trigilana Wool Shed. After crossing a suspension bridge, visitors can view the fifty five buildings which comprise the village, including stores, authentic homesteads, a bank, a school, the gaol and a gold mining area. Special features include Henry Lawson's childhood home, the home of bushranger Ben Hall and a medical hall with a collection of over 2,000 apothecary items.20,000 items, 500 photographs
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
This two storey Georgian style school house (ca1840) displays furniture, clothing, personal and household items, photographs and other objects from the late 1800s to the mid 1900s. The restored, convict built building also houses a collection of historic books from the Australian Agricultural Company (AAC), dating from the late 1700s to the 1800s.
Susannah Place is a small terrace row of four dwellings, built in 1843 and occupied until 1990. As a house museum, Susannah Place conserves, interprets and presents its historical interiors, collection and structural fabric in a way which acknowledges and illuminates changes in occupants and the broader transformation of the surrounding Rocks neighbourhood. The collection includes a rich archive of oral history records and personal effects contributed by the former occupants.
The Ungarie Museum contains items of historical interest, donated by residents over the years. These include old photographs, bottles, rocks, other small collectibles, farming implements, household equipment and books. Some machinery is displayed in the outside yard.Approximately 600 items listed in catalogue
The Museum features a broad cross-section of photographs, text and memorabilia related to the cultural and natural history of Lord Howe Island from it's discovery in 1788 onwards.

Pages