Kempsey Museum

Designed by world renowned Australian architect Glen Murcutt, the building in which this museum is housed is considered to be the first Australian building. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early time of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.

Address: 
South Kempsey Park, Pacific Highway, Kempsey, NSW
Tel: 
0265627572
Hours: 
Daily 10.00am - 4.00pm, closed Christmas Day and Good Friday
Admission: 
Adults $3.30, Children $1.10, Concession and Coach groups $2.20
Facilities: 
Guided tours, disabled access. Members of the Macleay River Historical Society meet on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 4.00pm.
Collection: 
Approximately 10,000 items. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early times of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. Working model sawmill, display of war service uniforms worn by local service people. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.
Share

Items

Leyland truck (Veteran)

1914 "B" Model RAF Leyland 3 tonne truck.

1914 "B" Model RAF Leyland 3 tonne truck.
Creator:
Leyland Motors
Description:
Three ton, solid tyre, wooden cabin, flat top body.
Date:
1914

Used during World War I and found its way to Macleay River area early 1920's. Used at Macleay in sawmilling and timber industry by RJ Jamieson until 1940's and then by Council as a winch to slip vehicular ferries.

Model Sawmill

Working Model Sawmill

Working Model Sawmill
Creator:
Built by Dudley Timms
Description:
Typical model of NSW North Coast Steam Timber Mill
Date:
Represents early 1900's

Typical of former mill at settlement of Timmsvale. Model includes associated activities such as timber felling and a bullock team. Time to construct model - 350 hours.

Sculling Skiff

Single Racing Skiff, Seven Oaks II

Single Racing Skiff, Seven Oaks II
Creator:
Built by George Towns
Description:
Made from paper thin red cedar planks with beech frame-weighs 10 lbs, dimensions 26ft by 10 inches wide.
Date:
built 1923

Owner Tom Saul won lightweight sculling championship of Australia 1924 and Open Division NSW Sculling Championship 1924. Saul family donated Skiff and several trophies.

Photograph Collection

Angus McNeil Collection

Creator:
Angus McNeil, Photographer, Kempsey.
Description:
A large collection of Glass Negatives taken over 50 year period, depicting life in Kempsey and district, e.g. fashion, sport and leisure, transport, work and play. This collection is controlled by Austn Picture Library and a selection of glass negatives will be printed, when and if finance becomes available.
Date:
1898-1948

This collection creates much interest especially to family historians. Many negatives have a name etched into them and these are transcribed and a list produced for research purposes.

Linen and Lace Collection, with Bridal Ensemble

Bridal Ensemble

Creator:
Eliza (Wynter) Ducat
Description:
The ensemble is created in silk bengaline material to wear over a crinoline hoop, mostly hand sewn.
Date:
26.1.1864

The dress and mantle are fragile, so are displayed in several perpex covered drawers. Eliza Ducat was a skilled seamstress, who made all of her family clothes.