Organisations

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Bicycle Museum is situated within the Canberra Tradesmen's Union Club, which has been developed along the philosophy of a living museum and is characterised by its nostalgic charm and friendly atmosphere. The Museum features over 60 old and unusual bicycles on display at any time. Visitors can relax in the Club and have their photos taken on a Penny-farthing.620 bicycles. We collect maintain store and display items showing the technical and historical development of the cycle over the last 150 years. Bicycles, tricycles, tandems, four seaters, clothing, parts, journals and photos.
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
The archival collection of Royal College of Nursing, Australia is held in climate controlled facilities off site. Access to the material is by appointment. The collection consists of material relevant to the business and operations of Royal College of Nursing, Australia (RCNA). A small amount of personal material is held relating to personnel who were employees in senior positions or board members.The collection contains organisational business material such as board meeting agendas; minutes and meeting papers; reports; correspondence; photos; certificates and personal memorabilia donated...
The Polish Historical Institute in Australia aims to locate, collect, catalogue and preserve historical records such as the personal papers of Polish immigrants and Australians of polish descent plus the records of polish organisations in Australia. These records are deposited at the National Library of Australia and access to the collection is through the Manuscripts Reading Room.The Institute's collection comprises records of Polish organisations and papers of some Polish immigrants, including correspondence; minutes of meetings; newsletters and scrapbooks. The Institute has provided...
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
Built with convict labour in 1836-1840, Henry Kendall Cottage was once the home of pioneer poet Henry Kendall. One room contains some of his possessions. The remaining rooms are furnished as an old cottage. An historical museum displays a wide variety of artefacts (eg domestic items, musical instruments) A slab shed features displays on early industries and there is also a shed exhibiting farm implements.. Other features include a replica 2 seater pit toilet and a slab wash-house.
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
The Museum is housed in former Silverton Gaol (1889) and warden's residence and hospital room. Police Station and Gaol closed in 1943. The Broken Hill Historical Society opened a museum on the premises in 1968. There are now over 14 rooms of exhibits plus an outside area.Large photographic collection - local, community & mining archival records. Sporting photographic collection - old mining machinery, old household objects; early clothing, band memorabilia; lodges' regalia.
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The museum was built in 1872 of bricks made in Brewarrina. In June 1999 the museum will move down the street into the bowling club building, with tourism and information.Approx 1000 items and 400 photos. Items of local history are on display behind the courthouse once used as lock-up keeper's residence and connected to the rear of the courtroom.
The complex incorporates three interesting collections and some outdoor exhibits. The Lady Denman museum blends European, aboriginal and maritime history with thematic displays on such topics as European discovery, early settlement, shipbuilding, shipwrecks, lighthouses, timber-getting, the Naval College and whaling. The Surveyor's Gallery features a world class collection of surveying equipment and tools. The Museum of Jervis Bay, Science and the Sea displays maritime artefacts, including navigational equipment from the mid 1700s to the discovery of Jervis Bay, cutlasses, swords,...
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The museum's local history collection includes furniture, clothing, books, china, machinery and photos. These items are displayed in a bedroom, parlour and sewing room of a 1920s house and in an extension. Separate rooms have been devoted to materials from the Returned Service League and to the writer Miles Franklin. A large machinery shed holds agricultural equipment and large domestic machinery. School photos and memorabilia are also available.Collection covers items and information believed relevant to the history of Tumut and district. Textiles of the last century including articles worn...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
Volunteer organisation housed in historic bank building, locally heritage listed. The collection comprises items and memorabilia donated by the local community. All relate to the area's agricultural and dairying past and to Berry's origins as an estate town of Coolangatta Estate. There is a good collection of early twentieth century photographs (some original) taken locally; and records relating to local families are maintained. The building which houses the collection (rented from Council) is a former ESA bank building designed by nineteenth century architect William W Wardell. It...
A Beau Geste-style fortress structure houses this social history museum. Its emphasis is on military history, with exhibits ranging from a Japanese tank to miniature soldiers. The Museum also features a historic comics section, stamps, hundreds of cameras, rare musical instruments and other items of general and Australian historical interest.
Housed in a 1900s weatherboard school house, the Museum numbers over 4,000 items, representing the rural and coal fields heritage of the region. Its two classrooms still contain original fittings, such as desks and forms, blackboards, and wall maps to retain the character and function of the building. Items displayed range from buttons to pianos and organs. Rare and old books dating from the 1830s are a feature. The collection is typical of any country town, depicting the typical lifestyle of the region from the 1920s.4,000 items, 400 photographs, 100 postcards, 400 books

Pages