Seashells

The National Dinosaur Museum focuses on the Earth's Prehistoric past and interpretation of the fossil record. The museum is home to the largest display of dinosaur material in Australia and a recipient of an Australian Tourism Award for Significant Region Attraction in 1997. The display centres on life during the Mesozoic Era, 251 to 65 million years ago - when Dinosaurs ruled the Earth. As a supplement there are also exhibits depicting life both before and after that time; depicting the astonishing variety of prehistoric life on Earth. Major dinosaur groups, Australian dinosaurs, marine...
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
Museum is part of the Visitors Centre. Montague Island is 7km (5.7 Nautical Miles) off Narooma, and is the largest inshore island on the NSW coast. It is now a nature reserve under control of NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service and is home to the largest sea bird/penguin colonies also possibly the most northerly bull seal "haul out" site of the NSW coast. Montague Island was discovered by the convict transport ship "Surprise" in 1790 and named after George Montague Dunk, Earl of Halifax. Because of its location and importance to shipping, the Government of the day...
Yamba's museum display has often been described by visitors as the finest small historical collection on Australia's east coast. Sited close to the towns centre on a sealed road which leads to one of the area's most beautiful Pacific Ocean beaches, the museum is located in spacious grounds with ample off-street parking. Directly opposite in a well-maintained park is a fully restored 150 year flagstaff, which once controlled the entry and exit of all ships into the nearby Clarence River, the biggest single waterway on the East Coast. The flagstaff surrounds are the focal point fro many local...
Over the past three decades, the department of Biological Sciences has established an impressive teaching collection of zoological specimens and other objects. The Biological Sciences Museum is dedicated to the preservation and curation of this collection. Most exhibits are concerned with the unique Australian native flora and fauna. While these exhibits cover a wide range of topics, they always return to the common theme of evolution, biodiversity and conservation of Australian wildlife.The collection contains some 10, 000 objects. The collection looks at corals and shells, insects, reptiles...
The museum is situated in ten hectares of parkland and houses a vast display of mining era memorabilia: housing, dairy display, mining equipment etc. It also features a railway museum and a light horse museum. The winding engine operates under steam a minimum of four times a year.Over 4,000 items
The Taroom and District Historical Society has acquired various buildings including the old Church of St. Mary's (built 1893) which is now the main museum building, a blacksmith shop, boat house, hospital room, Reynolds Cottage and Jongh Tai Shue's shop. The buildings house a collection of old machinery used in the Taroom area, furniture, household items, tools, photographs and other artefacts. The museum organises the annual Leichhardt Festival in the museum grounds, between August and September.The collection illustrates elements of the social history of Taroom District and including life...
The Village features original 19th Century buildings and a War Museum with a collection of memorabilia. The Shell House contains one of the largest privately owned collections of shells in Australia. The Village was established to collect and preserve memorabilia, photographs, narratives and recollections of residents of the area.
The Museum of Tropical Queensland displays artefacts from the HMS Pandora, wrecked on the northern Great Barrier Reef in 1791 after capturing fourteen Bounty prisoners from Tahiti. It also houses a life-size replica of the Pandora bow. Other highlights are an interactive Science Centre, a brilliant selection of the world's best Coral collection from the Great Barrier Reef. Other major research collections are of marine mammals, dinosaur fossils and deep-sea animals from North Eastern Australia. Several displays in the museum focus on artefacts of indigenous people of the tropics, as well as...
A well presented display of the history of Bundaberg and district and its people. Sectionalised into agriculture, industry, commerce, home life, recreation and hobbies. Situated in a Botanic garden complex with a kiosk and other Museums nearby.Estimated 20,000 plus items and photographs. Articles related to everyday living of people of Bundaberg and District; Aboriginal and Islanders artefacts, shells, stuffed birds, files of written information, newspaper cuttings, communication and photographic history.
Our Chinchilla Museum has restored Pioneer cottage - fully furnished. Prickly Pear story from devastation to eradication. Traction steam engines, vintage motor vehicles, horse drawn vehicles, original Chinchilla state school, fully furnished - Two halls containing collection of Memorabilia of yesteryear: fully restored dairy and cream shed.Over 5,000 items on display, including farm machinery, horse drawn vehicles, well appointed library housing history of Chinchilla and its pioneers. First Chinchilla school (1883) on grounds containing early school memorabilia.
The Cooktown Museum is a museum of maritime history with a focus on Cape York/Torres Strait Islands and the surrounding regions. The museum's collection is a tribute to seafaring men who brought civilisation to the Far North. The pioneering history, the gold rush, early cyclones, early discovery, shipping and Chinese migration are just some of the themes depicted in the museum's collection.The collection consists of over 300 photographs and newspaper cuttings; 600 marine specimens including a shell collection; 11 model ships; 5 anchors; 2 gold skips; 8 canoes and other maritime memorabilia.
The Proserpine Historical Museum is the only Cultural Heritage Learning Facility in the region. Museums are now recognised as part of the growing Tourism Market. This Museum is situated on the Bruce Highway, offers one of the few all-weather tourist attractions on the mainland for the entire family. The Proserpine Historical Museum offers a large and well-designed foyer for the benefit of local Artists and Craftspeople to show their works - free of charge for short-term exhibitions. Artists were consulted during the planning stage and their needs in terms of lighting and hanging systems were...
The entrance to this museum is via a five metre high big shell, representing the special nature of the museum. Inside is a wide variety of (mainly Australian) shells displayed in cabinets. There are other interesting specimens from the sea, including huge giant clams, turtle carapaces, king crabs, whale bones and a variety of corals. Also some fascinating rock samples, including a large piece of petrified wood. The shell theme is emphasised by the shop's main stock of shells for sale, but many other items, such as souvenirs of coloured sand, local crafts, and leather hats, belts etc. (...
Built in the 1890's Carbethon was moved from Haden to Crow's Nest and opened as a folk museum in 1979. Historic house 'Carbethon' is the centrepiece, featuring local history and agricultural items and situated in a pioneer village of fifteen buildings. Buildings in the complex include a working printery, wireless shop, butcher's shop, blacksmith's shop, machinery shed, photographer's studio, church, slab huts, and a one teacher replica school. Other displays include Aboriginal artefacts, a native beehive and an Aboriginal honey tree.Items and history of lifestyle from early settlement (1870'...
The Museum was established in a Pioneer house by the owner, Ms Olive Wieland, as a children's project in 1990. A Morning Star Chapel was begun for children 12 years ago. The Museum complements the Chapel, which is in the front room of the house. It contains an antique organ, table and chair and pews. The Museum includes a range of shells, pictures, wood specimens, household items and many items used on farms from the 1920s and earlier.Original farm implements, Horse drawn plow and other horse drawn farming equipment.
Social history displays of items of cultural and historic interest in a building of historic significance (former School of Arts - National Trust listed). Specialising in photographic displays with large collection of originals and copies. Also needlework and lace artefacts.3500 photographs and continually growing - predominantly on the Maryborough Burnett region, 3000 books, hundreds of files. Wedding gowns 1890-1910.
The museum is located in the former Sisters of Mercy convent erected in 1887-1889. Following restoration by the National Trust, the James Cook Museum was opened in 1970. A $2.3 million Commonwealth Federation Fund grant in 2001 has enabled a rear Gallery extension to be added and the interior displays updated.The new Endeavour Gallery contains the original anchor and cannon from Captain Cook's ship "Endeavour", plus detailed items relating to Cook's extended stay in Cooktown in 1770.The museum also contains other items from Cooktown's early history.Photographic collection of...

Pages