Taroom and District Museum

The Taroom and District Historical Society has acquired various buildings including the old Church of St. Mary's (built 1893) which is now the main museum building, a blacksmith shop, boat house, hospital room, Reynolds Cottage and Jongh Tai Shue's shop. The buildings house a collection of old machinery used in the Taroom area, furniture, household items, tools, photographs and other artefacts. The museum organises the annual Leichhardt Festival in the museum grounds, between August and September.

Address: 
Kelman St, Taroom, QLD
Tel: 
0746273158
Hours: 
Monday and Fridays 9.00am - 3.00pm, or by appointment
Admission: 
Adults $4
Facilities: 
Toilets nearby, guided tours by appointment
Collection: 
The collection illustrates elements of the social history of Taroom District and including life on cattle stations and in the town.
Share

Items

Convict leg irons

Description:
Leg irons with convict broad arrow markings and chains and locks in working condition.
Date:
1840-50?

Unable to ascertain how the museum acquired the irons. It is possible they came from convict labourers who worked on the Flagstone Rd (this road goes off to the left of the Leichhardt Highway about 25kms North of Taroom) which was part of the old Rockhampton to Roma road.

Side Saddle

Description:
Saddle - dark reddish leather with black underlay and side pockets, blue felt padding underneath saddle.
Date:
C1900

Saddle was given to Alice Elizabeth Tansy (nee Becker) by her father Thomas Becker of Stoneycroft Station, Taroom, on her 11th birthday - 27th of January, 1900 - she also received a bridle breast plate and a brown horse called "Bernie". The saddle was given to the museum by Alice's sister in law, Mitie Becker

Stations of the Cross

Description:
Wooden frames, glass and wooden cross on top of each picture. Approx. 30x45cms in size

Installed in original Roman Catholic Church, built in 1893 in Martin St Taroom. Church has been moved twice . First by Bullock Dray to Bonner's Nob at top of Kelman Street and then b trucks to lower Kelman Street in the early 1970s. Taroom Historical Society is actually housed in St Marys Catholic Church.

Clock

Wall Clock

Creator:
Smiths: Great Britain
Description:
Round in shape, thick wooden frame, glass face
Date:
C1870

Was school clock in the original Taroom State School which opened in 1871 (Taroom Historical Museum is built on the site of the original State School and the Principal's house was the museum caretakers cottage until it burned down in 1994). The school clock was on its way to the local dump when rescued and eventually given to the museum.

Sewing Machine

Treadle Machine

Creator:
Singer
Description:
Foot-operated treadle machine with long bobbin, wooden casing.
Date:
C1865

Belonged to Mary Jane Rose of "The Brae", Taroom - Grandmother of Patsy Poole who was given the machine in 1955 at the time of her marriage, donated it to the museum in the 1980's.