Mount Morgan Historical Museum Inc

Mount Morgan Historical Museum Inc

The collection is housed in a large, vinyl-clad building, erected in 1895 is of good appearance. The floor area is partitioned off into alcoves, each displaying memorabilia of a similar nature eg. Mining alcoves, Kitchen alcove etc. Further memorabilia is housed in the museum yard. There is ample parking adjacent to museum.

Address: 
87 Morgan Street, Mount Morgan, QLD
Tel: 
0749382122
Hours: 
10am-1pm Mon to Sat, 10am-4pm Sun. Closed Christmas Day. By appointment outside of opening hours.
Admission: 
Adults $4, Children 5-15years 50cents, Pensioners $2.
Images
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access (not to toilets), Brochures, History Booklet, Adjacent Parking, Guided tour if required, Information, Padded Seats (7) provided in foyer.
Collection: 
Over 1,000 photographs, mostly mining; over 700 objects, many mining items. Our Collection consists of numerous photographs (with a brief history of the image) objects and manuscripts which depict the history of the mine and town from the start of mining in 1882. The objects within our collection are of significance to our local community. The collection is considered to be one of the best outside the Capital City.
Share

Items

Motor Vehicle

Hearse-Buick

Creator:
General Motors Corporation
Description:
1921 Buick, Hearse Body, Two Seater Cabin, Registered until July 1960 - Reg. Plate No. Q8 - 597, painted black, split rims.
Date:
1921
Item Id Number:
752

Owned by the local undertaker who later had a grill added. Eventually replaced with a later model vehicle in 1960.

Balance

Balance

Creator:
W & T Alvery, Birmingham
Description:
Large Brass Balance, 107 cm beam support, 77 cm beam, 2 pans, each 39cm diameter, attached to beam by 3 chains, each 70cm in length. Balance weighs to 400ozs (troy) - in glass case - brass weights.
Date:
C1886
Item Id Number:
1768

the Balance was owned by the Nount Morgan Gold Mining Co. (1886-1927). Then by Mount Morgan Ltd. The Balance was used to weigh the Gold Bullion produced by the mines gold recovery plants from 1886-1912. Mount Morgan presented the balance to our museum.

Ore Specimens

Ore Specimens

Creator:
Nature
Description:
Gossan (oxidised) and Sulphide (pyritic) ore specimens from the Mount Morgan ore body. Specimen size approx. 25cms.

The 'Oxidised Outcrop' of the Mount morgan Ore body contained 'gold' only. The 'pyritic zone' of the ore body beneath the Gossan conatined copper and silver as well as gold. The Ore body was exhausted by the end of 1981 so these ore specimens cannot be replaced.

Hooter

Hooter

Creator:
Mount Morgan Goldmining Co. (1886-1927) made in 1919
Description:
Steam operated: Consists of two spearate cylinders. The larger is 46cms high and 23cms in diameter. The smaller, set behind the larger is 31 cms in height and 14cm in diameter. The cylinders are made of bell metal 80% copper and 20% tin.
Date:
1919
Item Id Number:
259

The Steam operated hooter was designed by the engineering staff of the Mount Morgan Golding Co. Ltd and cast in the company's foundry in 1919. It operated at 175lbs per square inch and was connected to a boiler in the company's Power House. The history of the hooter is attached.

Bar of Copper

Blister Copper Bar

Creator:
Mount Morgan Ltd.
Description:
Copper Bar - 93cms x 105cms x 14cms diameter. Blisted surface. Five (5), 13mm. Sample holes through bar. Known as Blister Copper.
Date:
7-7-1984

It is the last bar of Copper produced by Mount Morgan Ltd. Smelter and was poured on the 7-7 1984. The Molten copper was poured into moulds. On cooling, gasses escape, giving the surface a blistered appearance. Hence the name "blister copper". Bar weighs 634.5 kg - contains 99.5% copper.