Mines and Mining

The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
Situated in the historic village of Carcoar and housed in the former Commercial Bank building (1876), the museum shows the history of firearms from the matchlock to modern weapons. The English gunmaker of the percussion and early cartridge eras, William Tranter, is given a special prominence. Another display shows the extent of bushranging activities in the local area. Many of the Museum's mining and early hand tool relics are on loan to the local historical society.Approximately 200 firearms, cartridge collection, mining and tool collections
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
Society of 40 persons dedicated to restoration of 1860's Hargraves Courthouse complex. Large triple solid brick courthouse and living quarters, semi attached via enclosed walkway, vertical iron bark slab kitchen (now fully restored), detached vertical slab laundry and large separate horizontal slab stables building. An 1860's public toilet is expected to be operational later in 2002. Hargraves is the site of the first underground gold mine in Australia, founded 1854.In addition to the buildings described above, the society has amassed a large collection of old photographs depicting the...
The entry to the Lachlan Historical Village is the Trigilana Wool Shed. After crossing a suspension bridge, visitors can view the fifty five buildings which comprise the village, including stores, authentic homesteads, a bank, a school, the gaol and a gold mining area. Special features include Henry Lawson's childhood home, the home of bushranger Ben Hall and a medical hall with a collection of over 2,000 apothecary items.20,000 items, 500 photographs
The house, built from local sandstone in 1842 for Thomas Brown, the man who first established the coal industry in Lithgow, stands in a hectare of beautiful lawns and gardens. The four front rooms have been preserved much as they were in Thomas Brown's day, and contain some beautiful early Victorian furniture. Also displayed are many fine exhibits of the early history of the district, a feature being an excellent display of Lithgow pottery and artefacts from the pottery works. The covered courtyard at the rear is used as a museum and exhibits include a Hansom cab and a Pennyfarthing...
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The Museum collection is housed in a building of local stone, listed on the Register of National Estate and comprising a schoolmaster's residence and attached schoolroom (c.1873). The display highlights the history of the Merimbula-Pambula area & identifies some well known local individuals, such as Syms Covington assistant to Charles Darwin, William Mckell who was later Governor General of Australia.500 items plus estimated 600 photographs. Photographic displays, artefacts and business records relating to early local industries and families e.g. The Maizena factory and the Munn family,...
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
The Museum is housed in former Silverton Gaol (1889) and warden's residence and hospital room. Police Station and Gaol closed in 1943. The Broken Hill Historical Society opened a museum on the premises in 1968. There are now over 14 rooms of exhibits plus an outside area.Large photographic collection - local, community & mining archival records. Sporting photographic collection - old mining machinery, old household objects; early clothing, band memorabilia; lodges' regalia.
The Museum is housed in the former Wollombi Court House (1866). The exhibits are of a wide variety and reflect everyday life in the area. There are item relating for farming and mining as well as many household items. A major part of the collection is devoted to clothing. Another feature is the Wyndham collection, which consists of books, clothing, china, postcards, photos and furniture donated by the Wyndham family. The rear of the building has two cells used to house prisoners. The judges bench houses a growing photographic collection of the life and time of the area. Restored in 1954...
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The museum is in a granite 2 storeyed building - the Royal Hotel 1845. It was owned by surveyor James Larmer who accompnied Mitchell on exploration trips and surveyed all the South East of the colony. The building was bought by Grand United Order of Oddfellows in 1882 and two large halls were added for meetings and balls. It is situated in the main street of Braidwood, a National Trust town. There is a speaker or excursion each month, an annual dinner in June.2100 artefacts, 900 photographs are of local origin. A unique attraction is the Nomchong collection. This family were traders in the...
McCrossin's Mill Museum and function centre is owned and operated by volunteers of Uralla Historical Society. The superbly restored three-storey flour mill houses many exhibitions, each with a distinctive, sometimes even humorous flavour. Visitors are astonished to find such a "Professional" set up in the quaint village of Uralla. Population 2,500. They also love the mill's beautifully maintained gardens, and the "Death of Thunderbolt" Painting series.Major features: Chinese Artefacts, "Death of Thunderbolt paintings", Thunderbolt Exhibition, Corporal Cecil...
Established in 1872, this is the oldest operating foundry in Australia. It is famous for its production of iron lace, ornamental and other castings. It also has an extensive collection of cedar patterns and early blacksmiths' and founders' tools. The entire foundry is in original working condition and is a fascinating industrial relic.Industrial Design, metalwork, woodwork, archaeology and antiquities, archives, cultural heritage, domestic items and technology, education and schools, images, local history, professions and trades, rural life, social history, engineering, horse-drawn...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.

The museum exhibits relate to the town of Murrurundi and the surrounding district. In addition to the exhibits, files are made up of many aspects of the lifestyle and achievements of those who have lived there since 1840 when the town of Murrurundi was first laid out. The twin town of Haydonton was laid out in 1841-42 by Thomas Haydon and was a private town. Files of many families are featured. The Fishburn Room contains a splendid model of HMS Endeavour which was built by Thomas Fishburn and acquired by Captain Cook who refitted it before sailing in it on his voyage of discovery.1500...

General local history of the Bathurst region is featured in this collection of the Historical Society. Archives and photographs are included.1360 collection items.
Housed in a 1900s weatherboard school house, the Museum numbers over 4,000 items, representing the rural and coal fields heritage of the region. Its two classrooms still contain original fittings, such as desks and forms, blackboards, and wall maps to retain the character and function of the building. Items displayed range from buttons to pianos and organs. Rare and old books dating from the 1830s are a feature. The collection is typical of any country town, depicting the typical lifestyle of the region from the 1920s.4,000 items, 400 photographs, 100 postcards, 400 books
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.

Pages