Local History

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Schoolhouse was built in the early 1840s and operated continuously until 1880 and from 1895 to 1907. The Museum consists of the original schoolroom and five other rooms used as a home for the school Master and his family. In addition to the furnishings and artefacts of the school and the schoolhouse, the Museum has a collection of photographs on display of Canberra in the 19th and early 20th centuries and a collection of objects relating to the history of St John's Church and other churches of the district.approximately 600 items including up to 200 photographs.
Built in 1927, this magnificent heritage building was the seat of political power for more than sixty years. Today, you can relive the dramatic stories behind the rise and fall of governments through an ever-changing program of events, tours, exhibitions and workshops. Take a fascinating guided tour or wander the corridors solo to discover the architectural detail of Kings Hall, the Prime Ministers Suite and the Chambers. Old Parliament House is also home to Australia's National Portrait Gallery, which celebrates the achievements of the people who have helped to shape Australia and...
A vibrant place in the heart of the city, Canberra Museum and Gallery (CMAG) celebrates the region's social history and visual arts with dynamic exhibitions and unique community programs and events. Working in partnership with the community to celebrate our rich and diverse cultural heritage, CMAG also features the permanent exhibition, 'Reflecting Canberra'.Collection has only been developing since 1996 (therefore it is small). Visual arts and social history of Canberra and region in particular, local history and that which explores nexus between local and national. Australians often forget...
Blundell's Cottage was built in 1860 to accommodate skilled workers on the Duntroon Estate. It remains the only such building in the Parliamentry Triangle. Furnished to depict turn-of-the-century rural life, the cottage provides an intriguing contrast to modern Canberra. Visitors gain an insight into the Limestone Plains before it was chosen as the site for the National Capital. Education program designed for ages 8 to 11.The cottage collection comprises less than 700 objects, the majority of which are on display. The focus is domestic and rural equipment from the period 1890-1910.
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
The Polish Historical Institute in Australia aims to locate, collect, catalogue and preserve historical records such as the personal papers of Polish immigrants and Australians of polish descent plus the records of polish organisations in Australia. These records are deposited at the National Library of Australia and access to the collection is through the Manuscripts Reading Room.The Institute's collection comprises records of Polish organisations and papers of some Polish immigrants, including correspondence; minutes of meetings; newsletters and scrapbooks. The Institute has provided...
A 1901 Federation style house and attached annexe, furnished in pre-1900 period. The annexe houses the Society's local and family history section. This includes photographs, a local library and all Grafton newspapers since 1859. The collection also includes local artefacts, memorabilia and documentation of early Grafton.Estimated 5,000 items and 10,000 photographs, plus 800 local history reference books in the library
New South Wales' leading non-metropolitan museum is housed in a converted brewery building, built in 1876. We provide permanent exhibitions on local themes (First World War, the 1989 earthquake, sport and Aboriginal people of the Hunter) together with a busy and varied touring exhibition schedule. During school holidays we often provide regular science shows on varying themes. Guided tours of the exhibits can be booked through the Museum Education Department.The collections concentrate on, but are not exclusively centred around, local, natural, social, domestic or industrial material and are...
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...
The museum complex is made up of a cottage built by the first Mayor of Tamworth in 1875 adjacent to a vertical slab shepherd's hut (ca1845), both on their original sites. The Mayor was Philip Gidley King, superintendent of the Peel River Land and Mineral Company (also at times known as the Australian Agricultural Co). King was the great grandson of the third Governor of New South Wales of the same name. Both buildings have been restored and conserved and furnished circa 1890s. They display memorabilia and bric-a-brac of historical interest in a garden setting.4,000 items

The village of Carcoar was founded circa 1836 and remains almost completely intact, untouched by the twentieth century. The Carcoar Historical Society are trustees for the Court House (built 1882). They also operate guided tours of the village and run Stoke Stable Museum which houses artefacts from the local area including a collection of horse-drawn vehicles. The Society also conducts local family history research.

Closed in 1969 as an official teaching establishment, the 1908 weatherboard teacher's residence and one-teacher schoolhouse set in 10 acres of recreation grounds, were restored as a Bicentennial project and the museum was subsequently opened in November 1988. The school site was originally established in 1869. The present school, the second to be built on the site, is fully functional and seats 30 plus primary school age children. Pens, ink, project sheets and teachers' aids are available for use. The school houses a large collection of early kindergarten and primary school text books and...
The museum, which is 100 years old, is weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof. The collection includes the MacCarthur Cloak (c1816), a world wide shell collection, 1000 years of monarchy, snow shoe and wooden skis from Scott's expedition, a pictorial history of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, historic clothing and a Telstra display.Old house full of local history. Farming machinery, war memorabilia, photographs, shells.
Gledswood Farm Museum is an attraction of Gledswood Homestead, itself a tourist destination and heritage attraction. The museum is located in the granary of the coach house.422 artefacts, 196 photographs
Camden Historical Society was formed in 1957. It concentrates on the history of the town of Camden and the surrounding district. It developed, and runs, the Camden Historical Museum. The Society publishes a journal and monographs, hold monthly meetings and provides guides to groups visiting the district. It holds an extensive archival collection whch is available to those wishing to undertake research. Membership is about 150; there are no paid staff.The Museum is divided broadly into three parts. The first covers Aboriginal prehistory, early exploration, land grants, the establishment of the...
The Ballina Branch of the Richmond-Tweed Regional Library holds a collection of items based on the history of Ballina and surrounding districts. It consists of photographs, maps, newspapers, books and ephemeral items such as programs, invitations and leaflets.400 books, 300 photographs, ephemera, maps, newspapers
Designed by world renowned Australian architect Glen Murcutt, the building in which this museum is housed is considered to be the first Australian building. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early time of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.Approximately 10,000 items. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from...
Nimbin Museum is a journey through eight rooms in chronological order (Aboriginal, pioneer, and hippy eras) as the visitor follows the rainbow serpent path. One of the strengths of the collection is "hippypernalia". Nimbin is a holy town and this trip is sacred!7,000 items and numerous inbuilt artistic works
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...

Pages