Ardrossan Historical Museum

The museum is part of the Smith Plough Factory and was the power house that drove the engineering machinery. The collection contains various types of farm machinery that was manufactured here along with the Stump Jump Ploughs for which the factory was famous. Part of the extensive collection of original machine plans are on displayas well as photos of machines, share certificates, Clarence H. Smith's apprenticeship indenture, and items associated with the factory and other memorabilia. A room has been set aside to house relics from the Barque 'Lanoni' which sank off Ardrossan in 1867 with a cargo of grain bound for England. This was her maiden voyage and there were no lives lost. It was 117 years later that the wreck was discovered. Items on display include ship's bell, crockery, cutlery, brass fittings and many other items of interest, all well preserved after 117 years under the sea.

Address: 
9 Fifth Street, Ardrossan, SA
Tel: 
0888373213
Hours: 
Sunday & public holidays 2:30pm - 4:30pm.
Admission: 
Adults $1.50, Children 50c
Facilities: 
Access for the disabled, toilets
Collection: 
Approximately 500 items
Share

Items

Stump jump plough

Creator:
Clarence H. Smith
Description:
Stump jump plough, with a picture of Clarence Smith in background.
Date:
1880 - 1935

Machinery plans

Creator:
Clarence H. Smith
Description:
Plans of agricultural machines built in the factory.
Date:
1880 - 1935

Seed and super box

Creator:
Clarence H. Smith
Description:
Seed and super box invented and built in factory to be mounted on front of ploughs.
Date:
1899 - 1914