Craft

Pioneer Cottage is a house museum, built in c.1880 of local cedar and beech by the pioneer John Kerle Burnett. Structurally unaltered, the rooms and furnishings are arranged as used by the Burnetts. On display are many household items that were in everyday use. The Burnett family lived in the cottage for more than seventy years. The displays reflect their early lifestyle and the living alterations they made as times changed. The Sibyl Vise Museum Room provides visitors with the opportunity to browse through photographs and read about the history of Buderim. At the rear of the cottage a slab...
The museum is situated in ten hectares of parkland and houses a vast display of mining era memorabilia: housing, dairy display, mining equipment etc. It also features a railway museum and a light horse museum. The winding engine operates under steam a minimum of four times a year.Over 4,000 items
The building was built in 1888. The collection features old vintage vehicles, household furniture, tools and other domestic artefacts illustrating life in the Charleville district.Estimate 600 items
The Museum consists of an old head teacher's residence transported to the site; a railway station building similar to the old Samford railway station; a hand-cut weather-board cream shed transported from a farm to the site; an old slab kitchen donated to the Museum and re-constructed in the grounds; laundry attached to kitchen and a machinery shed partly built with old slabs and original old cow bails. Each building displays relevant furniture, utensils, tools and goods donated by local residents. On permanent loan from the Queensland Museum is the diorama of the Samford Aboriginal Bora...
The complex is a pioneer village and museum. It comprises eleven weatherboard buildings in original condition: a museum hall (3 buildings); Acutt House - 1930 original home; 1910 ex Methodist Church and Church Vestry; a blacksmith shop; Dairy and three sheds of agricultural and manufacturing machinery including special "sugar cane" collection; and Goodwood Railway Station with rails and small goods carriage used for servicing oil tankers from the "Pier". The buildings are furnished with historical items, including significant collections of agricultural machinery, tools, appliances,...
The Treasures of the Earth is where you see wonders beyond your imagination. Sixty years of effort have produced a mind boggling display of minerals and items made from them representing very different treasures out of the earth and outer space. Recommended for the person who has imagination, is mentally alert, admires great beauty and appreciates wonders. For all ages and depths of knowledge.125 show cases
Cottage crafts, pottery, fibre making, education and schools, historic homes and rural buildings, local history, community groups ie. Riding for disabled, rural farm, steam machinery, rainforest walk.The park comprises an historical village of many acres, including restored and replica buildings of the Shire, steam and fire museums, potters, blacksmiths, rural farm, bush poetry, Sunday Markets, Australian education experience for students and accommodation for 100.
The Society maintains a local and family history collection of research material (photographs, articles, books, newspaper cuttings and artefacts) housed in the former Borough Chambers in North Rockhampton. A guest speaker features at monthly meetings, held the first Sunday of each Month at 2pm (except January)
The North Queensland Potters Association is a voluntary organisation whose aim is to promote pottery in North Queensland and the surrounding region. It runs seminars and workshops throughout the year and the Townsville Ceramic Competition every other year. Facilities include wheels, kilns, workshop area, library and permanent collection of Australian Pottery.85 items of pottery dating from 19th century to the present with additions regularly being purchased from the ceramic competition and selected artists.
In 1994 the Torres Strait Museum displays were transferred from the old Masonic Lodge on John Street to the underground section of historic Green Hill Fort. The Fort was originally intended as a first line of defence for Australia against sea invasions in the 1855 war and World War II. Rooms of the Fort have been dedicated to different themes of display. The Cordite Store houses the Wanetta Collection - a collection of gifts, souvenirs and collectables put together by Mr Reg Hockings Snr. earlier this century. The defence display is being developed in the Powder Magazine. The Lamp Room...
Fassifern District Historical Society oversees Templin Historical Village which consists of a country church, a store, house/office, school, dairy, slab hut and other museum buildings grouped around a central green to recreate a village atmosphere. The museum also has a collection of historical items and photographs.Estimated 10,000 items plus 5,000 photos
The Roma Bungil Cultural Community Centre is a modern, multifunctional complex built by the Roma Town and Bungil Shire Councils. A major feature situated in the foyer is an impressive three-dimensional clay mural, which was created by local artists. It depicts the history and development of Roma and district. Also in the foyer is a rock display and a mini gas rig model. An arts/craft room provides a large carpeted display area featuring a hanging patchwork quilt, photographs and history of Roma. The Centre also houses the administration offices of the Council and Library, an auditorium...
The Morven Historical Museum is housed in three buildings. A slab hut is used for machinery and hardware and such larger articles as an old manual wool press and stores a miscellaneous collection of old books and photographs, and local artefacts. The second building features a unique collection of finally crafted miniature buildings that were to be found in Morven in the early 1900's. Displayed in the third building is the Davey Packman working steam engine. These buildings are typical of many early Australian settlements and together depict the social history of Morven in this bygone era....
The Cooktown Museum is a museum of maritime history with a focus on Cape York/Torres Strait Islands and the surrounding regions. The museum's collection is a tribute to seafaring men who brought civilisation to the Far North. The pioneering history, the gold rush, early cyclones, early discovery, shipping and Chinese migration are just some of the themes depicted in the museum's collection.The collection consists of over 300 photographs and newspaper cuttings; 600 marine specimens including a shell collection; 11 model ships; 5 anchors; 2 gold skips; 8 canoes and other maritime memorabilia.
Greycliffe is a wooden slab-construction 6-room homestead, originally constructed in the 1870s. This building is the main focus of the historical society's activities, as it houses a collection of furniture, utensils, photographs, documents and machinery that pertain to the history of the Callide Valley. Tours of Greycliffe are available by appointment. As well as the homestead, there is a blacksmith shop, and a shed housing the bullock dray, tip dray etc.Approximately 150-200 items (including photographs)
The entrance to this museum is via a five metre high big shell, representing the special nature of the museum. Inside is a wide variety of (mainly Australian) shells displayed in cabinets. There are other interesting specimens from the sea, including huge giant clams, turtle carapaces, king crabs, whale bones and a variety of corals. Also some fascinating rock samples, including a large piece of petrified wood. The shell theme is emphasised by the shop's main stock of shells for sale, but many other items, such as souvenirs of coloured sand, local crafts, and leather hats, belts etc. (...
Built in the 1890's Carbethon was moved from Haden to Crow's Nest and opened as a folk museum in 1979. Historic house 'Carbethon' is the centrepiece, featuring local history and agricultural items and situated in a pioneer village of fifteen buildings. Buildings in the complex include a working printery, wireless shop, butcher's shop, blacksmith's shop, machinery shed, photographer's studio, church, slab huts, and a one teacher replica school. Other displays include Aboriginal artefacts, a native beehive and an Aboriginal honey tree.Items and history of lifestyle from early settlement (1870'...
The museum comprises a museum building, cottage, lock-up and an extensive display of outside machinery.200 items of outside machinery
Innisfail museum is housed in the old School of Arts building and occupies two rooms. The collection relates to local history and contains items from all facets of life from the early settlement of Geraldton (name later changed to Innisfail after confusion with Geraldton in Western Australia). Items include personal possessions; rural, recreational, medical, biological, Aboriginal and Chinese artefacts; and a number of early photographs showing cyclone and flood damage, local industries and life in a tropical town.Approximately 2,500 objects and 1,500 photographs
'Miegunyah' (1886) is a colonial home built when the local tradition was at its most ornate and opulent. It functions as a House Museum and headquarters of the Queensland Women's Historical Association. It is set in a tranquil leafy garden in historic Bowen Hills. The Association's comprehensive collection of personal and household items not only interprets this lifestyle but also enables regular changing exhibitions on wide ranging subjects. The building itself encapsules the late 19th century middle class Brisbane lifestyle. Within its collection it holds major items of memorabilia from Sir...

Pages