Decorative Arts

The Society was formed in 1963 and since 1968 has opeated a museum in the former School of Arts building, which is heritage-listed. The purpose of the Museum is the collecting, preserving and interpreting of local heritage for everyone. The Society aims to promote local history, including family history and the Museum collection, to the local community and the general public.Dungog Museum has a wide range of items representing local and family history. The collection reflects the area's rural history, including dairying and the timber industry, and local manufacturing including items from...
Eryldene is a charming house and garden situated in the heart of Ku-ring-gai on Sydney's North Shore. The Georgian Revival style house was designed by distinguished Australian Architect William Hardy Wilson in 1913 for Professor E.G. Waterhouse and his wife Janet and named after her family home in Kilmarnock, Scotland. Both the house and the garden are protected by a permanent conservation order issued by the NSW Heritage Council in 1979. It is recognised as the finest example of Hardy Wilson's work.

Prof. Waterhouse, a world authority on camellias, designed the unique garden...
This museum is part Holy Trinity, Garrison Church the first military settlement with maps. The military section shows memorabilia from Boer War to Gulf War inclusive.Sydney's early history photos of people and places. Inclusive is first Prime Minister who attended this hall when it was a Parish School, as well as Cedric Immanuel prints, paintings of Rocks, maps of early Sydney, medal, WW2 uniforms, etc.

Riversdale, built about 1840 as a coaching inn and residence is a fine example of a single-storey Colonial Georgian cottage set in flowering gardens. The property was purchased in 1875 by Edward Twynam, later to become Surveyor General of NSW and remained in this family until acquired by the Trust in 1967.Riversdale is renowned for its collection of fine Australian Colonial furniture, arts and craft dating from the late nineteenth century and the delightful garden.

The Museum is housed in one of Katoomba's historic sandstone residences. Situated half a kilometre from Echo Point, The Three Sisters and The Scenic Railway, the Museum is on all mountain scenic bus routes.The Museum's collection of purses and handbags dates from 1650 to the late 1900s and shows examples of fashion excesses and trends. There are over 400 items in the collection demonstrating many craft techniques such as beadwork, crochet and embroidery.
The Powerhouse Museum Research Library collection, services and staff expertise provide a rich research resource for museum staff, library visitors and colleagues in the cultural sector. The Research Library collection dates from the establishment of the museum in 1880. The collection is diverse and reflects the changing research requirements from the past and anticipates future research needs. The library collects to support exhibition development, publication production, education programmes, museology and corporate information needs.The research Library collection reflects the interests...
The Society maintains a local and family history collection of research material (photographs, articles, books, newspaper cuttings and artefacts) housed in the former Borough Chambers in North Rockhampton. A guest speaker features at monthly meetings, held the first Sunday of each Month at 2pm (except January)
Fassifern District Historical Society oversees Templin Historical Village which consists of a country church, a store, house/office, school, dairy, slab hut and other museum buildings grouped around a central green to recreate a village atmosphere. The museum also has a collection of historical items and photographs.Estimated 10,000 items plus 5,000 photos
The Roma Bungil Cultural Community Centre is a modern, multifunctional complex built by the Roma Town and Bungil Shire Councils. A major feature situated in the foyer is an impressive three-dimensional clay mural, which was created by local artists. It depicts the history and development of Roma and district. Also in the foyer is a rock display and a mini gas rig model. An arts/craft room provides a large carpeted display area featuring a hanging patchwork quilt, photographs and history of Roma. The Centre also houses the administration offices of the Council and Library, an auditorium...
The Cooktown Museum is a museum of maritime history with a focus on Cape York/Torres Strait Islands and the surrounding regions. The museum's collection is a tribute to seafaring men who brought civilisation to the Far North. The pioneering history, the gold rush, early cyclones, early discovery, shipping and Chinese migration are just some of the themes depicted in the museum's collection.The collection consists of over 300 photographs and newspaper cuttings; 600 marine specimens including a shell collection; 11 model ships; 5 anchors; 2 gold skips; 8 canoes and other maritime memorabilia.
Built in the 1890's Carbethon was moved from Haden to Crow's Nest and opened as a folk museum in 1979. Historic house 'Carbethon' is the centrepiece, featuring local history and agricultural items and situated in a pioneer village of fifteen buildings. Buildings in the complex include a working printery, wireless shop, butcher's shop, blacksmith's shop, machinery shed, photographer's studio, church, slab huts, and a one teacher replica school. Other displays include Aboriginal artefacts, a native beehive and an Aboriginal honey tree.Items and history of lifestyle from early settlement (1870'...
The Museum is derived from Britain's first social history museum. It was founded in 1934 in England and was brought to Australia after World War II. After nearly 40 years of storage, it now occupies a new building opened in 1986 near Bribie Island, 40 kilometres North of Brisbane. A fine arts and archaeology museum, the museum's collections cover the history of humankind over the last 500,000 years with original artefacts from Europe, Asia, America and Africa and limited collections from Australia. They include works of art, ceramics, glass, metalwork, textiles, sculpture and paper. Each year...
The collection was established in 1945. It comprises almost 1400 works, including paintings, sculptures, decorative arts and works on paper. The collecting focus centres primarily on contemporary Australian visual art and craft. Collection strengths include contemporary prints post - 1960 and ceramics post - 1970; contemporary Queensland art; and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art. Small thematic exhibitions drawn from the Collection are held regularly on campus. Large scale touring exhibitions are organised for showing at metropolitan and regional venues. 'Selected Australian...
Housed in a new purpose-built facility, the Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery houses three historical collections and a collection of contemporary Australian works from the 1900s. The historical collections comprise Australian art from 1860-1900s. Australian rare books, maps, documents and manuscripts from the 1600s; and European and Asian decorative arts, furniture, paintings etc from the 1600s. The Gallery also features temporary exhibitions and monthly displays by local artists.Approximately 2,900 items
Located in the main street adjacent to closed ANZ Bank, Café and B&B, the museum is housed in five buildings which contain a varied collection of items and memorabilia depicting life and activities from the surrounding shire area. The main building contains a reconstructed general store and barber shop, and rooms have been outfitted with furniture depicting a parlour and bedroom from the 1920s. A slab shed, built with materials from local properties, holds mining and agricultural equipment. Many exhibits depict rural life from earlier times, including examples of fencing, a horse works...
Cairns Regional Gallery is Far North Queensland’s only visual art museum and in 2005 it celebrates it’s 10th Birthday: a decade of documenting and presenting history, heritage and contemporary culture of this vast and distinctive region of Australia and the world through the visual arts, craft and design.

Housed in a refurbished heritage building in central Cairns, the Gallery incorporates four individual exhibition spaces inside the building, showcasing an average of 30 exhibitions per year, and featuring the work of national and international artists, with a strong focus on local...
Social history displays of items of cultural and historic interest in a building of historic significance (former School of Arts - National Trust listed). Specialising in photographic displays with large collection of originals and copies. Also needlework and lace artefacts.3500 photographs and continually growing - predominantly on the Maryborough Burnett region, 3000 books, hundreds of files. Wedding gowns 1890-1910.
The Royal Bull’s Head Inn was built in 1847. The present building is the extension built in 1859. The timber and brick nog construction is unusual in Queensland. The museum is decorated according to evidence of finishes from the 1870’s. This includes hand made wallpaper fixed to calico. The rooms are furnished to represent the better visitors’ accommodation downstairs and the working men’s rooms upstairs. Two rooms survive in original condition.approximately 800 items
A timber homestead built 1870's modified and extended many times. Interpreted c. 1904. The pise walls of the main house were washed away in 1893 floods and the timber frame resheeted in timber with wallpaper some of which survives intact. Moved to its present location in Coominya in 1975.800 items
The museum building was formerly a Scared Heart Convent of the Sisters of Mercy; two story timber 15mts x 25mts, internal walls are stained with tongue and groove crow's ash (1946). Yarraman Railway Station (1913) and Arthur Brown's butcher shop (c.1920). The grounds contain a scrub/rainforest area, farm machinery, plant shade house, water wise garden and unique water tank system from convent days. The total area is 1.2 hectares.The collection started in October 1997. Yarraman Heritage Centre has a wide range of community involvement, manly because of the necessity to attract large fundings...

Pages