Exploration

The National Library of Australia is the country's largest library and one of its leading research and reference libraries. As a major cultural institution, the National Library's role is to maintain and develop a national collection of library material to record the documentary heritage of all Australians, and to make those collections available for all Australians to use. The National Library was designed by Sydney architect Walter Bunning. It is situated on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, Australia's National Capital. With Parliament House and the National Gallery of...
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
Society of 40 persons dedicated to restoration of 1860's Hargraves Courthouse complex. Large triple solid brick courthouse and living quarters, semi attached via enclosed walkway, vertical iron bark slab kitchen (now fully restored), detached vertical slab laundry and large separate horizontal slab stables building. An 1860's public toilet is expected to be operational later in 2002. Hargraves is the site of the first underground gold mine in Australia, founded 1854.In addition to the buildings described above, the society has amassed a large collection of old photographs depicting the...
This Museum looks at the expedition of Count Laperouse through the Pacific between 1787-1788. The collection contains objects from Laperouse wrecks and generic navigational and maritime history. The Museum also has a growing local history collection.300 objects, 30 prints, 50 photographs (est)
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The Museum features a broad cross-section of photographs, text and memorabilia related to the cultural and natural history of Lord Howe Island from it's discovery in 1788 onwards.
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The complex incorporates three interesting collections and some outdoor exhibits. The Lady Denman museum blends European, aboriginal and maritime history with thematic displays on such topics as European discovery, early settlement, shipbuilding, shipwrecks, lighthouses, timber-getting, the Naval College and whaling. The Surveyor's Gallery features a world class collection of surveying equipment and tools. The Museum of Jervis Bay, Science and the Sea displays maritime artefacts, including navigational equipment from the mid 1700s to the discovery of Jervis Bay, cutlasses, swords,...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...
A Beau Geste-style fortress structure houses this social history museum. Its emphasis is on military history, with exhibits ranging from a Japanese tank to miniature soldiers. The Museum also features a historic comics section, stamps, hundreds of cameras, rare musical instruments and other items of general and Australian historical interest.
A small museum with a very comprehensive display of historical photos relevant to Yamba's history, some working models (eg. the lighthouse, the railway which was used to build Yamba's breakwater walls), some artefacts and a large quantity of reading material (newspaper cuttings, historical books etc).850 historical artefacts; 300 books; over 1,000 photographs, plus ten photograph albums and ten volumes of newspaper cuttings
This interactive museum and interpretive centre displays the best of the Broken Hill city mineral collection. The GeoCentre uses the wonders of Broken Hill geology to explain Earth Sciences, especially mineralogy, metallurgy and geological time.1000 - 2000 mineral specimens. Several hundred mining social history artefacts.
The Society was formed in 1963 and since 1968 has opeated a museum in the former School of Arts building, which is heritage-listed. The purpose of the Museum is the collecting, preserving and interpreting of local heritage for everyone. The Society aims to promote local history, including family history and the Museum collection, to the local community and the general public.Dungog Museum has a wide range of items representing local and family history. The collection reflects the area's rural history, including dairying and the timber industry, and local manufacturing including items from...
The Winton and District Historical Society have operated the Qantilda Museum since 1972. The members of the society are volunteers who donate their time to help educate people about the pioneers who built the outback. During the 28 year existence of the historical society a huge collection of outback memorabilia and artworks have been accumulated, documented and set out in such a way as to educate people on the livelihood of the aboriginal inhabitants and, the livelihood of the districts settlers and their descendants. A reading room, which is frequently updated, provides an immense...
The Museum is a heritage style building with a large veranda, the building is situated within a lovely park setting. The Museum presents a comprehensive series of displays, including an Aboriginal interpretive display, early pioneers and settlers hut, and a valuable collection of historical memorabilia. An early fire cart, a turn of the century telephone exchange and rail ambulance are but a few of the interesting exhibits on display. A new display on Mount Mulligan reflects the history on the 1921 mining disaster. Also a purpose built blacksmith shop at the rear of the Museum now shows cases...
The Historical Society of Cairns was formed by the School of Arts Committee in 1958 to study and record the history of Far North Queensland. It has fulfilled these aims admirably. Its publication program includes books such as Photographic Memories, Establishment Trinity Bay, Cairns Range Railway and Cairns Mulgrave Tramway, as well as several minor booklets and 485 monthly bulletins. The current membership of the Society is over 390 and growing. The Society has been housed in the School of Arts Building since its inception and is run by a dedicated group of voluntary workers and office...
The Stock Exchange, a grand masonry building on the main street, was built as The Royal Arcade in 1888. The Stock Exchange occupied the building in 1890.

The Assay Room is at the rear and contains items associated with mining history.Small collection of items, specimens, photographs and leases
Loudoun House Museum, former home of John Moffat, Queensland's greatest mining entrepreneur, was built in 1884 from North Queensland red cedar. It houses a mineral collection and memorabilia from the early mining days of this area, a very extensive photographic collection which depicts the town and life as it was in the early years of this century. It also has a good archival collection on mining history.3,000 photographs, 20,000 items
Housed in the Pier Marketplace, the museum contains a large collection of historic shipwreck relics from many ships, including relics of the famous "Pandora"; relics from Cook's "Endeavour"; and continuous films of Ben Cropp's adventures.Estimate over 1,000 items. Historical relics from shipwrecks on the North Eastern Australian coast. Maritime diving displays, undersea simulation, Ben Cropp's Wild Australia series videos run continuously. Relics and displays related to shipwrecks of Yongala, Pandora, Purpoise, Cambus Wallace, Aahrus, Eastern Argosy, Sun, Titanic, Batavia...

Pages