Genealogy

This family and local history Resource Centre has an extensive indexed collection relating to local people, places, events and topics along with family history files, birth and marriage certificates and photographs.Over 80,000 index cards listing information on local identities, businesses, towns etc. Approx. 1000 photographs of local people and places. Local church records, school registers, cemeteries, inquests.
Apollo Bay Old Cable Station Museum is housed in the Cable Station built in 1936 as the mainland terminal to the first undersea telephone link to Tasmania. The Museum is operated by the Apollo Bay and District Historical Society Inc.Approximately 5,000 photographs
Located in a restored funeral parlour, the collection includes over 2,000 photographs and local documents, bank deposits (1861-1890), newspapers and memorabilia. The collection also features records, including Linton cemetery records, Anglican Baptisms (1860-1990), Roman Catholic marriages (1893-1950), Presbyterian Church communion rolls (1880-1897). The Linton S.S. Register (1900-1937), and the Shire of Grenville Rate Book.
The Museum is dedicated to conserving and displaying items relating to the local history of the Borough of Queenscliffe since 1838. The diverse collection reflects the many aspects of the development of Queenscliffe; sea pilot station, fishing village, military guardian of Port Phillip Bay and fashionable sea-side resort. The museum building is set in a grassed reserve between the Post Office and the Library in the main street of Queenscliff and houses both temporary and permanent exhibitions.Photographs from 1862 representing people, buildings, installations and the marine environment....
In 1964 this historic building (c.1859) was converted into a museum. It had initially been the Maldon market, and then served as the shire hall and council chambers for a century. Its collection includes relics of the mining era, photographs, gowns, needlework and a unique Miners' Association banner (1882). Genealogy research is also available.Approximately 2000 specimens, 2000 photographs
The collection includes artefacts, documents, machinery and many photographs related to the district.200 items, 600 photos, local newspapers 1872-1940
This double-storeyed century old building features a beautiful staircase, tiling and doors, and stained glass windows. Some original fire places still remain. Entry includes a guided tour of this magnificent building.The display of war memorabilia from World War I and World War II is housed in two rooms of the building. There is also an extensive library. Also large collection of Photographs and Glass Slides.
The Museum opened in 1984 in the former Primitive Church. The Church is an 1870 blustone building which is part of the historic government precinct of the town. It contains many historic buildings which feature in photo displays in the museum. The museum has a collection of documents, photographs, school, cemetery and Amherst hospital records and artefacts presenting the history of the pioneers and early settlers of the district.The collection includes over 600 photographs, a large collection of historic records relating to schools, local government, local families, hospitals and a wide range...
Housed in an old ANA lodge the collection has proved useful to those studying local and family histories. A feature of the Centre are displays depicting the histories of the granite quarries and apple orchards of the area. Books on the local history are available for purchase.
This former Courthouse built in 1914 holds a collection of small domestic and agricultural artefacts on display and features a War Memorial Room. Documents include family, school, church, district, shire, sports and railway histories as well as ndividual files. Family research for inquiries is undertaken, using local resources and index of papers. Minute books of local organisations are stored safely. The museum also holds a collection of local historical objects.1300 photos and 500 artefacts and paper items all catalogued. Local community archival records in storage boxes; school registers...
Situated near the home of Dame Nellie Melba, the Museum provides the only permanent display of Melba memorabilia in Australia. Housed in the 1889 Shire Offices, the Museum also offers changing thematic exhibitions. The museum has recently undergone extensive renovations and restorations and offers a new program of exhibitions and activities. Exhibitions at the Museum include the life and times of Dame Nellie Melba and the rich and diverse social history of the Yarra Valley of Victoria.Estimated 5000 artefacts plus a collection of photographs
A collector's paradise, the Museum presents over 200 collections in thirty rooms. Set amidst five acres of International Gardens (the Savill Gardens), its special attractions include the fourteenth portable gaol built in Victoria and the state's smallest church.Estimate over 1 million items
High on a hill, with the mountain ranges as a backdrop, this 1882 pioneer home sits lovingly restored and furnished by the Wandin Community. The house built of hand made bricks produced on the site, was finished in 1862. It was built by Henry Sebire, a stonemason, who originally came from Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Journey back to pioneer life in the 1800's as your guide escorts you through the Homestead, St Mary's Chapel, the historic garden and other interesting buildings, or view the Wandin collection of artefacts in our Museum. You may simply want to visit Martha's tearoom and...
Built around 1855, the Victorian style double-storey building farmhouse is set in a spacious garden setting. It is furnished as a farmhouse of the 1875-1880 period, and is fully restored after an arson attack in 1994. Within the grounds are farm machinery, a smithy and buggy display, a Museum housing displays of artefacts, gowns and photographs and a Resource Centre.Approximately 500 items including archives and machinery
Housed in the old woodend Court House, the Resource Centre caters for local and family history inquiries. The collection is accessed by computers and a master file by over 100,000 cards. Microfilm, microfiche records, audio tapes and transcripts, school and cemetery records, photographs, rate books etc, make up the collectionEstimated 100,000 references and catalogued items
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
Housed in the Old School Building (c1870), the El Dorado Museum includes a collection of domestic items, mining relics, memorabilia, farming machinery and tools of trade. Photographs show the development of mining in the area. Members of the Trust are available to meet and provide information to tour buses and school groups at the Gold Dredge.Estimate 3 school rooms and several thousand items, plus large shed of carriages and farming machinery, including a blacksmith shop
The Museum is housed in a Trust National Building, which is currently undergoing restoration. There are many maritime objects, including models of ships and a scale model of "Gerberus". We also have early clothing, domestic articles, an historic signature quilt from World War I, which has been to Sydney on loan. We also have a sound effects machine, thousands of photographs, silverware, WWI memorabilia, family research and a bi-monthly newsletter.World War I memorabilia including a signature quilt made by the women of Williamstown including Jacka's signature. We have archival...
The collection includes local photographs and mining equipment, firearms, gold nugget replicas and genealogical recordsEstimated 70 firearms and 20 gold nugget replicas amongst a total of 10,000 items
This collection focuses on the history of Kew. Changing displays feature, artefacts, early scenes of Kew, (including tapestries and photographs), costumes (women's and children's) and an important collection of mayoral portraits. One of the tapestries illustrating the history of Kew, is on permanent display in the Library.Approximately 300 items

Pages