Genealogy

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
The National Library of Australia is the country's largest library and one of its leading research and reference libraries. As a major cultural institution, the National Library's role is to maintain and develop a national collection of library material to record the documentary heritage of all Australians, and to make those collections available for all Australians to use. The National Library was designed by Sydney architect Walter Bunning. It is situated on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, Australia's National Capital. With Parliament House and the National Gallery of...
A 1901 Federation style house and attached annexe, furnished in pre-1900 period. The annexe houses the Society's local and family history section. This includes photographs, a local library and all Grafton newspapers since 1859. The collection also includes local artefacts, memorabilia and documentation of early Grafton.Estimated 5,000 items and 10,000 photographs, plus 800 local history reference books in the library
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...

The village of Carcoar was founded circa 1836 and remains almost completely intact, untouched by the twentieth century. The Carcoar Historical Society are trustees for the Court House (built 1882). They also operate guided tours of the village and run Stoke Stable Museum which houses artefacts from the local area including a collection of horse-drawn vehicles. The Society also conducts local family history research.

Gledswood Farm Museum is an attraction of Gledswood Homestead, itself a tourist destination and heritage attraction. The museum is located in the granary of the coach house.422 artefacts, 196 photographs
Designed by world renowned Australian architect Glen Murcutt, the building in which this museum is housed is considered to be the first Australian building. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early time of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.Approximately 10,000 items. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from...
The Watchouse is an old stone lockup designed by the Government Architect Edmund Blackett and built in 1854. It houses a museum with a permanent display cell on the history of the Balmain peninsula, a photographic collection and a resource centre for local and genealogical inquiries about people, places and events on the peninsula. An exhibition space comprising three cells, the charge room, lobby and part of the former kitchen is available for hire.
This museum documents the history of Wyalong and West Wyalong. Its displays feature early rural machinery, historic photos, colonial household furniture, a mineral, fossil and bottle collection, extensive archives, period costumes, a silver and china collection, war memorabilia and musical exhibits. The museum is housed in a colonial cottage (c.1902).5,000 items; 2,000 photographs
This restored Court House built in 1877 houses a collection of historic photos of Stroud and district. It also displays information on the formation of the Australian Agricultural Company in London in 1824, the farm grant of 500,000 acres on the Port Stephen estate and local and family history.
Local museum with over 4,000 photographs and several books on the Hills District for purchase. The museum conducts local area tours for adults and children. Guest speakers are available. Research facilities for local and family history are also available.2,000 items, 4,000 photographs. Tool collection very good - complete set of wood working tools.
A small social history museum designed to show primary school students what life was like in Hornsby Shire when their grandparents were children. Set in the late 1930s, there is a pre-electric kitchen, corner stove, electrified laundry/bathroom with chip heater and a schoolroom, as well as a pictorial history of the development of the Shire and small changing displays. As part of the educational program, school groups can wash socks and play old fashioned school yard games in the park surrounding the museum. The museum also works well with nursing home and Alzheimers day care groups. Its...
The museum inhabits two colonial courthouses and a Police Station built between 1856-1886. It contains the historic NSW Police Museum collection which was established in 1910.Many of the artefacts concern crime, social history, Police, law and popular culture from bongs to batons to Judges wigs and bushrangers' firearms. It also showcases weird and wonderful relics from notorious crimes such as the Shark Arm Murder, the Pyjama Girl Case and the Thorne Kidnapping, as well as many original objects associated with such legendary bushrangers as Frank Gardiner, Ben Hall, Captain Moonlite and...
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The museum is housed in the upper level of Lismore Municipal Building, a heritage building. Its collection consists of artefacts, maps, photographs and archival material relating to the Richmond River District, and includes Aboriginal artefacts, coastal and river shipping material, local industries, and a unique display of local timber. The museum's meeting room is lined with local red cedar from former Kyogle station.
The Building housing museum is over 140 years old, previously RC Church Rawdon Island. Family tree research. Community based historical society. Story of Jimmy Governor, last outlaw of New South Wales walks. Timber and dairying and sugar industries.Local Community Archival Records, Photographs
The Museum features a broad cross-section of photographs, text and memorabilia related to the cultural and natural history of Lord Howe Island from it's discovery in 1788 onwards.
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
A truly 'old style' museum with artefacts and images crammed into every available space, including aboriginal artefacts (although most were donated to the new Minjungbal Aboriginal Museum at South Tweed Heads), thunder eggs from Mt.Warning's caldera, relics of the 'cedar-getter' era, farm tools & equipment, militaria, cameras, clothing, bottles, kitchen utensils, photographs, and check out the radio room with its wide range of communications equipment. The museum is run by volunteer curators from the Tweed River Historical Society. Research assistance is available for those investigating...

Pages