Genealogy

The museum is housed in the Hog Bay School building, the third school to be built on the site (1922). The first room you enter is the Maritime Room, this displays the history and shipwrecks of Kangaroo Island. The School Porch houses the displays of schooling. The Schoolroom has displays on Early Settlers, including aboriginal women, agriculture, industry, communications and social and domestic life are portrayed.2,000 items, 700 photographs. The displays are organised in such a way that the visitor quickly gains a feel for the history of Kangaroo Island, especially maritime, education, early...
A folk museum of memorabilia and photographs mainly of the years 1850-1950. Repository for museum items for perusal of future generationsApproximately 2,000 items, numerous photographs
Housed in the former Moonta Mines School is a collection of historical artefacts relating to the Cornish heritage and settlement of the district. Particular emphasis is placed on copper mining. Numerous records, photographs and microfilm are also held. The Moonta National Trust also operates an historic miner's cottage nearby, and an interpretive tourist railway through the former mine site.20,000 items, 5,000 photographs
The Museum is housed in the old police station built 1858 and the court room built 1867, opened in 1974. Main display in the court room is of the settlement and growth of the town from 1840 to circa 1940. Remaining rooms which house historical displays are the sitting room, kitchen, bedroom, nursery, and laundry. Outside are the original cells, stables and static displays of old farm machinery, horse drawn vehicles and 1880s shearing plant.Approximately 5,000 items, 2,000 photographs of local significance. Cottage crafts, craft, decorative arts, furniture, glass, paper, domestic items and...
The Museum's collections include household items, post office articles, and records, an old school room (1893), blacksmith's shop, farm implements and engines, housed in an 1870 home and outbuildings.700 - 800 items, approximately 200 photographs
The Museum is located in a former bakehouse comprising grocer's shop, dining room, kitchen, upstairs bedroom and parlour, wash house, underground bakery, implement sheds and portrait gallery. The bakehouse is a special feature and is historically very important.Approximately 800 items plus large quantity of photographs
Mary Mackillop, a woman ahead of her time - her work & motivation. Early education in Australia Father JT Woods - Priest. Scientist - His interesting and significant scientific work in the region. The Schoolhouse - Historic building of 1867. The Interactive centre was built in 1998 - Interesting Architectural design.Mainly text panels with supporting artefacts and early history of Penola and the region of South Australia.
Local history of the district from 1880. Special sections on agriculture, entertainment, sports, marine, schools, churches, transport, household items, photographs, maps and books. The museum if also responsible for the care of Stokes Methodist Church and Pioneer Women's Memorial. Caretakers of the Provis Memorial Park. Markers at the sites of early schools and other places of historical interest. Listing of the heritage listed buildings in the area.900 items, 450 photographs. Memorabilia of local - transport, churches, schools, shipping, shops, early settlers, agriculture, entertainment,...
The heritage listed Railway Station building serves as a centre for information on historical aspects of the area. Current publications are on sale, also displays of photographs, maps, charts etc and small items of memorabilia dealing solely with Port Elliot. Tickets are sold for "Steamranger" trips, Port Elliot to Goolwa being the first railway line in Australia. Souvenirs, Devonshire teas and drinks available. Guided walking tours and do-it-yourself brochures.250 photos and postcards, 50 posters, 120 other items
This 1860s Police Station and Courthouse complex are fine examples of colonial stonemasons' workmanship. The stonework consist of fieldstones (office), bluestone (courthouse), limestone and shingled stables, complete with blinden for windows. The cells have keyed in stonework roofs. Quoins and dressings are of sandstone. The collection consists of memorabilia of former Police Station use; C.J. Dennis ("The Sentimental Bloke" poet); and J. Mellor, stonemason; as well as historic photographs and general archival material.
Hope Cottage is one of three built in 1857 by the Calnan family, later to become known as Faith, Hope and Charity. The Museum holds a collection of photographs, books, shipwreck articles, tractors, engines and farm machinery (some restored to working order). A tower in the grounds carries the light transferred from Tippera Reef to Cape Willoughby in 1922. There is also a working model of a eucalyptus still and a working windmill.A wide variety of different articles from early Kangaroo Island. The cottage has the normal things found in a home in the early days including the first piano...
A local and social history museum depicting the heritage of Wallaroo. Main themes: copper mining and smelting period (1861-1923) History of the port of Wallaroo since 1861. General local history - sport, entertainment, industry, civic affairs and religion. Located in the first post office building 1865-1910. Has been Museum building since 1975.Over 3,000 exhibits depict the Industrial, Mining, Smelting, Maritime and Social History of the port of Wallaroo. The Museum is also home to the former Tipara Reef Lighthouse (1877-1996) Re-located to the Museum in 2001.
Founded in 1856, the Museum holds collections of natural and cultural history which are among the finest in Australia. Natural history displays of fossils, animals and minerals have an emphasis on South Australian specimens. The Museum's cultural history collections are renowned and include Australian Aboriginal, early Pacific and Ancient Egyptian cultures. The Museum Shop stocks quality merchandise, including Museum publications.The collection at the South Australian Museum has 3,000,000 natural science specimens, 446,000 library items, 100,000 anthropological items, 800 shelf metres of...
The Museum is in the former Railway Station, built in 1885, and adjacent goods shed; it was opened in 1971 the centenary year of Jamestown and district. Items in the Museum Collection have been donated by the local people & they all recall a past way of life. The display highlights people and events unique to Jamestown local people expect the museum to be the custodians of archival items donated by them, so the collection has changed as we have noticed an increasing interest in local and family history.The Museum has a diverse collection of household items and other things connected to...
Former customs and station master's house built in 1866/67 of Georgian style architecture. Four furnished rooms containing historical documents, photographs, pictures, portraits, displays, furniture and furnishings relevant to the early history of the area and its association with an overseas port and latterly with the railways. Shop with National Trust items, books, crafts, jams, souvenirs. The new Encounter Coast Discovery Centre houses a living display of the history of the Encounter Coast area from 1800 to 1900, with fascinating artefacts and audio narrative.
The Streaky Bay Museum is housed in the old school. It includes the family history of the Campbell family (1864), the Kelsh family (1860) Kelsh pioneer pug and pine cottage, the Freeman family (1856) and Mudge family 1855, as well as machinery dating back to the 1880s.A large collection of great variey. Furniture, household items, farm machinery, historic buildings, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and medical artefacts and instruments.. The collection is a source of local history of people and their way of life through the years.
The Museum holds a collection of Aboriginal artefacts and objects pertaining to European settlement of the Flinders Ranges.
Nestling in the heart of historic Port Adelaide, the South Australian Maritime Museum is an imaginative, contemporary museum spread over three sites. The Museum's main gallery is the 1850s Bond Store which houses three floors of interactive exhibitions bringing to life the maritime history of South Australia. A short walk from the main gallery is the 1869 lighthouse and the Museum's three floating vessels: the steam tug Yelta, the ketch Nelcebee, and the police launch Archie Badenoch.
The South Australian Maritime Museum is a Museum of the History Trust of South Australia.Estimated 20,...
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.

Pages