Horse Drawn Transport

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
New South Wales' leading non-metropolitan museum is housed in a converted brewery building, built in 1876. We provide permanent exhibitions on local themes (First World War, the 1989 earthquake, sport and Aboriginal people of the Hunter) together with a busy and varied touring exhibition schedule. During school holidays we often provide regular science shows on varying themes. Guided tours of the exhibits can be booked through the Museum Education Department.The collections concentrate on, but are not exclusively centred around, local, natural, social, domestic or industrial material and are...

The village of Carcoar was founded circa 1836 and remains almost completely intact, untouched by the twentieth century. The Carcoar Historical Society are trustees for the Court House (built 1882). They also operate guided tours of the village and run Stoke Stable Museum which houses artefacts from the local area including a collection of horse-drawn vehicles. The Society also conducts local family history research.

The museum, which is 100 years old, is weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof. The collection includes the MacCarthur Cloak (c1816), a world wide shell collection, 1000 years of monarchy, snow shoe and wooden skis from Scott's expedition, a pictorial history of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, historic clothing and a Telstra display.Old house full of local history. Farming machinery, war memorabilia, photographs, shells.
Gledswood Farm Museum is an attraction of Gledswood Homestead, itself a tourist destination and heritage attraction. The museum is located in the granary of the coach house.422 artefacts, 196 photographs
Designed by world renowned Australian architect Glen Murcutt, the building in which this museum is housed is considered to be the first Australian building. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early time of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.Approximately 10,000 items. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from...
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The museum, originally the Post Office Hotel, is of slab construction, with a puddled iron roof. Built in 1860, it was occupied continuously until 1970, (as a private home since World War I). The museum is furnished as a private home and features extensive photo and gem-rock collections. Other buildings in the grounds include a school and a blacksmith shop.2,000 items; 2,000 photos; 2,000 gems and minerals
This museum documents the history of Wyalong and West Wyalong. Its displays feature early rural machinery, historic photos, colonial household furniture, a mineral, fossil and bottle collection, extensive archives, period costumes, a silver and china collection, war memorabilia and musical exhibits. The museum is housed in a colonial cottage (c.1902).5,000 items; 2,000 photographs
This restored Court House built in 1877 houses a collection of historic photos of Stroud and district. It also displays information on the formation of the Australian Agricultural Company in London in 1824, the farm grant of 500,000 acres on the Port Stephen estate and local and family history.
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
The Headland Museum at Nambucca Heads is a small, uncluttered Museum with a large photographic display depicting the early days of timber and shipping in the area. Some fine pieces of furniture, china, and ceramics are housed in the Museum, as well as craft, kitchenalia and farming implements. Aboriginal artefacts are featured, including a genuine "King" plate. Records of shipwrecks on the Nambucca are available, as well as of general shipbuilding including the "Royal Tar". Early mill owners are documented and a good collection of timber working tools is on display. The...
Built with convict labour in 1836-1840, Henry Kendall Cottage was once the home of pioneer poet Henry Kendall. One room contains some of his possessions. The remaining rooms are furnished as an old cottage. An historical museum displays a wide variety of artefacts (eg domestic items, musical instruments) A slab shed features displays on early industries and there is also a shed exhibiting farm implements.. Other features include a replica 2 seater pit toilet and a slab wash-house.
The entry to the Lachlan Historical Village is the Trigilana Wool Shed. After crossing a suspension bridge, visitors can view the fifty five buildings which comprise the village, including stores, authentic homesteads, a bank, a school, the gaol and a gold mining area. Special features include Henry Lawson's childhood home, the home of bushranger Ben Hall and a medical hall with a collection of over 2,000 apothecary items.20,000 items, 500 photographs
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
John Verge designed the country homestead Bedervale set in a pleasant eight acre garden on a working rural property. The homestead adjoins an earlier enclosed courtyard and farmyard. It contains a unique collection of the original families furniture and personal effects from the 1840's and is still lived in as a home.Family collection from pre 1840 to 1900 in situ plus recent family additions. Australian and English furniture, china, paintings, household effects and kitchen utensils. Horse drawn vehicles and machinery.
The Museum features a broad cross-section of photographs, text and memorabilia related to the cultural and natural history of Lord Howe Island from it's discovery in 1788 onwards.
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
Built in 1851, Alne Bank is a late Georgian house of stuccoed rubble stone with cedar fittings and furniture. It has been the home of the Hindmarsh family for five generations, and it features a stone barn housing museum pieces, a family cemetery and a working dairy. One of its specialities is information on the history of cedar in the area.

Pages