Horticulture

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The first trees at the gardens were planted in 1945. After a period of rapid development in the 1960s, the gardens were opened to the public in 1967. The gardens occupy about 40 hectares on Black Mountain and include a herbarium.
The herbarium houses a large collection of pressed, dried plant specimens which are used for scientific research and as a reference for the identification of plants, including those growing at the gardens. The herbarium is not open to the public, except during special events.
The gardens are also involved in research into the botany, biology and...
Gledswood Farm Museum is an attraction of Gledswood Homestead, itself a tourist destination and heritage attraction. The museum is located in the granary of the coach house.422 artefacts, 196 photographs
Splendidly located on Sydney Harbour, Vaucluse House is nestled in a 19th century estate with a kitchen wing, stables and outbuildings. It is surrounded by 27 acres of gardens and grounds. The home of William Charles Wentworth, father of the Australian Constitution, his wife Sarah and family from 1827-1853, Vaucluse House depicts the social aspirations and lifestyles of the Wentworths and of the servants who lived and worked there.The interiors include original Wentworth pieces together with furniture, furnishings and collections of the early to mid 19th century.
This Scottish Baronial Style Mansion was built in the late 1880's by James Ewan. Glenleigh is said to be the finest example of Victorian interiors with stencilling of some degree in each room. Ceilings in the main rooms were specially painted by Italian artists to fit in with the character of the individual room.
Mary Boulton's Pioneer Cottage is a replica of an early settlers home with furnishings appropriate to the era. An outside shed displays a buggy, ploughs and farming tools and implements.Approximately 1,000 items
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
Elizabeth Bay House was constructed from 1835-1839, under the supervision of N.S.W based architects John Verge and John Bibb, from plans obtained from an unidentified English source for Alexander Macleay, Colonial Secretary of N.S.W 1826-1837 and his wife, Eliza. The house was intended to be the finest house in the colony. It was built within a celebrated landscape garden which was developed from 1826 onwards. Today the interiors of Elizabeth Bay house have been carefully reconstructed to the 1839-1845 period. Appropriate furniture, wallpaper, carpets, soft furnishings and fittings...
The Yanco Powerhouse was built in c1913 to supply power to the Murrumbidgee irrigation area. The building was extended in 1937 and decommissioned in 1957 when electricity from the Snowy Mountains Scheme became available. An all concrete construction, the Power House is five stories high with a large chimney stack. Since restoration work the building has been used as a museum displaying mostly farm machinery and items of local history. A flat is available for rent and the museum has a sixty seat theatrette. Work has commenced on a photo gallery which will display a wide range of images...
Eryldene is a charming house and garden situated in the heart of Ku-ring-gai on Sydney's North Shore. The Georgian Revival style house was designed by distinguished Australian Architect William Hardy Wilson in 1913 for Professor E.G. Waterhouse and his wife Janet and named after her family home in Kilmarnock, Scotland. Both the house and the garden are protected by a permanent conservation order issued by the NSW Heritage Council in 1979. It is recognised as the finest example of Hardy Wilson's work.

Prof. Waterhouse, a world authority on camellias, designed the unique garden...
The Turkish Bath Museum, having been built in the 1880's by Richard Wynne, a founder of Mt Wilson and the benefactor for the Wynne Art Prize for Landscape and Sculpture, is situated on a hill facing north overlooking the Blue Mountains National Park and is part of the heritage estate of 'Wynstay' which is listed on the State Heritage Register. The Museum is also on the National Heritage register. Now partly conserved, it is a stylish building with beautifully stained and hand painted glass windows, polychrome brick work, Italianate decoration and an elaborate turret. Although there is only...
Nutcote was the harbourside home of the famous children's author and illustrator May Gibbs. It was built to her design in 1925 by acclaimed Sydney architect B.J Waterhouse. She lived there for forty four years until her death in 1969. Following a nation-wide outcry at the proposed demolition by a developer, the house was bought by the North Sydney Council and opened to the public in 1994.May Gibbs' property and possessions were sold on her death and the funds given to children's charities. The main items in the collection are the house itself and the garden; some items of furniture originally...
The Eurobodalla Regional Botanic Gardens and associated Herbarium occupy 83 ha of mostly dry forest with some moist creek areas, 5kms from the NSW south coast town of Batemans Bay. The majority of the land is undeveloped but with made tracks and enhancement plantings. Display gardens are situated in the carpark and around the visitors' centre, picnic area and arboretum. The Gardens only display regional plant species.Living plants - 10,000 plants, 1,500 species. Herbarium specimens - 8,000; photographs of local plant species - 400
The Museum is a heritage style building with a large veranda, the building is situated within a lovely park setting. The Museum presents a comprehensive series of displays, including an Aboriginal interpretive display, early pioneers and settlers hut, and a valuable collection of historical memorabilia. An early fire cart, a turn of the century telephone exchange and rail ambulance are but a few of the interesting exhibits on display. A new display on Mount Mulligan reflects the history on the 1921 mining disaster. Also a purpose built blacksmith shop at the rear of the Museum now shows cases...
The museum represents the social and natural history of Eumundi through displays and historical documentation. The museum has digitised it's photographic collection and provides access to these images through a computer situated within the museum. Further records are added regularly. The museum is situated in the former Methodist church, built in 1911.300 objects, 200 natural history specimens, 2 500 photographs. The Eumundi Historical Museum contains social history collections, family history documentation, a comprehensive natural history collection and an extensive collection of historical...
The Museum has a large collection of photographs covering pioneer families, Aborigines, ex-servicemen from World Wars I and II, and modern photographs - all tracing Theodore's development. The displays include the history of early station families, arts and crafts, a pioneer kitchen and bedroom, Aboriginal artefacts, town plans and farm machinery.
Located in the main street adjacent to closed ANZ Bank, Café and B&B, the museum is housed in five buildings which contain a varied collection of items and memorabilia depicting life and activities from the surrounding shire area. The main building contains a reconstructed general store and barber shop, and rooms have been outfitted with furniture depicting a parlour and bedroom from the 1920s. A slab shed, built with materials from local properties, holds mining and agricultural equipment. Many exhibits depict rural life from earlier times, including examples of fencing, a horse works...
The museum building was formerly a Scared Heart Convent of the Sisters of Mercy; two story timber 15mts x 25mts, internal walls are stained with tongue and groove crow's ash (1946). Yarraman Railway Station (1913) and Arthur Brown's butcher shop (c.1920). The grounds contain a scrub/rainforest area, farm machinery, plant shade house, water wise garden and unique water tank system from convent days. The total area is 1.2 hectares.The collection started in October 1997. Yarraman Heritage Centre has a wide range of community involvement, manly because of the necessity to attract large fundings...
The museum's collection was commenced by the late Arther Jeffrey in 1972 and is housed in two buildings. The original museum has been moved to its present site and restored to hold memorabilia of early shire life. The main building houses Maritime and Endeavour displays, aboriginal artefacts, a photographic display and the reading room. Also on display are natural history objects including Sir Joseph Banks' plant studies, as well as coral, shell, fossil and rock collections .Significant items in the collection include the Endeavour voyage book, objects relating to Banks and Solander and their...

Pages