Outdoor

Built in the 1890's Carbethon was moved from Haden to Crow's Nest and opened as a folk museum in 1979. Historic house 'Carbethon' is the centrepiece, featuring local history and agricultural items and situated in a pioneer village of fifteen buildings. Buildings in the complex include a working printery, wireless shop, butcher's shop, blacksmith's shop, machinery shed, photographer's studio, church, slab huts, and a one teacher replica school. Other displays include Aboriginal artefacts, a native beehive and an Aboriginal honey tree.Items and history of lifestyle from early settlement (1870'...
Situated on the site of the original camping ground of the teamsters on the old Drayton/Toowoomba Road is the Laidley Pioneer Village. It was the first Village Complex in Queensland and for the last 25 years has entertained thousands of visitors and instructed thousands of school children in the ways of our early pioneers. The result of hard work by the Laidley District Historical Society (Inc) it now proudly boasts an authentic pioneer slab cottage; 100 year old school (complete with all requisites); blacksmith's shop; dairy; country store and post office; police cells; the original Shire...
Railco is a non profit company devoted to restoring and running steam trains. The Ravenshoe railway line is a full size, operating steam railway with original railway infrastructure and buildings. The train runs along the highest track in Queensland - a steeply graded and sharply curved pioneer line through hilly forested countryside. The railway features five first class fully restored timber carriages and a D17 tank engine "Capella". The 7km tourist trip takes one hour.8km track, 4 timber bridges, two locomotives, 15 items of rolling stock etc.
Texas has a population of some 900 and has all necessities for shopping, health and sport. "Whyalla" feedlot, the largest in the southern hemisphere, is chief employer. Glenlyon and Coolmunda Dam and Dumaresq river provide fishing and boating venues. Numerous native birds for bird watching.All photos in albums cover early Texas, mining village, tobacco industry, social and sporting life of the area.
Scattered through the Park is an old machinery display from mining days. Rows of gum trees were planted to commemorate the Croydon Centenary in 1986.
Where the largest collection of Aussie wildlife roams free on 27 hectares of lush gardens and bushland, only metres from Currumbin Beach. Hand-feed lorikeets, pat kangaroos, sidle up to a snake, delight to a wildlife show, trek through the amazing rainforest aviary, cuddle a cute koala.

Experience something special around every track as you ride the miniature steam train. Tassie devils, wombats, tree kangaroos, cassowaries, dingoes, crocodiles, emus and echidnas are among the amazing range of native Australian wildlife to encounter throughout the park.Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary...
Eight separate buildings: The historic pioneer house, the one teacher school, the blacksmith shop, the Government Shed are equipped. Sheds house the farm machinery, stationary engines and fir engine, while a separate museum centre contains a library, photographic and interpretive displays, taped histories and various documents relating to social history. All in bushland setting.Kimba's local history museum includes pioneer domestic and farming items, stationary engines, harness vehicles and equipment, vintage trucks and tractors, a water conservation model, schooling and communication...
Five buildings house a collection of old machinery, some of which have been restored.
The Loxton Historical Village has been developed to preserve the history and way of life of the early settlers with the emphasis on the struggle and growth of the farming community from its beginning in 1895. The project started with the building of the pine and pug hut in 1970. There are now over 30 buildings. A mallee stump weighing one and a half tons carries the plaque commemorating the opening by Don Dunstan in 1973.
The Town is on a 20 acre site which houses ninety buildings laid out in an old town setting. It includes eleven streets, a railway line with fourteen carriages and a station. The shops, houses and public building are furnished from 1880 to 1950. Visitors feel they have stepped into the past from the present day.
Hope Cottage is one of three built in 1857 by the Calnan family, later to become known as Faith, Hope and Charity. The Museum holds a collection of photographs, books, shipwreck articles, tractors, engines and farm machinery (some restored to working order). A tower in the grounds carries the light transferred from Tippera Reef to Cape Willoughby in 1922. There is also a working model of a eucalyptus still and a working windmill.A wide variety of different articles from early Kangaroo Island. The cottage has the normal things found in a home in the early days including the first piano...
Electric vehicles provided the main public transport in Adelaide in the five decades from 1909. The Museum has 19 preserved electric trams, which it operates, and also 4 trolley buses, a horse car and a 1950s diesel bus. Street furniture, technical equipment, photographs and memorabilia are featured in the interpretive Display Gallery. Admission includes unlimited rides on the trams operating each open day. The trams run on a 2 kilometre track from the museum to the beach.25 vehicles
Luhr's cottage is the original dwelling of the Lutheran School's first school teacher and his wife and family of 6 children (one stillborn). It has been furnished to match the era. It is constructed of pug and timber (Redgum) and fronted by a cottage garden. At the rear is a room dedicated to schoolroom items including large pupils desk, copy books, readers and German wall charts. In the shed are agricultural machines and a German wagon.Housed in Luhr's Cottage is a collection of homewares and bric a brac relating to the German heritage of Light Pass and the Barossa Valley. The "...
Geralka is a modern broadacre farming property, producing wool and grain. The land was originally part of the old Bungaree run established in 1841. A section of the farm has been established to receive visitors. Guided tours show how a modern farm works. A major attraction has been established depicting the development of agriculture in South Australia with a collection of over 300 vintage implements and working Clydesdale horses. An underground copper mine complex depicts the copper history of SA. A brochure is available which provides fuller details.Over 300 farm implements and...
The museum is designed to reflect the industries and lifestyle of the district since settlement. The buildings, constructed to house machinery, were architecturally designed to resemble farm buildings and have all been built by voluntary labour from local community groups. The main shed displays pictures and machinery related to specific industries e.g. wool, dairy and mining. Aspects of lifestyle are captured in a two room cottage, nursery, and clothing display. A recent acquisition is a small 100 year old church moved to the grounds from its original site.Approximately 300 farm and...
Situated in the picturesque Koppio Hills, the Museum consists of a fully restored blacksmith shop built in 1903, an historic cottage, also restored, and displays of farm machinery and other items of interest from around the turn of the century. There is also a district school building housing memorabilia and Aboriginal artefacts, and a restored pine log cottage, c1890, Glenleigh. Heritage Hall contains Jericho family treasures and the Bob Dobbins Barbed Wire collection.Approximately 10,000 items, plus photographs. The museum covers 1 hectare, with fourteen buildings - i.e.. Old homes, small...
The Burra Mine was the largest metal mine in Australia, with typically Cornish surface and underground operations. The mine was worked for copper from 1845 to 1877. Between 1971 and 1981 the mine was reworked by open cutting. The Open Air Museum contains extensive remains of the mining operation. Also on the site is the Engine-house Museum, the only reconstructed Cornish Engine-house in the world. Admission to the Engine-house Museum is by separate fee. (See separate AMOL directory entry).50 different books and souvenirs for sale
The enginehouse has been fully restored (1986), apart from the original engine. A scale model (1:16) is fully operational and explained by guides. Videos (x3) provide further relevant information as do information boards on all three floors. Walks outside include; via a restored adit into the retimbered shaft, access to Morphett's Windinghouse, pool, mine offices and cottages, Grave's enginehouse and view of open-cut mine.Model and information boards mentioned above. Scale model of jinker. Mining artefacts, including cabinets inside of more sensitive material (e.g. 1820's pocket bible)....
The museum is located in the repaired ruins of large ornate brick engine houses, built in 1905 for the Beaconsfield "Tasmania" gold mine. This 950sqm space is augmented by a 540sqm new building, outside space and a near-by park depicting the flowery gully school and a miner's cottage. A viewing platform overlooks the surface operational area of the Beaconsfield Mine Joint Venture. Average viewing time for the museum is 1 hour.2,000 items. Relics of Tasmania's largest gold mine 1878-1914, which produced 26 tonnes of gold. Adjacent to a large new mine about to produce gold from the...
Main Street Burnie as it was in 1900 at the height of the towns first Economic boom is regarded in this bustling street and include an INN, Dentist's Surgery, A Home, Carpenters, Printery, General Store and Saddlery. Authentic 19th Century materials, colours and Architectural styles have been used in the reconstruction.The collection was established in 1942 and consists of photographs, charts, clothing, tools, personal effects and furnishings.

Pages