Outdoor

A narrow gauge bush railway with 7km of track extending from the main road to a disused jetty near Southport passing scenic and historic sites. At certain times of the year a steam locomotive is used.
Pearn's Steam Museum is a volunteer group dedicated to the restoration and preservation of early agricultural heritage.The collection includes Foden, Birdsall, Fowler, Buffalo Pitts, Avelinga, Porter and Eclipse steam traction engines. Railway memorabilia, stationary engines, associated farm and household tools, implements, tractors, fairground organ, miniature train travel on a 500m loop of the complex.
Port Arthur Historic Site is the pre-eminent symbol and most outstanding example of Australia's convict system.

Port Arthur exerted great cultural influence within Tasmania and throughout Australia as the focal point of a large-scale penal and industrial enterprise which encompassed the entire Tasman Peninsula and Southern Tasmania.

In its peak Port Arthur was the second largest penal system settlement in Australia and was often referred to as 'hell on earth'.

Today, PAHS encompasses over 40 hectares and features more than 30 restored buildings, ruins and...
The Society is devoted to re-opening the scenic and historic Derwent Valley railway for steam and diesel. It provides diesel-electric hauled day excursions to National Park as well as occasional trips to other destinations on the Tasmanian railway network. The Society has three 1951 vintage steam locomotive, 3 1950/1961 vintage diesel electric locomotives, 3 articulated passenger carriages circa 1950, 2 standard carriages of 1940s vintage, and assorted freight wagons.3 locomotives, 5 carriages, assorted freight wagons
A railway museum with working and static exhibits. Has several kilometres of track along the Don River and operates daily passenger trains powered by steam locomotives from the Museum to the Don Heads. It has a large and varied collection of steam locomotives and passenger carriages dating from 1869 to 1951.
Woolmers is of outstanding cultural significance because it has continuous association with the one family (Thomas Archer and his descendants), providing and encapsulated record of six generations of the family and the changes to their lifestyle, from the time the land was first settled in the Longford area, to the death of the last heir in 1994. It is the longest association in Tasmania. Woolmers has small museum status.Apart from the original house (1819) and the new additions in 1840's. The Extant outbuildings, workshop, cottages plant and artefacts are a unique record of the scale of...
A railway museum with working and static exhibits including Tasmania's oldest surviving steam locomotive. Trains run on the hour 10am to 4pm on a scenic line along the Don River to Coles Beach, Devonport. A large and varied collection of steam and diesel locomotives and passenger and revenue stock dating from 1869 to 1954. Stations, Signal box, communication equipment and railway memorabilia.11 x Steam Locomotives ; 7 x Diesel Locomotives and rail cars ; 26 x Passenger/Guards carriages, (50 +) x wagons and flat tray wagons, Railway cranes, extensive collection of tools, engineering equipment...
A visit to the state mine in Wonthaggi is a journey back to the difficult working conditions of the mining days past. Preserved and managed by Parks Victoria for future generations, this original mine gives visitors opportunity to venture underground and gain an understanding of the life of a miner seventy years ago.

Access to the mine today is via a gently sloping inclined tunnel. On most occasions visitors walk into the mine, while those experiencing walking difficulties can ride underground on skips (carts). All groups return to the surface on the skips to save an walk uphill!...
The permanent display of various steam engines is supplemented by exciting rallies each May and November.Large collection of restored steam engines, traction engines, steam rollers, internal combustion engines, farm tractors, restored farm cottage displaying old wares etc, working 90 tonne steam shovel, working steam powered 'power' generating display.
The Puffing Billy Railway is assisted by the efforts of over 700 volunteers from the Puffing Billy Preservation Society. The Society has over 1,000 members and these people help in the daily running of our world famous railway.5 Operating 'NA' Class Locomotives, 1 Climax Locomotive, 1 Beckett Locomotive, 2 De Caulville Locomotives, 3 Diesels, 36 Carriages, 10 Fright Wagons.
This Gallery is housed in a purpose built structure, and is set in 4.5 hectares of cultivated bushland which is being developed as an Australian Sculpture Park. The collection consists of over 1000 works, specialising in works on papers such as Australian and English watercolours of the 18th and 20th centuries. The Gallery also focuses its collecting in Australian Sculpture, of which many modern pieces are on permanent displays in the grounds. There is also a notable collection of Meldrum School paintings.
The restored Common School (1874) and the Salvation Army Hall (1926) now form a historical complex which is used by the Society for displays and the storage of local heritage items of historical value.Approximately 600-1000 items
The museum takes its name from its world famous grapevine as noted in The Guinness Book of Records. The grapevine, which was planted in 1866 still bears fruit. The museum's exhibits include an antique furniture display, invalid feeding mugs and over 50 jug "samples". Its outdoor displays in reconstructed stables feature a working drag saw and a chaff cuter. The museum is also the site of a fully operating movie theatre, which was built in 1866.Several hundred
Maintenance of complex: Buildings to house furniture/Artefacts in the style of the turn of the century. Cottage is pre-gold rush sandstone and weatherboard. Brick "Forge" Shop & Weatherboard wheelwright and paint shed, also earth closet and pavilion.Inside furnished as a lived in home - (cottage style) domestic items and technology, social history and local history (cards and photos) Outside shows horse-transport, tools, metalwork, trades and cultural heritage.
Churchill Island is a State Park and Sanctuary which features historic buildings, artefacts and an Agricultural Museum. The historic buildings date from 1866. The Agricultural Museum houses a unique collection of farm engines, machinery, tools and implements. Dairy equipment is displayed in the main homestead. Other features include historic garden surrounds, shoreline walking tracks and 400 year old moonah trees.102 items plus photographs
The authentic site and buildings of this inland port which feature an historic red gum wharf. The collection includes a fleet of barges, original river paddle-steamers, railway carriages, locomotives and a selection of allied steam machinery. A museum shed houses a variety of maritime artefacts. Cruises are available on three working steamers.Approximately 3 working historic steamers plus a museum shed with artefacts
A large collection of vehicles from 1900 to models of the 1950s and 1960s, together with a collection of memorabilia, are displayed in a large galvanised iron building designed to look like an old time garage. More vehicles awaiting restoration are displayed outside, at the rear of the building. Vehicles being restored can be viewed in a modern workshop.Over 100 historic vehicles in various stages of restoration, with 20 fully restored
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
The Museum contains displays of Corps and related military memorabilia, as well as an outdoor display of over forty restored vehicles. Many other vehicles of relevance to the RACT and its predecessor Corps are awaiting work which will restore them to their original condition.Estimated 54 restored vehicles and 11 awaiting restoration work
The museum was established over 30 years ago and is operated by the Australian Railway Historical Society (Victoria Division). The museum is a collection of Victorian railway locomotives; steam, diesel and electric - dating from 1879 up to the present day. Several carriages and collections of railways memorabilia are on display. The museum is housed in part of the old Newport Workshops where many of the locomotives were manufactured.The museum's exhibits reflect an era when rail was the major transport providor for passengers and freight around the state. The collection includes 25...

Pages