Outdoor

Sovereign Hill is a dynamic group of museums that captures the mining and social history of Ballarat. Its principle components are: an outdoor museum that represents the diggings and township of Ballarat in the period 1851 to 1861; the Sovereign Quartz mine consisting of above-ground mining plant and below ground mining museum; the 'Blood on the Southern Cross' sound and light show that tells the story of the Eureka Stockade rebellion; the Gold Museum which presents temporary and permanent exhibitions exploring the history of the district, encompassing both Ballarat social history and Koori...
This outdoor museum presents the technical, social, economic and ecological history of the timber industry in the Rubicon Forest from the period 1900-1950. This is done through a working Timber Tramway, a display of logging technology, models of sawmill and associated settlement buildings, photographic displays and a proposed working steam sawmill.Four display rooms, 5 hectare outdoor display. 7 locomotives, 1 steam traction engine, 2 portable steam engines, 1 vertical boiler and pumps, one kilometre 610mm rail track, plus numerous other working engines.
The 23 kilometre Avenue of Honour is the longest of its type in the world. Consisting of 3,912 trees, it commemorates those who served in World War I from the City of Ballarat. The Arch of Victory and a Memorial Wall mark the entrance to the Avenue.3,912 Trees with plaques incorporating service personal details in Memorial Avenue, plus The Arch of Victory and Memorial Wall at entrance.
This museum provides an overview of mining in Australia. It includes displays on prospectors, mineral discovery and the government's role in mining. On the heritage site visitors can tour the 1893 underground mine, watch a gold pour demonstration or try their luck at panning for gold. The seven hectare site displays a diverse collection of mining memorabilia including site-historic headframes and numerous heritage buildings.Approximately 600 to 800 mining objects, plus a collection of minerals from the National Museum of Australia.
Whiteman Park is a large conservation and leisure reserve that also provides a home and operating contect for 5 independent community museum organisations: Motor Museum of WA; Tractor Museum of WA; Bus Preservation Society of WA; Perth Electric Tramway Society; and the WA Light Railway Preservation Association. Whiteman Park's own display includes horsedrawn wagons and equipment, a mining headframe and steam shovel, printing equipment and traditional railway buildings.
The Park is also the home of the Whiteman Collection (see Separate AMOL listing).Each museum manages its own...
Kalamunda History Village is a local history museum on the site of the original Kalamunda railway station yard. The two original station buildings and platform are listed as buildings of significance by the National trust of Australia. To this site the original Kalamunda School, the first two Post Offices and three domestic buildings have been relocated as well. Hence a village-like atmosphere is created around the station yard.

Three domestic buildings: a pioneer's cottage dated at 1881 (off site), a 1900s settler's cottage and a 1920's guest house are presented as period...
The museum is an eclectic array of mining and agricultural equipment, horse and camel-drawn vehicles and miscellany such as a water tank and old business signs. The collection is arranged in an open-air park which features large gum and Chinese pepper trees and has a picnic bench and table. Quirky statues of locally important identities such as Tommy Windich, Ernest Giles and Warden Finnerty line the picket fence facing Bayley Street, the main street of Coolgardie. The collection was amassed by local garage owner, the late Ben Prior, who found most of the objects whilst prospecting for gold...

Pages